Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2023, 02:48 PM

46 posts, read 54,398 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving back to the northwest suburbs and have decided that Village of Barrington is where we want to be. We've zeroed in on an area just south of the metra station, east of Hough Street. We've looked at a few houses in that area and are liking what we see.

My main question is about elementary schools in the area. We have a toddler and a newborn, so schools are a priority. The neighborhood we're looking at is basically split right down the middle - half goes to Hough Street Elementary, half goes to Grove Avenue Elementary.
According to Great Schools:
Hough Street Elementary : 4/10
Grove Avenue Elementary : 7/10

I spoke to several people in the area who have kids enrolled at GAE and they had lots of positive things to say. I haven't spoken to parents (yet) about HSE, but I'm wondering why the difference is so big, at least with Great Schools ratings. How can I find out more about if Hough Street Elementary lacks way behind Grove Avenue Elementary? Is one more well-regarded in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2023, 04:54 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,544,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godhand123 View Post
My wife and I are moving back to the northwest suburbs and have decided that Village of Barrington is where we want to be. We've zeroed in on an area just south of the metra station, east of Hough Street. We've looked at a few houses in that area and are liking what we see.

My main question is about elementary schools in the area. We have a toddler and a newborn, so schools are a priority. The neighborhood we're looking at is basically split right down the middle - half goes to Hough Street Elementary, half goes to Grove Avenue Elementary.

I spoke to several people in the area who have kids enrolled at GAE and they had lots of positive things to say. I haven't spoken to parents (yet) about HSE, but I'm wondering why the difference is so big, at least with Great Schools ratings. How can I find out more about if Hough Street Elementary lacks way behind Grove Avenue Elementary? Is one more well-regarded in the area?
Check out the Illinois School Report Card and figure out what the data means to you. This is the data that GreatSchools uses to create their scores/ratings. I doubt most parents know or even care about the GreatSchools ratings. Barrington is an area with reputable public schools. I am not familiar with either school. However, I doubt that there is a significant difference between them—same curriculum, same textbooks as any school in the state, same spending, etc.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Check out the Illinois School Report Card and figure out what the data means to you. This is the data that GreatSchools uses to create their scores/ratings. I doubt most parents know or even care about the GreatSchools ratings. Barrington is an area with reputable public schools. I am not familiar with either school. However, I doubt that there is a significant difference between them—same curriculum, same textbooks as any school in the state, same spending, etc.
Thanks I'll check that out. I think people get a lot of visibility of the GreatSchools ratings because zillow/redfin use them for rating schools.

Old 03-14-2023, 05:46 PM

120 posts, read 169,803 times
Quote:

I’m not sure where you got those numbers. I just checked Hough Street Elementary and it’s rated 9/10, with 10/10 for test scores and academics: https://www.greatschools.org/illinoi...entary-School/

Grove Avenue is rated 7/10, but its academics are 10/10. It’s brought down by the horrible “equity” score.

GreatSchools is by no means a reputable website (my last thread was about this)! High schools like Stevenson and Hinsdale Central, which are some of the most reputable in dare I say the country, are also rated a 7/10 because of absolutely ATROCIOUS weighting of equity in scores by GreatSchools. IL HS Report Card is your friend, and I’ll also add my two cents. Barrington schools are excellent no matter how you slice it (maybe not the Carpentersville D220 schools), but Barrington is a great place to raise a family, and GreatSchools shouldn’t dissuade you.

Old 03-14-2023, 08:58 PM

41 posts, read 54,952 times
I live in the Barrington area. Go to the barrington220 website, and click on 'Our District' at the top. On the page that shows up, under 'Resources' there is a link called 'School Profiles.' This is a PDF that has information on all the schools in 220, and even provides eventual SAT scores from kids who have graduated from the various elementary schools. I don't think the differences here are going to make or break your kids future.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym18123 View Post
I’m not sure where you got those numbers. I just checked Hough Street Elementary and it’s rated 9/10, with 10/10 for test scores and academics: https://www.greatschools.org/illinoi...entary-School/

Grove Avenue is rated 7/10, but its academics are 10/10. It’s brought down by the horrible “equity” score.

GreatSchools is by no means a reputable website (my last thread was about this)! High schools like Stevenson and Hinsdale Central, which are some of the most reputable in dare I say the country, are also rated a 7/10 because of absolutely ATROCIOUS weighting of equity in scores by GreatSchools. IL HS Report Card is your friend, and I’ll also add my two cents. Barrington schools are excellent no matter how you slice it (maybe not the Carpentersville D220 schools), but Barrington is a great place to raise a family, and GreatSchools shouldn’t dissuade you.
Thanks for the info - this is really helpful.
Strangely, Zillow and Redfin show different Greatschools ratings than Greatschools shows on their website! Zillow shows Hough Street Elementary as a 4/10, but when I click on their provided link it takes me to GreatSchools website and shows a 9/10. It must have been a very recent change from 4/10 to 9/10 since I have been to the Greatschools website recently when it showed as a 4/10. There are even parent reviews saying "I don't know why this school is rated so low here. It's wonderful", referring to the 4/10 scoring.

Here's an example:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1.../3242375_zpid/

I spot checked other schools in the area and they're similarly rated different on zillow/redfin than Greatschools directly.

It sounds like you're right - checking the report card is the way to go. Ironically it ends up that Hough Street Elementary is the better school.

Old 03-15-2023, 10:54 AM

Barrington schools are a pretty safe bet, regardless of what GreatSchools says. And actually, if your kids are of elementary school age, Barbara Rose Elementary could be a good option. My family knows someone who was in the GATE program at Barbara Rose (not sure if it still exists), and he went on to Station Middle School (which is also VERY good, regardless of what GreatSchools says) and Barrington HS. Because of the strong WYSE program there, he was able to get into Princeton and now works as a quant trader at a very prestigious quantitative trading firm in NYC.

The Village of Barrington is nice, but if it’s in your budget, you can also expand to Lake Barrington or South Barrington. If you’re looking in Barrington, I assume that’s because you’re looking in the nice downtown area (which has a few NRHP homes), but if you want a rural sprawl type feel, I’d recommend any of the Barringtons, Tower Lakes, Inverness, Deer Park, and even parts of the Long Grove/Hawthorn Woods/Kildeer area. Keep in mind that the schools are different, but you generally can’t go wrong with the Fremd HS district or the Stevenson HS district either.

Old 03-15-2023, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym18123 View Post
Barrington schools are a pretty safe bet, regardless of what GreatSchools says. And actually, if your kids are of elementary school age, Barbara Rose Elementary could be a good option. My family knows someone who was in the GATE program at Barbara Rose (not sure if it still exists), and he went on to Station Middle School (which is also VERY good, regardless of what GreatSchools says) and Barrington HS. Because of the strong WYSE program there, he was able to get into Princeton and now works as a quant trader at a very prestigious quantitative trading firm in NYC.

The Village of Barrington is nice, but if it’s in your budget, you can also expand to Lake Barrington or South Barrington. If you’re looking in Barrington, I assume that’s because you’re looking in the nice downtown area (which has a few NRHP homes), but if you want a rural sprawl type feel, I’d recommend any of the Barringtons, Tower Lakes, Inverness, Deer Park, and even parts of the Long Grove/Hawthorn Woods/Kildeer area. Keep in mind that the schools are different, but you generally can’t go wrong with the Fremd HS district or the Stevenson HS district either.
Thanks for the response - that's all good to know. We're looking in the village area because we like being walkable to downtown, metra and elementary school. We also like that the properties are small and tight so there's likely a close community with lots of families and kids.

Old 03-17-2023, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the response - that's all good to know. We're looking in the village area because we like being walkable to downtown, metra and elementary school. We also like that the properties are small and tight so there's likely a close community with lots of families and kids.
Makes sense. I know the St. Charles/Geneva also have charming downtowns with close-knit families, but Barrington is also an awesome place to raise a family. I wish you the best of luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs