Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 09:08 AM

37 posts, read 195,780 times

Advertisements

Evanston is 30 min from OHare and close to the city.

You won't be able to buy as much house in Evanston, Wheaton, Naperville, Park Ridge, basically any of the Chicago suburbs as you have in Orlando. I lived in Winter park for 10 yrs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 10:47 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
Like others have indicated...depends on the kind of house you want and how affluent of an area you want ; its kind of all over the board in ChicagoLand . By the way, id be interested to hear how you liked central Florida as im considering Gainesville, Fl area ; was it easy making new friends when you moved there ? Were the summers long and over-powering with extreme heat/humidity ? Would you recommend central Florida for early retiring ? Thanks.
While we're waiting for the OP to reappear with the info we need, thought I'd try and answer this questions for you IbeDavid. I would not ever consider retiring to Gainesville. The University of Florida has 50,000 students- that's a lot of kids for a relatively small town (just over 100k)

And the summers? AWFUL! Hot, humid, overpowering etc. and there's no beach for hours. To me the only reason I'd ever consider living in Florida is for the beach!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM

24 posts, read 84,621 times
Look at Park Ridge- great schools, close to O'Hare and quick train ride to downtown

Old 06-17-2008, 01:24 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,878 times
Cwaz,

I'd seriously think about trying to stay where you are and stay there....Your life in Orlando will be sooo much better than here at least 9 months out of the year...

Old 06-17-2008, 02:09 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
Cwaz,

I'd seriously think about trying to stay where you are and stay there....Your life in Orlando will be sooo much better than here at least 9 months out of the year...
How?? With oppressive heat/humidity? Tons of bugs? Hurricanes? Ridiculous insurance costs? Bad schools?

Im sure the kids would find it much more fun here. Not only will it be a new place for them, but they can also get to witness changing seasons and all that Chicagoland has to offer.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:11 PM

270 posts, read 1,110,198 times
You could consider La Grange, Western Spring, + Hinsdale. Houses are expensive there but they are close to downtown chicago and not far from O'Hare.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:01 PM

23 posts, read 48,201 times
Depending on where you're traveling to, I have a great location near Midway airport. Park Place Homes is a Chicago community on the SW side between downtown and Midway Airport. It has single family homes, townhomes and condos in a fenced community. There is a clubhouse with outdoor pool and a fitness center. This is like a suburban community, but in Chicago. Visit their site at parkplacehomeschicago.com or also new west realty .com

Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 AM

24 posts, read 71,571 times
I love Central Florida...have never been to Gainsville but if you are a UF Gator fan thats the place to be. Yes, Florida is hot in the summers, but the winters make up for the heat. Everywhere is air conditioned and most homes have pools.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 8,265 times
I was born and raised in Deerfield and it is a GREAT place to raise your kids. It has grown a lot which is good and bad but it is a lovely place. Very very safe. I live in Arizona now and unfortunately it is nothing like Deerfield was. When I was growing up, all the neighbors were outside talking, bbq's, kids were out playing until dark, riding our bikes around the block, but out here in AZ it is NOTHING like that. So if that is what you're looking for, a very friendly and comfortable environment, and if you can afford it, I definetly reccomend Deerfield, Plus it's only a 20 minute drive to Chicago, very easy. And you are 10 minutes away from Lake Michigan.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:10 PM

15 posts, read 43,783 times
A really good place to go is Wheaton. I do not know what exactly you are looking for, but that won't be a problem in Wheaton because there are cheaper, newer homes on the south half and older, more expensive homes on the north half. The school system is very good. The education doesn't stop there, because Wheaton also has a top 10 US library (of places with populations 50,000-100,000) and Wheaton College. The downtown includes lots of older buildings that house plenty of restaurants, but some new developments including a 5-story 134,000sf retail building and a 189-unit condo development. The train station is also located in downtown, allowing for quick access to Chicago. It's very child-friendly. The Dairy Queen in downtown as well as a mini-golf course and skate park attract many children/teenagers everyday. My son always wants to go downtown, although we don't go that often because we live on the south half of town. Since I have mentioned the north and south halves, you should know that these areas are defined by where they are in relation to Roosevelt Road, which runs through the town. The town is improving a lot, with a 22-story site of a middle school to be redeveloped in the next few years. For more information about Wheaton, visit City of Wheaton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs