Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2006, 09:01 PM

229 posts, read 170,459 times

Advertisements

It really depends on how much money you have to spend on a house. I've lived all over Chicago, south to north, Barrington to Skokie. If you have upwards of $700,000, best is Northshore, ie Winnetka, Wilmette, North Evanston. For $400,000, I would go to Barrington, Palatine, Arlington Heights. For $300,000 try Morton Grove, Desplaines, Skokie.
In the city, I like Andersonville, not as crowded as Lakeview, but easy to get downtown via Lakeshore Dr. I live in Scottsdale, Az now, moved 4 yrs ago.

Old 12-13-2006, 11:50 AM
mlh

1 posts, read 6,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its really not, thats why Im confused.

Its a great town for adults and kids alike. Always voted in the top 5 "friendliest kid cities" and top 5 "places to live in the USA". The homes are lovely, the schools are great, the shopping is phenom, there are malls, riverwalks, swimming parks, nature preserves, LOTS of concerts and festivities (even in the dead of winter). Its just a really nice and safe big city that has a small town feel to it. Its hard to explain.

When was the last time you were there? Just curious.
Steve-O... I think we all undertsand you have a hard-on for Naperville. You love it and you love what others(including your magazines) think about it. It is the perfect place for the self concious who feel judged by where they live and what they drive. Naperville has abosolutly NOTHING Chicago about it. It reminds me of a ski village in colorado or something. It's maybe nice for moms and daughters to go shopping on the weekends but I think I would puke if I had to live there. Now I know that I definitely have generalized and my opinions may bother some suburban housewives and corporate americans just trying to get that 3rd garage, but it's an opinion. Next time you drive into the loop, forgo the expressway mess or the train and take Roosevelt road all the way in. It will give you a chance to see what life is really like and maybe help sway you to put your money into helping other suburbs other than trying to build a fantasy land for people who already have too much.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Listen, Im trying to help people with genuine questions, not defend myself against the likes of you. I would love to help other communties, and I have. Ive volunteered several times with the West Chicago PD to clean up graffitti (amongst plenty of other things to help poor communities). BUT, people here ask questions about which towns are recommended and which are not. Would you recommend Cicero? I dont think so.

America is about chasing a dream. Right? Right. Thats why your relatives and mine all came here. Right? Right. People in Naperville HAVE chased that dream and are living it. Props to them! Dont get pissy just cuz lots of others have failed. Thats life. I have hardly "succeeded", Ive got some college, but do not even make over 40gs a year. Should we help the needy? Definitely! I do! I give to Goodwill and SA ALL THE TIME. Do you? Im curious as to what you do to help the needy? And where do you live may I ask? Chicago Heights? Doubt it. Napervillians pride themselves in their city, and Im all for it. Its a great town, with great schools, theyve worked hard to get it nationally recognized. Whats wrong with that? I lived in an apt in Naperville and just couldnt afford it after they raised the rent, so we moved. But I still recommend the town, any day, any week.

As far as my money? I hardly have any. Ive been barely making ends meet for the last 7 years, yet I STILL find time to donate clothing and food to shelters. Ive also worked over 40 hours in the last few years at the Northern Illinois Foodbank in St. Charles. So how about this.... how about you show us what YOUVE done to help out the needy, eh?

Until then, how about you come on here and actually help people rather than bash them? There are people out there with questions that need answers, so answer them! Its not rocket science....

I just recommend that town as I lived there for a year and enjoyed it very much. Its a nice town with lots to do.

Last edited by Steve-o; 12-13-2006 at 01:52 PM..

Old 12-13-2006, 01:20 PM

27 posts, read 157,064 times
Good Job! steve-O. Keep up the good work!

Old 12-13-2006, 05:11 PM

104 posts, read 234,678 times
Default re: MLH

Well stated Steve-o!!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 AM

3 posts, read 15,783 times
Default Moving to the Chicago Area

I have lived several places in the Chicago area. I have lived in Hinsdale, which is a very upscale suburb..quiet and safe for the most part and about 20 miles west of Chicago.

I have lived in Clarendon Hills, which is the next town over from Hinsdale. Smaller town, still safe and quiet and is probably one step below Hinsdale as far as wealth wise. This is a very close-nit community with far less yuppies than Hinsdale.

I have lived in Woodridge, which is about 10 to 15 minutes west of Clarendon Hills and takes approximately 40 minutes to get to Chicago. This is a very, very busy suburban town with a bit of traffic, far more than the other two cities. Safety wise...you've got more crime here, especially on the south side of the city. Downers Grove, Westmont, Darien..they would be a better place to live than Woodridge.

Lastly, I have my favorite city where I currently live..Yorkville. I have lived here for 11 years now and have watched it grow, especially over the last five years. There are several new housing developments and new stores coming in. We used to be a small farm town, but fortunately and unfortunately it has gotten to be a busy town. We still have some of that small-town charm and qualities, but many people from Naperville and Hinsdale are moving out here and you can tell a difference.

I know a lot of the towns in the surrounding Chicago area and if I don't know it, my husband can tell you, because he is a truck driver delivering to McDonalds and stops in a LOT of towns in all of North Central Illinois.

I hope I was of some help to you.

Good luck!!

Jolie

Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 12,271 times
Default Darien

How about Darien? I am going to be starting a job there and have been researching housing in the Chicago area.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:22 AM

3 posts, read 15,783 times
Default Darien

Yes, Darien is the next town over from Westmont and is a nice neighborhood for the most part. There are a couple of apartment complexes you would probably want to stear clear of though, but if you were planning on moving in to a single-family house, you shouldn't have too many problems.

Good luck!!

Jolie

Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,612,132 times
One thing I have learned from this thread,,there are alot of wonderful suburbs in the Chicago area and many people love where they live,,great!!. Different strokes though.Besides a nice downtown,I dont get the hoopla about Naperville AT ALL. Unless one really loves chain stores/restaraunts and strip malls and LOTS AND LOTS of folks do judging by traffic. There are excellent schools in many of the suburbs. I also would never consider the south suburbs.And any travel to nw Indiana is and has been a total nightmare.2 cents.no offense

Old 01-10-2007, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,185 times
I am thinking about moving to the area and am looking at North - Wilmette, Northbrook, Lake Forest, Glencoe, Evanston. What I need to know is the truth about diversity on those areas. I have biracial children(black) and we want them not be in the extreme minority. By that I mean maybe one of three in the school! Of the nicer areas North, which ones have a nicer mix of minorities - even Asians, Indians, etc. Coming from California so I am used to different social setting. Also, as for the schools in those areas, what should we expect? Also, good sports programs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs