Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 AM

5 posts, read 25,574 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Chicago and am looking at affordable ($400,000 ish) homes in the North and/or Northwest suburbs. My research suggests that Grayslake, Libertyville, and Mundelein have affordable houses. I would like a fun, vibrant area near parks and shopping and some character, if possible. Do any of these suburbs fit the bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 03:47 PM

94 posts, read 466,838 times
Id go for mundeline.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:55 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
I would choose Libertyville of the three.It has shopping,character( some older neighborhoods,a "downtown" area),your price range,metra to the city,good schools,lots of parks

Old 07-24-2007, 10:13 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,899,973 times
Ah, so I see one vote for Libertyville, one vote for Mundelein. This question has never, and will never, be completely answered.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Ah, so I see one vote for Libertyville, one vote for Mundelein. This question has never, and will never, be completely answered.
Sure it will,,,when the OP visits and sees what town suits THEM the most

Old 07-25-2007, 09:14 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,058 times
I have friends in Grayslake and was looking into moving up that way at one time. Libertyville has a nice downtown area but is more congested and the priciest of the three towns. I've heard Mundelein has more city mgmt issues, but it is more affordable and also has a Main Street revitalization program. Grayslake has the most new development and I think of it as a more cookie-cutter type area, except for a really neat development called Prairie Crossing, that has native landscapes, farmer's markets, horse barns, and a charter school.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 25,574 times
Thanks for the feedback! How about Vernon Hills?

Old 07-30-2007, 09:23 AM

59 posts, read 248,649 times
Vernon Hills is a nice place. But I suggest looking at Antioch. It is a little bit farther north. But! You can get a WHOLE lot more for the money. We have good schools, Kids are everywhere. Antioch is at the beginning of a boom. We have a super Walmart / Menards in town. But a Kohls, Target and Lowes are being propsed. We have a Metra rail to the city, and the worlds largest Chain O' Lakes. People are quick to write off Antioch, but they are missing a great town. $400k in Libertyville will buy you a 2-2,500 sq ft home. In Antioch you can go as much as 4k sq ft. Or the same size home in Libertyville, but right on the Lake. Stay away from Waukegan, Round Lake, Zion, North Chicago and Beach Park. "Drug and Crime issues"

Old 07-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taluhrs View Post
Thanks for the feedback! How about Vernon Hills?
Vernon Hills is a great community,newer,but lovely neighborhoods,Metra to the city and close to major shoppping,The schools are also excellent and it attracts many familys

Old 07-30-2007, 04:36 PM

20 posts, read 84,237 times
If I were you, I would consider suburbs closer to Schaumburg. Start looking at Buffalo Grove, Lake Zurich, Deer Park, Palatine, Hoffman Estates, or Arlington Heights. Mundelein is an ok choice if you do not have any kids. The schools are not very good. With my first list of towns, there is a greater variety of things to do. You can shop at Woodfield Mall or Deer Park Town Center. There are a lot of parks to choose from (this area fields some of the best youth sports teams in the state), and is more diverse than Lake County.

If you want to live in Lake County, however, I suggest Vernon Hills. Similar to NW suburban towns just a little north or them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs