Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 04:21 PM

22 posts, read 74,472 times

Advertisements

Will be moving to Chicago from the west coast in the near term. Have several kids who are Chinese.

Money is not an object, and I will will deal with any commute. What I care most about is top public schools and places where the kids won't be the only asian kids in class. My kids are great students and were born in California.

Was thinking about Hinsdale, Naperville or something on what is called the North Shore - Winnetka, perhaps or Lake Forest. Maybe these are all good, I just don't know.

I know this will be personal preference, and that there are far more Asians on the west coast versus mid-west. But I was looking for some thoughts and ideas from local people, or people that used to live in the area.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 04:36 PM

945 posts, read 1,981,417 times
In the few suburbs you mentioned, Naperville DOES NOT compare with the others. ANd I don't mean this in a positive way. IF money is no object, the real estate market is you oyster and the North Shore is beautiful. As for asian diversity, I have no clue. I live in Wheaton and many, many families have adopted children from China. There used to be an adoption agency in Wheaton called Sunny Ridge, who specifically dealt in asian adoptions.

Hope this helps

Old 06-01-2008, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 11,689 times
Default North Shore Chicago from a west coast immigrant perspective

If money's no object-the wealthy North Shore (northeast Evanston, Wilmette, Winnetka, Kenilworth, Glencoe up to Highland Park) is a good bet for you. Glenview is pretty diverse as well, which is where I work.

I wouldn't worry at all about your kids being the only Asians in class if you move to those suburbs. It's definitely white-predominant on the North Shore but diverse enough to make things interesting. There is a bit of "keeping up with the Joneses'" since it is a pretty wealthy area. But with that come highly reputed public high schools (i.e. New Trier). Be prepared to spend $1.1M and above for a single family 4br house with a medium size yard in the areas I mentioned above. There are deals out there as well---and I am looking for them!

Prices climb as you get closer to the lake. You're probably accustomed to prices like these, coming from California. I can tell you from my recent real estate searches in So.Cal AND the North Shore of Chicago, that the homes in Chicago are WAY, WAY more interesting and well-built than the cookie cutter developments in places like Rancho Mirage/Palm Desert area. Of course, if you are currently living on the beach or in a truly magnificent house, then I'm wrong there.

I think that the further north you go from Evanston, the 'Asianness' decreases---that's my experience. Good luck with your move, and get ready to buy some warm coats.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:42 PM

346 posts, read 706,780 times
If you wish to live in a suburb with a high population of Asians, then you should consider Lincolnwood, Skokie, Glenview, or Morton Grove. My old high school, Niles West, had a 32% Asian population, so there's a ton of diversity - but it is served by only Lincolnwood, Skokie, Niles, and south Morton Grove. The most luxurious suburb of the group would probably be Glenview, and their schools are about 20% Asian or more on average, so there is a good amount of diversity.

Helpful Link:
Interactive Illinois Report Card
Type in "Glenview" under city and you can see the schools there, as well as the demographic information. You can also check the other suburbs as well.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:27 AM

101 posts, read 433,878 times
There are a large amount of Asians in all of the Northwest suburbs.
Emmie

Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
Id look into Oak Brook or maybe Bloomingdale, they have decent sizeable Asian communities there. Oak Brook is the better choice of the two, IMO, as it seems you would have no problem affording it.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,054,414 times
The Asian population of Chicagoland grew by 67% during the 90's, so it's definitely an expanding group.

The area had 360,000 Asians in the 2000 census, so that number has certainly passed 500,000 by now. I wouldn't really say there's a lot of racism towards Asians in Chicago. Certainly not like between blacks and whites. I work with 10 Asians in our department of 60 people, and I've never seen anyone bat an eye or react in any different way towards anyone.

That said, I agree, I'd go with up on the northshore. Although Naperville is around 15% Asian, which is on the high end for Chicago suburbs.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:07 PM

409 posts, read 1,511,941 times
There are many asians in both Wilmette and Glenview. They have the highest percentages in the Chicago area. Schools are great. You have Avoca K-8 school district for part of Glenview and part of Wilmette. You also have Wilmette School District K-8 for Wilmette. Then from Avoca and Wilmette you would go to New Trier High School. A world class high school that your kids would love, being almost 20% asian. In most of Glenview you have Glenview Schools and then Glenbrook South High School. Both districts are very good with high asian populations. PM for more details.

Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:09 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,928,817 times
The census lumps folks from India, Pakistan, and all the other areas in the broader Asia region, so the stats are not really reflective of just Chinese. That said, there are many Chinese in just about every suburban area of DuPage Co, Lake Co, West, North, and NW Cook Co.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 PM
NJP

1 posts, read 9,026 times
Hello!

Our family is relocating to Chicago area in the next month or so. We have elementary school age children and will be working in downtown area.

We have to find a house before the school starts (mid Aug?), any suggestions? We are hoping to keep the commute within an hour, door to door and our price range would be 750k to 900k. I heard the north shore is good? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

p.s. we are a chinese family as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs