Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 08:10 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times

Advertisements

Location to jobs and appropriate child supervision is going to be HUGE -- you don't want to be in situation with three kids where you'd need a long commute and lots of before/after care. What about SUMMER? It would be real easy for kids to get involved in with the wrong crowd and end up making you a grandmother before 35 or worse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 15,655 times
Thanks Thepr you are a great help!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:49 PM

5 posts, read 15,655 times
To chet everett
I dont have to worry about long commute and I'm married to my children's father so child supervision is no problem, my children don't roam the street ''we'' keep an close eye on our children so with the good lords help getting involved with the wrong crowd and having babies are out of the question right now! I have really respectable children sorry not this Mom! remind you my children are 12 9 and 7 and they still act like kids suppose to.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:57 AM

47 posts, read 164,643 times
Take a look at Schaumburg. Its in a good location with lots of things to do.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:19 AM

945 posts, read 1,987,603 times
Default suburbs

Wheaton is a great community with award winning schools. My advise would be to pay attention to the real estate taxes. Many suprubs have what are called "unincorporated areas" with directional letters in their addresses. These tax bills are significantly less than any "city" address a home is annexed to. For example, a $550,000 house in Wheaton incorporated will be over 10,000 a year while the same valued house in unincorporated will have a tax bill under $8,000 a year. The schools are the same, park district ammenities the same for dist. 200 kids, ect. and it seems no one pays attention to this very important, fixed, yearly increased item and what it will mean to thier monthly payment when buying a home. Taxes in St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, Naperville, are ALL much higher on the same $550,000 home. In some cases, $12,-15,000 per year! Agents will not "educate" you on this VERY important cost so be careful. While Naperville might get you a few more "bells and whistles", the commute is a nightmare to most other places, depending on where your employment is, often the Sq. footage is less, just fancier, and the tax bill is HUGE!

Give Wheaton a try. You won't go wrong! Truly a wonderful, wonderful town. We are in our 4th and final home in Wheaton where we have lived for the last 17 years! Our kids love it and it is one of those towns where you really do get to know your community because you see familiar faces at the grocery store, etc.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:27 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
Hi, we live in Sugar Grove and it is a nice suburb. Since I don't really know what you are looking for, I can tell you that our population is around 9,000. we are in the Kaneland School district and are about 50 miles west of Chicago. We border Aurora, Montgomery.
We have a variety of home prices. We don't have much in the way of shopping etc. We do have grocery shopping though. We are building a new library and Kaneland is building a new middle school in town. Property taxes are comparable to other communities out here. a 300,000 home is around 6,750. Waubonsee Community College is located here in town too. There is not any public transportation available as of yet.
hope the info helps!
ps
my husband grew up in springfield and a lot of his family still lives there!

Old 10-07-2011, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 726 times
im currently live in chicago and im looking to relocated in the suburbs but i have 6 kids and i dont drive so i want to be close to schools , shopping , you know that city atmosphere can any one please help me with a location

Old 10-09-2011, 06:45 AM

30 posts, read 66,422 times
Default Moving to the Suburbs

Good Morning Latonya,

To be quite honest with you, you may want to stay in the city. Moving to the suburbs requires a car. Most people who live in the suburbs have more than one car. Transportation is a little sporadic. If you mind by me asking, why don't you drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by latonya crosby View Post
im currently live in chicago and im looking to relocated in the suburbs but i have 6 kids and i dont drive so i want to be close to schools , shopping , you know that city atmosphere can any one please help me with a location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs