Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2023, 12:07 PM

82 posts, read 91,392 times

Advertisements

Wonderful helpful people, I need your insight. We are looking to move (again) and are focusing on lake county and specifically Bannockburn. And I have a bunch of questions for those in the know. I know lake county taxes are higher in general but the sellers real estate agent told us the taxes are lower in Bannockburn than they are in neighboring Deerfield. But I cannot find information to back up her claim. Can someone help me understand why? Both towns feed into the same highschool. Does Bannockburn have a library and a park district? Or do Bannockburn residents use Deerfield facilities? If so do Bannockburn residents have to pay out of district fees? Does Bannockburn have flooding issues? What are the general pros/cons to living in Bannockburn? We really like the idea of a smaller elementary school but can someone give insight on what the schools is like good or bad? And I would appreciate any thoughts about Bannockburn in general. Over the last 50 years lived in Barrington, Buffalo Grove,Evanston, Wilmette, Wheaton, and Naperville and feel lost as we know zero about Bannockburn. Any insight is greatly y appreciated. Thank you!

Ps - I have heard mention of Highland Park and Deerfield high schools merging. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 02:22 PM

120 posts, read 170,213 times
Bannockburn, along with Riverwoods, are peripheral suburbs to Deerfield. That means that in general, they share the same services (ZIP code, library district, and schools). Maybe municipal taxes are lower in Bannockburn than in Deerfield (don’t quote me on thus), but since it’s in Lake County, the rest of your taxes would still be high. However, I don’t think you need to pay out-of-district fees for most of Deerfield’s services, even if you’re in Bannockburn or Riverwoods.

A major pro with Bannockburn over Deerfield is that there’s one K-8 school, the Bannockburn school. And generally, Bannockburn is considered a stronger feeder school than Caruso in Deerfield. However, Bannockburn also seems to have a larger contingent of low-income students (which surprised me; the Deerfield-Bannockburn-Riverwoods area is pretty rich). If you’re in the Deerfield HS feeder area, I’d recommend Shepard Middle School, though we are splitting hairs here.

Also, Bannockburn has a bit of diversity - the schools have a decent number of Asian and Black students. Meanwhile Deerfield is overwhelmingly white and plurality Jewish (though this is changing). It used to be that Bannockburn and Deerfield were white flight destinations from Skokie and Buffalo Grove, but now even Deerfield and Bannockburn are diversifying. And if you head east to Highland Park and Highwood, you’ll even find more Hispanic residents.

One tangible disadvantage to Bannockburn, along with the parts of Riverwoods and Lincolnshire nearby, is that you’re in the Des Plaines River floodplain. Because of this, home prices are a bit lower than they’d be in the regions away from the floodplain.

Deerfield HS and Highland Park HS are in the same school district, but I haven’t heard anything about the schools merging. I know that Deerfield is considered the stronger high school between the two, and that when NCLB was a thing Highland Park students had the option to attend Deerfield because HPHS didn’t meet APY…although neither did New Trier (or even Deerfield one year for that matter). Some people seem to think HPHS is in decline, but Deerfield HS seems to be fine. It still serves an uber-wealthy contingent of students, and keep in mind that Deerfield and Bannockburn are towns where the wealthiest parents send their students to elite prep schools like Lake Forest Academy and North Shore Country Day (or even REALLY elite prep schools like Phillips Andover).

If you’re looking in Bannockburn, I’d also check out Riverwoods and Lincolnshire. Deerfield HS is great for some, and parts of Riverwoods and 99% of Lincolnshire are fed by District 103 and Stevenson HS. District 103 is arguably the best K-8 school district in the state, and paradoxically, home prices are cheaper in that area. Since you’ve lived in Buffalo Grove, I imagine that you’re more familiar with Stevenson, which draws from a huge geographical area (as opposed to Deerfield), but it’s worth checking out.

If you’re moving for public schools, you really can’t go wrong in Bannockburn, though. Ironically, Lake Forest, which is even richer, has worse public schools, but that’s also because of the siphoning effect. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 03-20-2023, 11:39 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,550,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccpfinn View Post
Wonderful helpful people, I need your insight. We are looking to move (again) and are focusing on lake county and specifically Bannockburn. And I have a bunch of questions for those in the know. I know lake county taxes are higher in general but the sellers real estate agent told us the taxes are lower in Bannockburn than they are in neighboring Deerfield. But I cannot find information to back up her claim. Can someone help me understand why? Both towns feed into the same highschool. Does Bannockburn have a library and a park district? Or do Bannockburn residents use Deerfield facilities? If so do Bannockburn residents have to pay out of district fees? Does Bannockburn have flooding issues? What are the general pros/cons to living in Bannockburn? We really like the idea of a smaller elementary school but can someone give insight on what the schools is like good or bad? And I would appreciate any thoughts about Bannockburn in general. Over the last 50 years lived in Barrington, Buffalo Grove,Evanston, Wilmette, Wheaton, and Naperville and feel lost as we know zero about Bannockburn. Any insight is greatly y appreciated. Thank you!

Ps - I have heard mention of Highland Park and Deerfield high schools merging. Is this true?
The property taxes in Bannockburn and Deerfield are going to be roughly the same. Properties in both communities will be subject to the same taxing body responsible for the largest party of the levy: Township High School District 113. Bannockburn might be slightly lower because of higher all-around property values. However, the last numbers that I saw back in 2015 indicated that they were equally as high as Deerfield. Deerfield and Highland Park have the highest effective taxes on the North Shore besides Skokie.

Real estate agents and government officials often mention mill rates when talking about taxes, but the reality is that you're more concerned about the effective rate which cannot be gleaned from looking at tax bills. A quick glance through real estate listings will show that the rates are much higher for equivalently priced properties in Bannockburn over Lake Forest, Winnetka, or Wilmette, for example.

I don't have enough information regarding the other questions. I suspect that the answers could vary substantially depending on the exact location of a particular property within the Village. As you know, communities in Illinois are often haphazardly and irrationally divided between school, park, and library districts. Many places are actually unincorporated or have no park district or they might have three, etc.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs