Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 09:42 AM

27 posts, read 89,896 times

Advertisements

I currently live in england and want to buy a medium to large sized family home with a good sized front and back garden, close to shopping malls and a school. Doesnt need to be an amazing good school just decent. I want to be able to get to work in downtown Chicago in around 30 minutes but 1 hour is ok. That is via train, car or any other method of thransport. I dont really want to consider options further than that. I will have around $800k to spend on this house. I want a relatively safe area but i will consider average areas if it meets other criteria. Please could you tell me where would meet my needs and the distance from downtown Chicago?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it is just down the street (143rd Street) from the Metra Train Station to the Loop (downtown) these homes are in a great school district, the area is very upscale, yet the homes are still in your price range.

Orland Park IL Real Estate, Orland Park Homes For Sale, 60467 MLS

The neighborhood I am refering to is called "Crystal Tree". It is one of the most prestigous neighborhoods on the south side of Chicago, located in Orland Park.

Orland Park is known for being a very rich and upscale suburb with plenty of shopping, restaurants, and things to do (for a burb). It is a 45 minute ride out from The Loop to Orland Park via I-55 to Rte 45 south. Currently there is construction at 140th and La Grange which may slow you down coming into town, but that is expected to be done before the end of the year. Orland Park is a 40 minute ride out by train via Metra.

Here is a little info on the town. Orland Park, IL - Presented by Village Profile

Check it out and good luck.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:43 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
For $800K you can get a really nice house just about anywhere. If you are working in chicago, the closer in the better as commutes begin to really get bad the farther out you go.

LaGrange, Western Springs, Oak Brook, Hinsdale (might be a little too pricey there now), Elmhurst (great town, but watch what you buy here as some areas tend to be overvalued for what you get now) are all good close options for you.

Elmhurst, Lagrange, Western springs all have trains.

Wheaton is also good but farther out but has trains into the city as well.

Good luck.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:00 PM

162 posts, read 803,291 times
Check out Frankfort too - about 30 miles from downtown and can get a lot of house for $800,000 there - plus very good schools and great downtown area.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:36 PM

Oakbrook mall serves the western burbs I listed above and is very nice.

Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 PM
GSE

3 posts, read 21,200 times
Check out Oak Park, In my opinion one of the better suburbs in the U.S., all factors considered.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Also, river forest which is next door to Oak park is nice.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:01 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,609,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny4kj View Post
I currently live in england and want to buy a medium to large sized family home with a good sized front and back garden, close to shopping malls and a school. Doesnt need to be an amazing good school just decent. I want to be able to get to work in downtown Chicago in around 30 minutes but 1 hour is ok. That is via train, car or any other method of thransport. I dont really want to consider options further than that. I will have around $800k to spend on this house. I want a relatively safe area but i will consider average areas if it meets other criteria. Please could you tell me where would meet my needs and the distance from downtown Chicago?

Thanks in advance
I would also suggest Barrington, a beautiful suburb,rolling,lakes,good schools, less then an hour to the city. Beautiful affluent homes and nice family neighborhoods as well, plenty of choices in large yard sizes. Very close to major shopping. Train to the city. Take a peek.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:12 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,508,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSE View Post
Check out Oak Park, In my opinion one of the better suburbs in the U.S., all factors considered.
UGGGHHH I in the past week had the surprising experience of driving on Harlem Avenue right through Oak Park at about 11AM last Tuesday. UGGHHH, I thought I was in Black Harlem, NY or The Bronx. Gangs of young black men were walking up and down the streets shuffling and jivin down the street in their baggies, huge jerzies, gold chains, hats cocked sideways, etc. Then I stopped off at the local Dunkin Doughnuts on Harlem right by the train station and was about the only white face in the whole area and was getting stared at by a group of young BIG men who were looking at me with this look of "what he doin in our hood?" I thought I was gonna get jumped or shot. What a dump! (the whole area around there) Don't get me wrong, there are still the old beautiful houses there, but it seems that all the crap from the west side of Chicago migrated right out to Oak Park, Maywood, Bellwood, and even parts of Berwyn. Its really a shame because I can remember when Oak Park was really nice and still very safe. But today it seems to be a different story, I just can't believe people on here are still recommending that town, or any near there when there are so many nicer burbs to live in.

Last edited by NYrules; 10-12-2007 at 07:23 AM..

Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
UGGGHHH I in the past week had the surprising experience of driving on Harlem Avenue right through Oak Park at about 11AM last Tuesday. UGGHHH, I thought I was in Black Harlem, NY or The Bronx. Gangs of young black men were walking up and down the streets shuffling and jivin down the street in their baggies, huge jerzies, gold chains, hats cocked sideways, etc. Then I stopped off at the local Dunkin Doughnuts on Harlem right by the train station and was about the only white face in the whole area and was getting stared at by a group of young BIG men who were looking at me with this look of "what he doin in our hood?" I thought I was gonna get jumped or shot. What a dump! (the whole area around there) Don't get me wrong, there are still the old beautiful houses there, but it seems that all the crap from the west side of Chicago migrated right out to Oak Park, Maywood, Bellwood, and even parts of Berwyn. Its really a shame because I can remember when Oak Park was really nice and still very safe. But today it seems to be a different story, I just can't believe people on here are still recommending that town, or any near there when there are so many nicer burbs to live in.
Seriously, if you're afraid of black people, you should move to Iowa or the Dakotas.

I go to that dunkin donuts frequently without any problems at all (I'm a skinny Asian dude with geek glasses.) Although Harlem Ave has its share of riff raff, its laughable to call it dangerous. Just up the block from DD is a Starbucks, Wholefoods, Caribou Coffee, Gap, and Border's Bookstore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs