Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,507,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimyworm2000 View Post
Sorry if you find my cap lock defensive i just got out of the hospital having spinal fusion so i cant drive out there and i am not sure i want to send my senior mother out there looking at demographics there is just some places white people are still not welcome in chicago and i was hopeing someone could let me know about matteson i have read some of your posting your just real grumpy
LMFAO!!! Too true!

Anways... White people are more than welcome into Matteson. Why would you make a statement like that? The area is very mixed actually and what I am rather surprised about is how its not really progressing any further to turing more African American. It seems like the white folks are actually holding their ground there now instead of fleeing like animals running out of the forest from the forest fire as they did 10 years ago. As for crime... The bad parts are located mostly on the east side of the town, not the west side where the mobile home parks are.

As for the mobile home park... I'm assuming you are talking about Timber Ridge on Rte 30 and Ridgeland. If thats the one you are talking about, its fine and even has a club house and pool and P.I.T.A. security at the front gate. The park is predominantly white middle class and the park has a TON of kids living in it, so if you have kids, your kids won't have any problems in making new friends.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Thank You, Why cant we all just get along!!
Thank you Mr. Rodney King

Old 07-28-2008, 09:07 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Mobile Home Park = Middle Class?

How the Hell is a mobile home park, regardless of how nice it is maintained, middle class?

Your definition of middle class and mine must differ.

I would say those living in modular homes are one step above those living in mobile homes and would classify them as lower middle class at best, though probably working poor to working class would describe them better.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Matteson is an interesting town. They have a good police force but they also have pockets of gang activity and cocaine trafficking. Of course they have Lincoln Mall which NOW has the appearance of a nice area given the new JC Penney and some of the businesses by lincoln mall (including the nice new landscaping) but looks can be deceiving and nobody mentions the ridiculous tax cuts Matteson had to give JC Penney to bring them back to Matteson after JC Penney's Lincoln Mall store went nearly bankrupt from theft (it was one of four anchor stores that connected directly to the mall).

The area of Matteson from Governor's Highway and east of there is pretty bad. The area of matteson that borders park forest (Dark Forest) is pretty bad. As far as Matteson off of Governor's Highway there are streets like 216th, 217th, etc. that do have gang activity just not as overt as one sees in harvey or chicago heights. and there is a chinese store (Liangs), i believe, that closed down but people still operate in there (sell cocaine). plus, there is the "Covert Motel" (its' real name, look it up) which is rampant with drug sales and prostitution...but it is covert and not as open as one sees in Chicago Heights, Ford Heights, Harvey, etc.

Also, off of Governor's Highway is Lionscrest (north richton park, south matteson) and is filled with crack and marijuana sales. and in here, it is overt like you see in the heights or harvey. lionscrest is basically an area with apartments and condos and section 8 housing.

i wouldn't live in matteson, not if you paid me! i have visited well over 1,000 times. it's OK but it certainly isn't filled with nice people who value education and morals. and if you think it is, take a drive from I-57 east, past cicero and past governors highway to say the Metra 211th train station, and see how the drivers and people seem to you. it's not odd to see a young person sitting way back in their drivers seat (as to where their head can see out the driver's side back window) blowing blunts like it's perfectly acceptable. i'm quite confident that quite a few drivers, in this stretch by linoln mall, do NOT have car insurance. i would be weary of driving that stretch with a nice new automobile. i assume this based on the drug use and kinds of cars the police are always pulling over.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:07 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahava View Post
Would you mind sharing where you found that district ranked anywhere near the top in the state?
She was wrong about a lot of facts like new homes going for 550 thousand dollars LOL...all of matteson's home construction is DEAD save for one part. do you know which part? the part that borders Frankfort, IL. which is about 8-10 miles from the bad parts i am speaking of. for a long time, there was a solid stretch of 5-7 miles that was strictly corn fields that kept the bad influences from seeping into neighboring communities but now that is changing since those cornfields have turned into townhomes and businesses. there is no longer a buffer zone so EXPECT places like Frankfort Square to go down the tubes in the next 5-10 years. and expect Lincoln Way North (in Frankfort Square off of Harlem Ave. and Volmer) to become the WORST lincoln way school of the 4. of course that would still make it one of the best schools in the southern suburbs but that's not saying much considering the "competition" to the east such as TF South and Bloom.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 10-23-2008 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 02:36 PM

33 posts, read 142,627 times
Wink Matteson

I grew up in Matteson and my mom/friends still live out there. The neighborhood has changed over the years but it has a lot more families with children moving in. The mobile home parks out there are nice but I don't think there are a lot of young people or children that live in them. Since your daughter has a young two year old maybe you consider buying a house over there or there are some townhomes accross the street from the public schools right by a park. Since there are so many forclosures going on you can find a home reasonably, I just saw one of town homes listed under 59,000.
Also the public school, Woodgate has a great birth to 3 program that my son and I participate in. Your daughters son would have a great time there. Great early education program.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:43 PM

33 posts, read 142,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unique View Post
Hello! I am an African American young woma with two small children who will be starting school in september. I am looking for a place to relocate that has very good schools, nice playgrounds, safe and nice neighborhood. An area that is close to grocery stores, malls restaurants, etc. I'm looking to rent out a 2 bedroom apartment. Can anyone tell me how Matteson is?
Apartments are okay in Matteson, the majority of them are right off of Lincoln Hwy, so you are definitely close to the grocery stores and shopping. You can get a 2 bedroom for around $750-850. Homewood is also nice but when I was looking for a apartment out there they were quite small and over priced - one landlord told me that I would be paying for the neighborhood not the space.
Matteson has a great schood district also!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:50 AM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Matteson is an interesting town. They have a good police force but they also have pockets of gang activity and cocaine trafficking. Of course they have Lincoln Mall which NOW has the appearance of a nice area given the new JC Penney and some of the businesses by lincoln mall (including the nice new landscaping) but looks can be deceiving and nobody mentions the ridiculous tax cuts Matteson had to give JC Penney to bring them back to Matteson after JC Penney's Lincoln Mall store went nearly bankrupt from theft (it was one of four anchor stores that connected directly to the mall).

The area of Matteson from Governor's Highway and east of there is pretty bad. The area of matteson that borders park forest (Dark Forest) is pretty bad. As far as Matteson off of Governor's Highway there are streets like 216th, 217th, etc. that do have gang activity just not as overt as one sees in harvey or chicago heights. and there is a chinese store (Liangs), i believe, that closed down but people still operate in there (sell cocaine). plus, there is the "Covert Motel" (its' real name, look it up) which is rampant with drug sales and prostitution...but it is covert and not as open as one sees in Chicago Heights, Ford Heights, Harvey, etc.

Also, off of Governor's Highway is Lionscrest (north richton park, south matteson) and is filled with crack and marijuana sales. and in here, it is overt like you see in the heights or harvey. lionscrest is basically an area with apartments and condos and section 8 housing.

i wouldn't live in matteson, not if you paid me! i have visited well over 1,000 times. it's OK but it certainly isn't filled with nice people who value education and morals. and if you think it is, take a drive from I-57 east, past cicero and past governors highway to say the Metra 211th train station, and see how the drivers and people seem to you. it's not odd to see a young person sitting way back in their drivers seat (as to where their head can see out the driver's side back window) blowing blunts like it's perfectly acceptable. i'm quite confident that quite a few drivers, in this stretch by linoln mall, do NOT have car insurance. i would be weary of driving that stretch with a nice new automobile. i assume this based on the drug use and kinds of cars the police are always pulling over.

Dark Forest, are you kidding?

The Nature you are "at 1 with" must be trees, because you seem to have little empathy for the people component of nature.

*gasp* Are you aware that all of this is occurring just inches from your beloved Frankfort?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Dark Forest, are you kidding?

The Nature you are "at 1 with" must be trees, because you seem to have little empathy for the people component of nature.

*gasp* Are you aware that all of this is occurring just inches from your beloved Frankfort?
Lets not leave out that if Mr. At Nature likes to make little puns such as "Dark Forest" whats next come Nov 4th? Instead of the White House, we will have the "Dark House"? lol

Old 10-30-2008, 02:06 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
Lets not leave out that if Mr. At Nature likes to make little puns such as "Dark Forest" whats next come Nov 4th? Instead of the White House, we will have the "Dark House"? lol

There is just no place where comments like that are acceptable.
I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt in the Manhattan and Frankfort, New Lenox and Mokena post, telling him I would gladly give up higher test scores for the opportunity for my children to grow and thrive in a diverse community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs