Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 PM

403 posts, read 929,486 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are considering a move to the Chicago area. We're thinking the western suburbs since I have a sister in Geneva. I enjoy the city and might be working in the loop, so perhaps something halfway between the two would be great (Glen Ellyn?). We currently live in the Raleigh-Durham area and like it quite a bit--we've been here for about 8 years so my blood has thinned out a little. I'm from Ohio originally, however, and would love to live in a larger metro but still connect with a full 4 seasons again although I know the winters are rough.

We would be looking to get by initially on rent in the 680-850 range since I'm unsure what my salary would be and only one of us is likely to be employed at the time of the move. Is there a safe place where we might be able to find this in the western suburbs? I know COL in Chicago is higher, but we own currently and we're trying to curb costs as much as possible at the time of the move as well as get a feel for the area. We're in our early 30's with no children, both enjoy unique restaurants, parks, etc. I enjoy a nice walkable downtown, so if there are towns that might work--I'd love to hear them. Naperville looks nice, but I know it's pretty expensive there.

If anyone has lived in Atlanta, Dallas, wherever in the south and moved to Chicago---how did you adjust to the winters? I've lived through rough winters but wanted to see about the adjustment back from south to north!

Also--if I were to work in the city, are there any towns in the western burbs where we could get rid of one of our cars. I'm trying to get off the auto-dependency thing, but I know it might be impossible in the suburbs unless we lived right near a Metra stop.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Joa

38 posts, read 182,899 times
As someone who is from TX but moved to Alaska (husband is an army officer), I can answer the adjusting to weather question!

For me, outside of knowing what brand of coat to buy that is good for cold winters... you adjust VERY quickly! Oh and getting a good pair of tires as well as realizing our rear-wheel drive car will suck majorly. Imagine me 7 months pregnant, I move to AK ALONE and am locked out of our new home in the dead of winter b/c builder didn't leave me a key in the lockbox.

I've got a disorder where I can't be in weather under 70 w/o complications, and I was fine!!

After a few weeks, your body really does become acclimated to wherever you are living. My husband just went on a job interview in houston from alaska, and after a few days of 100 degree weather ...he was back to feeling comfortable with it. As was his adjustment easy when he went from 118 degree Iraq to Alaska.

I guess it would also depend on how much you're outside. I'm not a lot. I go from point A to the car. Then from the car to point B.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:47 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
With no kids I suppose a couple could rent a studio or something, but it is going to be a VERY VERY VERY basic place for $650 ANYWHERE near a train line that'll get you downtown. I would not characterize rents in the range you are consider as merely "reasonable", that is downright CHEAP. If you had kids I would say flat out FORGET IT, as the that would be too hard, but you sound adventurous.
The UP West line rolls from Elburn to Chicago. There are places to look in all the towns, though in some areas the places that would rent for that little are going to be very much "low rent district"... Metra / Union Pacific West Monday through Friday Inbound Basically in EACH of those towns you could easily find a place that would enable to get by with one/no car. You might literally have the train in your backyard, but that is not uncommon.

I know more than a few folks who have moved to the area from warmer climates and you need to buy winter coats, snow snovels, windshield scrapers, get used to pitch black mornings, grey icy days, all sorts of unpleasant things, but you get used to it quick. Or you leave...

Old 06-29-2008, 12:07 PM

^^

Yeah--realistically looking for something in the $750-$850 range. I've seen listings in Aurora, but I'm not really familiar with that area. We would just be looking for something "cheap" to start before upgrading after we get established. I'm trying to err on the side of caution since we would be living off of one income initially. Before owning here in suburban Raleigh, I think we were paying $745-$765/month for a 1BR. I'm not too concerned about the weather in Chicago, but do appreciate the input. I'm a native Midwesterner so ice and snow are not completely foreign to me.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:44 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
There are some really rough apartment buildings in Aurora and/or those that WAY out in the sticks that will have lower rents, but don't use that as a yardstick. If you quiet newer building with good access to train that raises the cost. Garages add a LOT to cost too, but make icey mornings much easier to deal with. Of course you don't twant to spend more than you can truly afford, but going ultra cheap could make your transition needlessly unpleasant...

Old 06-29-2008, 05:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
you can't get much in the way of apartments for $650 in the fox valley area. you would be looking at closer to 1000/mo. however, you can get a little further west and rent a townhome or a house for 1200 to 1500 a month.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:09 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
I don't think you will find much in the bottom range of your rent unless you a) rent a studio or b) move much further away from the city. As far as getting rid of your car, just make sure you check out the Metra schedules since depending on when you need to get to work, sometimes they only run every hour.

Have you looked into Oak Park? It is right next to the city, and it definately has more of an urban feel. Your commute would be a short 10-15 minutes on the L train (which is also much cheaper than the Metra), and there are lots of shops and restaurants in the area. If you like living somewhere a bit more ecclectic and would rather have an apartment with vintage charm rather than a larger, more modern complex, it would be a good fit.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestion of Oak Park! My brother-in-law lived there years ago while in medical school and he still raves about it. I think that would be a happy compromise between me and my wife's preferences, and I do like the thought of an inner ring suburb with el access and with plenty to do. I looked on some rental sites and did see plenty of apartments in the mid-upper level of my price range...not sure of the locations but there are some decent units to be found. One I noticed was called Berkshires of Glyn Ellyn at around 800 and close to the Metra stop. I've heard pretty good things about Glyn Ellyn as well.

Chet--thanks. Yeah, while I want to stay cheap--I certainly don't want to put us an any danger or end up with more stress because of it.

Thanks for the advice--great forum here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs