Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 11:54 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,179,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

As you go East, house prices go up. This is because they are closer to Chicago and offer shorter commutes. Maybe that's changed post-covid, but I doubt it.
Yep, generally accurate, and with the exception of a place like Naperville that has a good express train to downtown even though it's like 30 miles out, but that is definitely why places like LaGrange, Western Springs, Elmhurst, Downers Grove, Park Ridge, etc. are all expensive, in combination with having good to very good schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 04:28 PM
wjj

950 posts, read 1,362,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizamoo2 View Post
Hello! My family is moving from Austin Texas, and we are looking for a Chicago suburb with good schools, a diverse population, affordable housing, and good character. We like how Naperville and Arlington Heights/Buffalo Grove look on paper but we don't really know. We're going to visit in early June but I thought I would ask if anyone had any insight into which area is better. Maybe we could save ourselves some time and just focus on one area. Thanks so much in advance for anyone's insights!

Please define....
1. Good character
2. Diverse population
3. Affordable housing

Old 05-17-2022, 08:28 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizamoo2 View Post
My husband and I both work remotely so it's more a matter of the feel of the area and whether or not the schools are good. We've looked at a lot of houses and schools, but we were hoping to get an insiders view of what the towns are like. Are people friendly or do they keep to themselves? Is it diverse and segregated or do people seem to mix? Is everyone rich or is there a nice mix of people? That kind of thing. Just if you happen to know anything about that. If not, no worries, thanks for the response!
Since you work remotely affordability comes up as an issue. Maybe the area of St Charles-Geneva-Batavia offers something. Naperville may be oversold as a "hot" market. As you go west get closer to the edge of the hustle of the city. Character comes from downtown development along the Fox river.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:59 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,862,731 times
3 of the nicest suburbs in the country. Can’t go wrong with any of them. All very diverse and good schools. Naperville may have a slightly nicer downtown/towncenter area.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:59 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times
RENT FIRST!!, in one of the desired areas to get a feel for the entire local and Chicago area. Having said that, what's your budget? And gotta ask, are you familiar with living and driving in the snow, cold?

Last edited by BOBNCHI; 05-19-2022 at 06:24 AM..

Old 05-24-2022, 10:06 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
Naperville. You can't go wrong. I don't know much about Buffalo Grove. I do like Arlington Heights but I think Naperville is better in many ways. You can't beat the charming town. Its big and it has everything you need. I live a stone's throw from Naperville and its a wonderful place to live. I'd skip Geneva and St. Charles as being too far in my opinion for jaunts into the city. Naperville is right off I-88 and its easy to get to Chicago or other suburbs from there. Geneva and St. Charles are not well served by expressways and trains. If you hate the city and never want to go there, they might be a choice. I think schools are better in Naperville and there is some diversity.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:17 AM

155 posts, read 212,779 times
Have you considered Mount Prospect? We considered AH and chose Mount Prospect due to lower taxes and location. Happy to chat and share info/

Old 05-26-2022, 12:35 PM

11 posts, read 13,641 times
Not an expert on any of these suburbs, but as a chicagoland native who went to UIUC, I can say that I've met a lot of smart peers from all the schools in these towns, especially Naperville and Stevenson schools.

Old 06-02-2022, 06:29 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
I lived in Naperville for 15 years and had our kids go through the whole school system. From 2004-2019.

Naperville is a very nice town with amazing schools, both districts. It's a high achieving populace where people make their own money (as opposed to family wealth). The downtown is unbeatable in the suburbs - a gathering spot for families, students, adults, etc. The park district is solid. The library system has won national awards.

With all of that one might think it's a snobby place, or unaffordable. The latter is definitely false, as I found it to be more affordable than suburbs to the north and east. Snobbery is a personal thing - the lower you are on the socioeconomic scale the more you may think it's snobby. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the poor end and 10 being the rich end of the population, we were probably a 4. Thus, we fit in with people but there were definitely families that had way more than we did, and we felt "below average". Didn't bother us too much but it might bother some.

Naperville is way more diverse than people think. And Aurora is next door, which is VERY diverse and a lot of the kids in d204 all go do school together with Aurora and Naperville mixed.

The Neuqua Valley High School zone is definitely the richest one, in either district, and it has a reputation as such.
Metea Valley and Waubonsie are below that and both have very diverse student bodies. Metea and Waubonsie have more of a friendly rivalry and both love to beat Neuqua....Naperville North and Naperville Central are D203, and Central is an awesome school right by downtown - there is a little snobbery but it's not too bad.

Naperville is divided into subdivisions. Everyone lives in some named subdivision and what this does is unintentionally advertise how much money you have. Honestly though, in my experience people didn't care. Most were plenty nice and comingled just fine, and most of that issue is within one's own level of security. This isn't Winnetka.

Keep in mind, it's a competitive place. So you need to jump on opportunities to get your kid into sports, activities, etc. Families in Naperville are very involved and go above and beyond for their kids - if you sleep on that, you'll be too late and stuff will get full.
This is actually pretty spot on. I'll add that Naperville is transient central and full of corporate relos, so it might be easier to fit in there.

Also, if either you or your spouse have a "VP" right behind your name on your business card and/or email signature line, you'll fit right in.

Do you like being around Indians and/or are you Indian yourselves? 25-30% of the student age population is Indian--even more so in 204.

RE market is beyond hot there.

Btw, I hated every minute of living in that town next to the most uninteresting human beings who've all been brainwashed into thinking that their kids are somehow going to change the world....but I can't deny its popularity and/or ease of living--schools/parks/libraries/safety/shopping/restaurants and the best suburban downtown.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:59 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
This is actually pretty spot on. I'll add that Naperville is transient central and full of corporate relos, so it might be easier to fit in there.

Also, if either you or your spouse have a "VP" right behind your name on your business card and/or email signature line, you'll fit right in.

Do you like being around Indians and/or are you Indian yourselves? 25-30% of the student age population is Indian--even more so in 204.

RE market is beyond hot there.

Btw, I hated every minute of living in that town next to the most uninteresting human beings who've all been brainwashed into thinking that their kids are somehow going to change the world....but I can't deny its popularity and/or ease of living--schools/parks/libraries/safety/shopping/restaurants and the best suburban downtown.
Pretty accurate. I found the parents, in many cases, to be OVERLY worshipping of their children. I mean, it's good they love them though - better than the other way around. But at times I felt it nauseating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs