Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,173 times

Advertisements

Hi there, we're moving to Mokena from out of state. Should we go with satellite or cable?

I've compared cost and they are basically the same. I'm not interested in all the technical stuff - there are pros and cons to each.

I'd just like to know which people in the area prefer?

Thanks!

Last edited by Tree of Life; 06-16-2008 at 04:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 03:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
I hate Comcast. I love DirecTV. The one company treats its "customers" like criminals, and stupid ones at that, while the other generally tries to deliver a high quality product at a simple to understand price. It is important to specifically let the scheduler know that kind of house you have, and what sort of installer you expect, but I have been MUCH happier with DirecTV than with Comcast.

I also have to say that despite living in a neighborhood with MANY large mature trees and having experienced some severe storms I have rarely experienced any service outages. Typically it has to be a "take shelter" grade storm and the disruption only lasts minutes. With TiVo I also have hours worth of stuff to watch during any downtime.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
We've had Comcast for almost 3 years now and have no complaints whatsoever. Our remote broke twice (oddly) and they were friendly as ever to replace it and w/o issue. No problems with their TV or internet services. A+ for Comcast on my end!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:14 PM

216 posts, read 723,468 times
Just got rid of the DISH...lots of outages every time it rained pretty much. Signed up with the new UVERSE from AT&T. THere have been some problems getting it started, but overall the quality and picture are amazing! Lots of channels, TIVO, and fairly priced. If that is in your area I would recommend it.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:47 AM

313 posts, read 596,338 times
I've never had a problem with Comcast, but I know that many people do. My father has DirecTV (cable is not an option there at the moment) and it's been pretty annoying. He was recently told he can't get a HD dish installed because of trees (and just try getting a tree cut down in Winnetka) and it seems that his dish has been slightly knocked out of allignment, as it is constantly losing signal now, even in calm weather.

I've been thinking about switching to AT&T's uverse thing, but that's not an option most people have at this point. It's significantly cheaper than cable.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:50 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,464,245 times
We had satellite in Boston, MA and whenever there was a big storm (rain or snow) it went out.

So here's my question to you: When the sky turns tornado green, the blizzard of the year hits or the wind sounds bizarrely loud in the middle of the night...are you going to want that TV to work?

Not saying there's a right or wrong answer, but it's something to seriously consider before making the choice.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 AM

I trust weatherunderground.com and AM radio a lot more than any TV station. Even when Tommy Skillethead is going off on a fascinating tornado watch odds are that'll be nowhere near me.

There are sirens all over the western 'burbs too if anything really pops.

Even Greensburg KS had 20 minutes of warning before they were leveled by that F5 storm.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:09 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I hate Comcast. I love DirecTV.
I'm just the reverse.

when we moved here we could not get cable, so we had no choice but to go with Comcast... we had issues about that .... but got over it eventually.

one thing that gets me... the weather channel. I absolutely HATE the weather channel on Dish. On cable, it is for my area/town.

I have Dish at our place in Wisc, and the weather 'details' is for a town that is about 50 miles away. I can't get a local radar... the list goes on.

so, that is my main complaint about Dish. Though when we had it at home... they treated us like idiots. when ever the dish went out due to bad weather, they blamed us, not the ice, blinding rain or snow, high winds, etc. Ditch them like a bad habit as soon as we could.

just my 2 pennies worth....

Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 PM

DirecTV and Dish have not merged. Different companies, different customer service. I have nothing praise for the way I have been treated by DirecTV phone reps, service people, installers. The guy that told me to get DirecTV is a total A/V freak and his advice was for a specific type of antenna with "triple LNB" and a specific brand of multi-input switch (Terk) so that I could watch in any of three rooms, two with TiVo. That is EXACTLY what the instraller brought out and it works flawlessly. I honestly have had no problems with outages in all but "torrential" thunder storms.
Top notch.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:57 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
We had DirecTv here at home for about 3 yrs
We currently have Dish Network in Wisc.... but it is a service thru a different company [Dairy Land Cable] {Odd because it's not cable, its a bunch of dishes.}
so i have never dealt with Dish Network, per se .... but i still dont like any dish.

BUT -- if it were a case where it's Dish or antenna - I'd go back to a Dish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
View detailed profiles of: