Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Possible relocation from Virginia to Chicago suburbs, one bedroom studio apartments, employment opportunities, weekend activities, general traffic concerns, culture shock

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:21 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,280 times

Advertisements

If you zoomed up Sheridan Road, which is a beautiful North Shore winding road along the lakefront lined with Mansions, you could be in Highland Park in 45 minutes. There is rarely traffic, and it is just as fast, if not faster than 94 during most hours, and it is beautiful. You would take it from Evanston through Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, and then end in Highland Park. All of those are very pretty communities. Please do check out the suburban pictures thread to see pictures that I took of Evanston and Highland Park!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 11:51 PM

22 posts, read 60,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
If you zoomed up Sheridan Road, which is a beautiful North Shore winding road along the lakefront lined with Mansions, you could be in Highland Park in 45 minutes. There is rarely traffic, and it is beautiful. You would take it from Evanston through Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, and then end in Highland Park. All of those are very pretty communities. Please do check out the suburban pictures thread to see pictures that I took of Evanston and Highland Park!
Thanks! This sounds like my kind of commute. I'd rather it take longer and still have all my hair when arriving at work . I'm going to go check out those pictures.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:51 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The trip through all the towns from Evanston to Highland Park is kind of crazy to suggest doing on a day-to-day basis. Lots of school zones, stop lights. RR crossings. An awful lot of landscape trucks blocking the side of the road, bicyclists, pets, raccoons et cetera. I would not call that "low stress". The whole trip will seem like "what NEW thing can make this even longer..."
Keep in mind that your avg MPG will be horrible too -- stop, get up to 30, stop, repeat dozens of times. The towns up there deliberate resist upgrading their roads specifically to frustrate "drive through commuters" and the police tend to enforce speeding very strictly.

I will also reiterate that although Evanston is arguably more "interesting" than some other suburbs there are far fewer just-out-of-college people living there than the hippest Chicago areas. And , my main point, for young African-American professionals, the whole Chicago region compares very poorly. Evanston is not an exception, frankly even comparing the UIC/Medical Distrist areas to Evanston, Evanston it is far less likely to meet a people in a similar situation...

Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 PM

65 posts, read 292,283 times
I've never even been to Illinois; I just check out this board a lot because my husband may be offered a job at Great Lakes Naval Station in a year or two and I'd really really like to go, so I'm learning all I can about the area : )

However, I wanted to reply to your thread because just last night I had a conversation with a friend in my book club about living in Evanston. She and her husband both studied at Northwestern and then he went to NW's medical school in downtown Chicago. They really enjoyed living in Evanston (later Chicago) and hanging out in the city on the weekends when they were about the age you are now (which was 7-8 years ago). She said it was a very vibrant, energetic place (Evanston, that is) with lots of young people and diversity (racial and otherwise), and that you NEVER run out of things to do in Chicago.

Just thought I'd toss that out there, since it sounds like you'd be comfortable with finding a place to live with plenty of people in your age group that isn't racially homogenous. And I thought it was a funny coincidence that I just talked last night about what a great place Evanston/Chicago is for college grads/young professionals.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 PM

Thanks chet everett for the reality check. At least if I do choose the Chicago area I won't be shocked. You just had to burst my bubble of a possibly peaceful commute .

team_evans, thanks for the info. It is nice to know if I choose Evanston, that others have had a great time there and at least maybe I won't feel completely out of place.

Thanks everyone for all the information you have given me. In about a week I will have to make my decision. I can't deny the appeal of Atlanta for a young black person, but then I can't dismiss the career opportunities and the appeal of living near a city like Chicago. I'll post the outcome for anyone who is interested. Thanks again!

Old 06-12-2008, 08:51 PM

216 posts, read 723,468 times
WHat about living in Oak Park and commuting to Franklin Park? That wouldn't be bad at all down Grand or North Avenue. The single, African-American women that I have worked with lived in Oak Park and love it there. Just a suggestion to check out, although the Evanston idea is good also. Being near Northwestern, you will always have a good amount of young people.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmi605 View Post
WHat about living in Oak Park and commuting to Franklin Park? That wouldn't be bad at all down Grand or North Avenue. The single, African-American women that I have worked with lived in Oak Park and love it there. Just a suggestion to check out, although the Evanston idea is good also. Being near Northwestern, you will always have a good amount of young people.
Thanks. I'll look into that area if I end up working in Franklin Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs