Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 13,767 times

Advertisements

I am an African American young woman with two children who will be starting school for the first time in seotember. I am looking to relocate from chicago to a nice south suburb that can offer good schooling, safe neghborhoods, nice playgroungds for the kids, and I'm also looking to rent out a 2 bedroom aprtment that is close to grocery stores, malls, parks,restaurants, etc. I live in Chicago, and have never been to Matteson before, but have heard a little about it. So if you live in Matteson, can you let me know how it really is there?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 10,358 times
Cool matteson resident

My husband and I respectable people. We're not "ignorant" or ghetto and neither are any of our neighbors. Yes Matteson is predominately black now, however did you ever check to see how much new constructions are going for? Try 400-550 thousand, yes thousand dollars. I know, my husband and I bought one. I agree with the person who wrote that we need to get over this racism crap! It's getting old. By the way school district 162 is topped ranked in the state and getting better since we've moved here!! How's that?!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 PM

87 posts, read 415,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unique View Post
I am an African American young woman with two children who will be starting school for the first time in seotember. I am looking to relocate from chicago to a nice south suburb that can offer good schooling, safe neghborhoods, nice playgroungds for the kids, and I'm also looking to rent out a 2 bedroom aprtment that is close to grocery stores, malls, parks,restaurants, etc. I live in Chicago, and have never been to Matteson before, but have heard a little about it. So if you live in Matteson, can you let me know how it really is there?

Matteson would be a nice area for you. Yes, there is crime, but isn't crime everywhere? Even in uber rich Naperville! The area is majority Black, but there are Whites and hispanics in the area too, so despite what you may have read, it's not going downhill. As a matter of fact, each new subdivision seems to go up in price. However, there are still some nice 3 bedroom/2 bath homes you can find for under $160,000 if at some point you decide to buy. I'm not sure if there are a lot of apartments for rent, but looking on craigslist might help you. The school district is one of the best, the elementary schools consistently score high on the ISATS. I'm assuming your kids will be starting kindy? There is a really nice early childhood school, just for Pre-K through K schools. I like that the little ones have their own school.

Homewood is also nice, but I don't know your price range, it's somewhat expensive and not many apartments for rent, but there school district is tops, all the way through high school. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmom View Post
By the way school district 162 is topped ranked in the state
Would you mind sharing where you found that district ranked anywhere near the top in the state?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 PM

87 posts, read 415,340 times
I can't confirm drmom's statement, but I can tell you that Matteson's school district ranks among the top 10 in the south suburbs, somewhere like number 7 or 8. They recorded their highest test scores ever last year because of a curriculum change that addressed how boys learn different from girls. Their test scores are consistently above the state average (90-100% in math). And those scores was one of the reasons they were awarded an academic grant from the state. Although I'm not in district 162, I receive their newsletters because the district encompasses parts of Richton Park (where I am), also Olympia Fields and Park Forest.

Matteson is a good solid community and district, and currently Lincoln Mall is going through at $115 million redevelopment that will bring back shopping to the area (most folks have to go to Orland Park), I think they're going for the look of Oak Brook's mall.

Okay Kirstenleigh, I know this is waaaay more than you asked, LOL. Just thought I'd add a little extra info for anyone looking for input on Matteson. Just remember district 162 good, district 159, not so much!

Old 05-10-2007, 11:25 AM

677 posts, read 4,209,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema View Post
I can't confirm drmom's statement, but I can tell you that Matteson's school district ranks among the top 10 in the south suburbs, somewhere like number 7 or 8. They recorded their highest test scores ever last year because of a curriculum change that addressed how boys learn different from girls. Their test scores are consistently above the state average (90-100% in math). And those scores was one of the reasons they were awarded an academic grant from the state. Although I'm not in district 162, I receive their newsletters because the district encompasses parts of Richton Park (where I am), also Olympia Fields and Park Forest.
Thank you for clarifying. It's a pet peeve of mine when people claim school districts are the best in the state when they clearly aren't, because doing that devalues the hard work from the teachers, administrators, and students of the schools that are at the top.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 10,233 times
Cool I Know Better Lived There for 20 years

Quote:
Hello! I am an African American young woma with two small children who will be starting school in september. I am looking for a place to relocate that has very good schools, nice playgrounds, safe and nice neighborhood. An area that is close to grocery stores, malls restaurants, etc. I'm looking to rent out a 2 bedroom apartment. Can anyone tell me how Matteson is?

Do research regarding Matteson first, I have 2 good friends that are teachers in that community and they said that the children are just as terrible as the ones in the city. If you have small children you should visit the schools first and do research on test results and programs. The housing is nice, because they are attracting upscale buyers, but most of these people who buy expensive homes send their kids to private schools ( I know first hand of several ). Matteson has started building cheap affordable town houses in the area, but I know first hand that many people are purchasing them through the Section 8 Housing program. If I was on the Village Board I would require the developers to build better housing with parks, and better amenities. My friend that is a teacher said 50% of the parents are ghetto, so therefore, do not expect the kids to be any better. The services in the area are not what they use to be because it is a mostly Black community and the good stores have left the community that's why the mall is under renovation. Matteson has many cheap dollar stores, barber shops, beauty salons, liquor stores, and less healthy restaurants just like the Black neighbors in Chicago, it is not much different from the city when it comes to services. The Dominicks store in the community sells bad meat and expired food and vegetables, nothing in the store is fresh. It was not like that when it first opened. I will just say Matteson is not a bad place to live but don't expect it to be great....Many of the white families with children took a mass exodus in 1990-3 because Blacks were moving in. (Dateline on NBC did a special report on this community and it was not positive.) I am not saying that a community is good because it has Whites, on Ms. Kelly thinks that and she worked for the Village of Matteson in the past (She had an advertisement program going to bring Whites back into the community, but it did not work---what a waste of money). If you are looking for a good community don't think this one will be perfect, because it is not, but it is better than the city.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 9,547 times
Quote:
Hello! I am an African American young woma with two small children who will be starting school in september. I am looking for a place to relocate that has very good schools, nice playgrounds, safe and nice neighborhood. An area that is close to grocery stores, malls restaurants, etc. I'm looking to rent out a 2 bedroom apartment. Can anyone tell me how Matteson is?
i have been living at matteson for almost 3 yrs now and the school system is really good better than others i have seen or been at i live near dominicks and i have never experienced anything wrong with them other than they are so expensive they have good food always yeah the only thing for me is that i wish there was more of a mix at the schools it is the majority black each class with 3 hispanics and maybee 1 or 2 white i am hispanic and my daughter is mixed so she has very fare skin and we did have a problem that they were telling that her skin color was ugly kids will be kids and we did stop that but just like anywhere else there is and always will be scum in every race matteson is very clean and a wonderful place to live i have no complains and there are always apartments for rent especially in the area were i live

Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Wanna borrow some punctuation?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 PM

58 posts, read 228,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Wanna borrow some punctuation?
LOL... You said what I was thinking...

OPSMAN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs