Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:47 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,484 times

Advertisements

Glen Ellyn is a very nice town. The schools are very reputable but definitely could not compete with most of the North Shore districts. Glen Ellyn is extremely beautiful around the Lake Ellyn area and Glenbard West High School. I live on the North Shore in Glencoe and before I decided on the North Shore I looked at Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Hinsdale, etc. It doesn't have the same feel as the North Shore. Also, the per capita income levels in most North Shore communities are far higher than Glen Ellyn, not that Glen Ellyn is poor by any means. The locations you mentioned Northwest Evanston and West Wilmette are very nice. If I had to choose between those I would go for Northwest Evanston because it is prettier and Willard Elementary School is better than what you would have there, which would be Romona Elementary. If you could I would expand your search to include Glenview, Winnetka, Glencoe, and Northfield. Glenview has some nice new homes in the $850,000 range, which is very inexpensive for the North Shore area. Winnetka is fairly expensive, and in my opinion overpriced and overated. I live in Glencoe so I am a little biased. I love the town it has a great feel with a population of less than 9,000. There is a lot of open space and lots are wider here than they are in most locations. I also like the way Glencoe schools work. All kids from Glencoe go to the same school by grade level. You have South School K-2, West School 3-4, and Central School 5-8. New Trier is pretty much unbeatable also. New Trier is East Glenview, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Northfield, Winnetka, Glencoe, and part of Southeast Northbrook. If you could get something in East Glenview or in McKenzie, Harper, or Central School dist. in Wilmette, you should be okay. Good Luck with selling your home, I have heard the city market is slow right now, just try adjusting the price, keep cutting until a sale.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
OK all, please remember to DM me with any believes that people are using multiple accounts and use the report button to report any offensive/rule-breaking posts.

Thanks!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:03 PM

20 posts, read 75,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
I am curious as to how you came to the conclusion that Glen Ellyn is comparable to the North Shore, on any level, but more importantly, while I am not trying to persuade you to other ares at this point, I am also curious as to what ruled out Wheaton? Did you look in North or South Wheaton? North is almost identical to Glen Ellyn and both of their downtowns are so similar. Wheaton does not have "lake ellyn", but other than that, still don't get the North Shore compairison or ruling our Wheaton. South Wheaton, by any stretch, is another "town of it's own" in a lot of way, with much more commercial and congestion that downtown and North Wheaton do not have. Also, North Wheaton is located right on the edge of Winfield, and a beautiful golf course named Klein Creek, with wheaton dist.200 schools, etc. One particular subdivision is located right on the golf course, and with unincorporated status, taxes are a bargain in compairison to any township a home is annexed in.

Both Glen Elllyn and Wheaton are small town, western suburbs while the north shore is just that- cities located near or on the shores of Lake Michigan. And I also do not believe, for a second, the taxes are the same. Taxes are much higher on the North shore and you also get FAR LESS for your money in a home unless you are in the upper brackets of well over a million, but more likely over 2 million. Please just let me know. I am very curious what price range you are looking in and your findings in that.
Thanks
interesting reply. clearly you live in wheaton and are looking to sell your property.

glen ellyn definitely has a north shore vibe and i'm surprised that you wouldn't find it comparable. in contrast, wheaton just doesn't measure up, in my opinion.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
Glen Ellyn is a very nice town. The schools are very reputable but definitely could not compete with most of the North Shore districts. Glen Ellyn is extremely beautiful around the Lake Ellyn area and Glenbard West High School. I live on the North Shore in Glencoe and before I decided on the North Shore I looked at Glen Ellyn, Wheaton, Hinsdale, etc. It doesn't have the same feel as the North Shore. Also, the per capita income levels in most North Shore communities are far higher than Glen Ellyn, not that Glen Ellyn is poor by any means. The locations you mentioned Northwest Evanston and West Wilmette are very nice. If I had to choose between those I would go for Northwest Evanston because it is prettier and Willard Elementary School is better than what you would have there, which would be Romona Elementary. If you could I would expand your search to include Glenview, Winnetka, Glencoe, and Northfield. Glenview has some nice new homes in the $850,000 range, which is very inexpensive for the North Shore area. Winnetka is fairly expensive, and in my opinion overpriced and overated. I live in Glencoe so I am a little biased. I love the town it has a great feel with a population of less than 9,000. There is a lot of open space and lots are wider here than they are in most locations. I also like the way Glencoe schools work. All kids from Glencoe go to the same school by grade level. You have South School K-2, West School 3-4, and Central School 5-8. New Trier is pretty much unbeatable also. New Trier is East Glenview, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Northfield, Winnetka, Glencoe, and part of Southeast Northbrook. If you could get something in East Glenview or in McKenzie, Harper, or Central School dist. in Wilmette, you should be okay. Good Luck with selling your home, I have heard the city market is slow right now, just try adjusting the price, keep cutting until a sale.
thanks for the informative reply!

although, i should tell you that romona school is excellent. i taught there for two years.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:06 PM

945 posts, read 1,987,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket00 View Post
interesting reply. clearly you live in wheaton and are looking to sell your property.

glen ellyn definitely has a north shore vibe and i'm surprised that you wouldn't find it comparable. in contrast, wheaton just doesn't measure up, in my opinion.

I am reading my post from several days ago, trying to see where I wrote what I did becuase I am "looking to sell our property". I actaully plugged our biggest competitor(in the real estate market), Klein Creek, which is in Winfield, with Wheaton Schools. I do not, for a second, believe that regardless of how you have come to rate Wheaton, that Glen Ellyn is ANY compairison to the North Shore, based on the things I listed previously.

Taxes- HUGE difference, location, HUGE difference, and overall house prices, HUGE difference in what you "get for you money" in any price range. So you basically did not answer my questions. Forget the Wheaton info. Sorry you are so against it, I just truly wanted to know how you came to the conclusion that GE falls into the same catagory as the communities you mentioned on the north shore- they do not. And as a long time Wheaton resident, in this area, Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are forever being considered very similar towns, with GE having a little higher priced, higher taxed home average but generally, the two communities really do intertwine. We go there, and they come here, for many, many reasons, period!

Old 06-08-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
I am reading my post from several days ago, trying to see where I wrote what I did becuase I am "looking to sell our property". I actaully plugged our biggest competitor(in the real estate market), Klein Creek, which is in Winfield, with Wheaton Schools. I do not, for a second, believe that regardless of how you have come to rate Wheaton, that Glen Ellyn is ANY compairison to the North Shore, based on the things I listed previously.

Taxes- HUGE difference, location, HUGE difference, and overall house prices, HUGE difference in what you "get for you money" in any price range. So you basically did not answer my questions. Forget the Wheaton info. Sorry you are so against it, I just truly wanted to know how you came to the conclusion that GE falls into the same catagory as the communities you mentioned on the north shore- they do not. And as a long time Wheaton resident, in this area, Glen Ellyn and Wheaton are forever being considered very similar towns, with GE having a little higher priced, higher taxed home average but generally, the two communities really do intertwine. We go there, and they come here, for many, many reasons, period!
Moderator cut: edit

i came to the conclusion that glen ellyn falls in the same category as the north shore because it was my own personal opinion. of course you don't get it....the opinion doesn't belong to you.

Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by jessiegirl_98; 06-08-2008 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-08-2008, 11:44 AM

30 posts, read 145,079 times
FMV has an almost supernatural ability to insult all of the surrounding townships around Wheaton, while claiming no offense was intended and to " just read their post from the beginning" as proof. This painful cycle has been repeated before, and will likely continue again.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:55 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,245,112 times
Let's keep this thread on topic. The OP has asked for opinions on Glen Ellyn vs. North Shore and has specifically stated that she does not want opinions on other burbs. That is the OP's choice. Let's help her out by providing suggestions on the two areas she asked about.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 PM

thank you everyone!

Old 06-08-2008, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,153 times
There are 2 Glen Ellyn's-- one within o.75 mile of the downtown village and one including everything else. Home values and home perceptions vary greatly among the two groups. Glen Ellyn has someting like 25 separate parks for the 30,000 residents-- It's about suburbia-- family times, little league, soccer, pta, small town feel-- I certainly dont get that in Wilmette or Winnetka. Plus the last time I chedcked same size home cost 25% more along Northshore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs