Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:16 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,222 times

Advertisements

Nysee, the communities you mentioned are all certainly desirable and would fit the bill very well. Finding anything within the price range and the desired amenities (new construction, etc.) could be difficult, however.

It seems that general area has a high appeal to someone such as myself, although it might be pricey. The other alternatives that seem to present themselves so far include Schaumburg/neighboring communities, Arlington Heights, and Naperville.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 03:39 AM

25 posts, read 86,026 times
Here's an idea that may surprise you.

But I've found more "real people" here in the south suburbs than anywhere else.
It's not trendy. Family orientation depends on where you are.
But almost every bar is a sports bar, and every person I've met has been very down-to-earth (not the case in most other suburbs I've visited).

It sounds like you will be depending at least somewhat on the social scene to find clientele? If that's the case, it may be worth living near the south suburb / southwest suburb line -- say Matteson or Richton Park. Plenty of "real people" (albeit family-orineted) east of I-57. Plenty of activity and nightlife over in Tinley / Orland.

Another possibility in the southland is Oak Forest. Again, it is close to Tinley and Orland, but very down-to-earth.

I may sound like a sales pitch for the southland, but I gotta be honest -- I moved here for work 2 years ago, and was sure I'd move back to Michigan as soon as I got the chance. But after being here for 2 years, it's the people and the general relaxed mentality that I've fallen in love with. Not the stereotypical "midwestern friendliness," as we had that in Grand Rapids too. But the easy-going attitude as much as anything.

Besides, 300k around here will get you a heckuva nice townhome, or you could spend less and have a bit more $$$ on hand. You can buy a decent townhome here for under 200k.

Just some food for thought.

Rob

Old 06-30-2008, 04:45 PM

I have to admit, I know little about the south suburbs. I'm more familar with the western suburbs and the downtown -- the north suburbs, not as much, and the southern suburbs, very little at all. But I am certainly open to all options and very much interested in learning as much as possible about all areas!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:42 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,107 times
Hey Hockey fan - I was getting the Schaumy vibe for you too. You may like it there. I haven't been to Naperville in a long time, so I can't say anything about that. As for South side - can't say much there either.

I do think you may not like Evanston too much if you aren't into trendies. Des Plaines might be another place where you can find new contruction. I have no idea about the night life there though.

I also have no idea where the Hockey fans are, but I am sure they are out there. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:59 PM

Although Evanston looks appealing in terms of physical appearance -- mid-size downtown, waterfront city... I agree. I think it's trendier than I'm looking for, although for the right person, it looks like a fine city.

Des Plaines is another city I know little, if anything about, but I am interested in learning more as always!

Old 07-01-2008, 08:29 AM

142 posts, read 427,151 times
If you're open to all options, I would choose the south suburbs over Schaumburg. Besides the whole Woodfield mega-complex, which I consider a con, I don't think Schaumburg offers a whole lot over Orland/Tinley/Palos. There seems to be more of an impatient attitude in Schaumburg compared to those SW burbs, and traffic is a helluva lot worse. I've lived in both areas, and there is a big difference in traffic for sure. I'd rather drive in the city than anywhere near Woodfield.

For a laid-back guy, I'd go with the laid-back SW burbs. Of course, you'd never know they existed if not for forums like this.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:48 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,484 times
Skokie is like the less trendier Evanston, so take a look at that. Wilmette is also good, but it is a very trendy place for urburban families.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
Hey HockeyFan.

Did you ever make a decision about where to live? I'm really curious to know where you ended up. I'm in the same boat as you, a single 30something who's trying to figure where to live. I've been in the Chicago area for 2 years now. I lived in Naperville for a year, then moved out farther west. I was planning to leave Chicago altogether and go some place warmer and cheaper. But now I'm not sure where to go and the lousy economy is making finding a job a lot harder. So I may give Chicago another year and see if my opinion of it changes. Like you, I ruled out the city for cost reasons. Where I live now, I'm surrounded by families. And like you, I would prefer to live in something fairly new.

I'm torn between Naperville and Schaumburg. Since I haven't spent much time in Schaumburg, almost everything I know about it is based on what others have said. I've heard people say it's full of single people, there are more jobs up there, more of a nightlife, and it's easier to get to the airport and downtown Chicago. Naperville, on the other hand, is newer, does have a singles scene (not sure how it compares to Schaumburg's), has a nice downtown, and is more affordable, though not by much. What I didn't like about Naperville was the traffic and the fact that it was so far from the city. Plus, there aren't a lot of jobs there so you either have to drive to Oak Brook or take the train to the city. I don't know yet if I will settle in Chicago, but I figure before I give up on the area altogether, I should find an area where I can get most of what I'm looking for and then maybe my feelings about Chicago will change. One thing I will tell you though is do not venture farther west than Naperville. Out there, it's all family-oriented. You will never feel more out of place or bored out of your mind.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:50 PM

No decision yet -- it could be a while off before anything happens, but I'll let you know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs