Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 12:37 AM

16 posts, read 62,584 times

Advertisements

Ok...long time reader, first time poster

I currently live in North Aurora and work in Aurora right off of Orchard Road. I don't like living in North Aurora and would love to live in Oak Park, as my family lives close to there and all of my friends live in Chicago. So I'm considering moving to Oak Park and driving out to Aurora for work. I've researched the commute, which is approximately 35 miles each way. I know that this would be a drastic change from my current 4 mile commute, significant increase in gas costs, I-Pass costs, and of course a longer (and frustrating) time in the car. However, I'm willing to at least consider it. I believe my quality of life would greatly improve if I was living in the Oak Park/Forest Park area. I'm not bashing North Aurora, but as a single person, I just find it to be boring and way too far out to visit family and friends on the weekends. Getting another job closer to the city would be nice, but I don't think it's possible right now.

I have two or three work colleagues who make this commute. Some say it's not so bad, while one says it is unbearable. I think it may depend on how close you live in Oak Park to 290.

I'm wondering if anyone out there makes a similar commute and if they could share their experiences. If I need to be at work by 7:50AM, when would I need to leave in the morning? How long would the drive be going back if I left work at 5:00PM? I often work late so I could see myself leaving as late as 6:00 to head back (or even later as I could hit the gym that I use in North Aurora to stall even further).

I've read posts of people who do really interesting things to make similar commutes better, such as taking the metra to Geneva, keeping their car at the train station, and then driving to their work site--this seems like too much effort and not worth it to me. But, maybe that's the better way to go.

I know some people will encourage me to live in towns such as St. Charles or Naperville instead, but I have no interest in living in these Fox Valley communities (again, not bashing them but I just don't think they are a good fit for me). I'm interested specifically in living in the Oak Park or Forest Park area.

I know that the 290 leg of the commute is probably the worst. But I was thinking that maybe it would be better to take a road like North Ave (64) from Oak Park west to 355, then head south on 355 to 88, and then further west to Aurora. Maybe that wouldn't make much of a difference or perhaps be even worse. Maybe there is a specific area in Oak Park someone could recommend to live in that makes this commute slightly easier.

Thank you all for reading this post and sharing your thoughts. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to get a reply from Steve-O, who often has thoughts on topics that I frequently research (living in Chicago suburbs, and living in beautiful AZ--my former home).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
sounds to me like you have made up your mind. just do it! you know the commute will suck, especially in the winter, but hey, you sound young so you can probably handle it! good luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:16 AM

249 posts, read 685,507 times
living in the southern part of Oak Park would definitely be a plus. If 290 is busy and you wish to avoid it, Roosevelt or even better Cermak would be the alternatives until you can get on 88. North Avenue would be out of the way and congested for most of the distance you are trying to avoid 290.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
If I were in your shoes I would simply do some "test commutes". You have family & friend in Oak Park. Stay with 'em at least two nights.

Ask them if you can bring a suitcase next Tuesday night. Leave work at 5PM and tell the friends not to hold dinner for you. When you have your sandwich at 6:30 or whatever you'll know what sort of mood you'll be in. When you leave for work the next morning at 5:45 AM (Wednesday tends to have the highest traffic volumes) to get to the office in time get some coffee before 7:50 note how long you've been up compared to your regular 10 minute commute. When you leave work and roll into Oak Park for dinner you will be more tired than the previous evening. Thursday morning if you decide that you can leave at 6AM and still be OK maybe that is consolation enough that you are making the right decision. If you fall asleep at your desk before heading back to your 10 minute commute maybe not...

Good Luck!

(p.s. realize too that the long hours of sunlight and lack of icy crap on the roads will sap a lot more energy from you in grey and interminable March darkness...)

Old 06-04-2008, 09:22 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I think youre clinically insane! lol To me, its just not worth sitting most of your life in a car.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:33 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Thumbs up Hey now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I think youre clinically insane! lol To me, its just not worth sitting most of your life in a car.
If you have a camera with you that time sure seems to pass more quickly, doesn't

Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you have a camera with you that time sure seems to pass more quickly, doesn't
Driving from Warrenville to Hinsdale on rare occasion is hardly the same thing as commuting from Oak Park to North Aurora on a daily basis. But yes, even daily commutes are made more interesting with a camera in hand.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:56 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
I've driven from Oak Park to Geneva for work on occasion, which is an even longer commute than you will have. It'll be a bit less than an hour outbound, and a bit more than an hour returning typically. Living as close to the Eisenhower as possible will minimize your time being stuck on local Oak Park streets (Harlem gets very congested). Coming back, the Eisenhower is always miserable and Roosevelt Rd maybe faster or at least no worse. Obviously bad weather and the occasional accident will make things even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs