Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:31 AM

43 posts, read 159,704 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I'm moving this summer to the burbs so I can work at Brookfield Zoo. I have settled upon Harvard Apartments on S. Austin Blvd, just south of 290 and Columbus Park, and would like to know what folks think of the area.
It seems alright, there's an Aldi's and the park nearby, and the apartments look fantastic for the price, so that's my main attraction - that and it's only a 20 min. car ride to the zoo.
I know it's almost right on the Blue Line, but I'd like to know what buses run in the area - for some reason I can't decipher the CTA map as shown online, so I need info on area transportation.
I can get demographic at Sperling's Best Places, but I'd like some first-hand accounts of the area. If anyone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Welcome to Oak Park!

As you probably know, your location is in southeast Oak Park. Austin Blvd is the border between Oak Park and Chicago. Just across the street from you is The Island neighborhood of Chicago. Just to the south is Cicero.

Most people who want to know about the different neighborhoods want to know about crime levels. In general, crime in Oak Park is greater the further east you go (ie the closer to Chicago). I'm not sure if this holds true south of the expressway, but its definitely true north of it. The Island (your neighbor to the east) seems relatively safe for a Chicago neighborhood. (See EveryBlock: A news feed for your block. for Chicago crime stats.) Likewise, Oak Park crime stats are summarized at Oak Park, Illinois Village Departments -- Police Department. It seems that the southeast corner of OP has relatively low crime over the past few months. I've got friends who own a house around there and they seem to like it.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:31 AM

Thanks - crime is always an issue, unfortunately, though most can be circumvented with quick thinking and common sense. Do you live in Oak Park?

Old 03-06-2008, 12:15 PM

I've lived here for about three years. We live in north Oak Park. There are a couple of people who live in south Oak Park who will probably post with their thoughts eventually.

Any specific questions you'd like answered?

Old 03-06-2008, 01:28 PM

Hmm . . . I suppose I'd like to know what transportation is available around Oak Park. From the CTA website it said there's a 315 (? bus, I'm guessing) running on Austin, which I can take to the 304 to Brookfield Zoo. My primary concern is being able to get to the zoo to work with public transportation. My car's old and I don't want to bring it with when I move.
Also, as it differs from area to area by even a block, can you give me an idea of Oak Park life? I'm not a fanciful person, don't have a lot of possessions so I'm not really into retail shopping, but I very much enjoy parks, animals, jazz clubs, and good food. What is available in those categories? I'll be taking a weekend to come see for myself as soon as it warms up a bit, but in the meantime I'd like to get my facts straight. Thanks!

Old 03-06-2008, 01:44 PM

220 posts, read 744,356 times
I, too, have lived in Oak Park for four years and currently live in central east Oak Park (Near Austin Blvd and next to Green Line).

There is alot of good stuff to do in Oak Park. In summer there is Music in the Park at Scoville Park at Lake St and Oak Park Ave. (next to the main library).

Lots of good restaurants. Columbus Park is actually quite nice and even has a 9-hole (?) gold course and was originally designed by Jens Jensen.

If you have a good bike, Oak Park is very accessible during nice weather.

As for public tranportation to the Zoo from your future residence - you could take the Blue Line to the Forest Park Transit Center (end of the line for the Blue) and there may be Pace buses that go toward the Zoo (either via Des Plaines Ave. or 1st Ave.)

Plus, you will live near the Roosevelt Rd corridor that has all the daily services you will probably need (grocery, pharmacy, restaurants, etc.) and it improving tremendously.

Welcome to Oak Park!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:16 PM

This is great information; I'll keep this post going until I visit a few times to get my bearings. Thank you - Oak Park seems to be quite friendly!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancelynn2002 View Post
Hmm . . . I suppose I'd like to know what transportation is available around Oak Park. From the CTA website it said there's a 315 (? bus, I'm guessing) running on Austin, which I can take to the 304 to Brookfield Zoo. My primary concern is being able to get to the zoo to work with public transportation. My car's old and I don't want to bring it with when I move.
Also, as it differs from area to area by even a block, can you give me an idea of Oak Park life? I'm not a fanciful person, don't have a lot of possessions so I'm not really into retail shopping, but I very much enjoy parks, animals, jazz clubs, and good food. What is available in those categories? I'll be taking a weekend to come see for myself as soon as it warms up a bit, but in the meantime I'd like to get my facts straight. Thanks!
The 315 and 304 buses are run by Pace, not the CTA. Pace runs the suburban buses (in contrast to the CTA which is mostly responsible for city bus service, its very complicated.) Check out Pace Bus - A Fresh Approach to Public Transportation for details. It looks like the 315 and 304 buses run only hourly or half hourly at best. That means if you miss your connection (at Austin and Cermak), you might be waiting a while for the next bus. You could ride a bike to Austin and Cermak (a little over a mile away) and catch the 304 bus (buses have bike racks) so you wouldn't be dependent on the 315 being on time. Honestly, without a car there will be considerable hassle involved, but it does seem doable.

For getting around town, check out the FREE Oak Park shuttle bus:
Getting Around the Village of Oak Park (http://www.oak-park.us/About_Our_Village/getting_around_shuttle.htm - broken link)
It runs a few blocks from your apartment, and is good for getting to downtown Oak Park. Obviously the Blue line is good for getting into Chicago.

Regarding non-work stuff, Roosevelt Rd is the closest commercial strip, and its got everything you will need. For jazz, check out Fitzgeralds (Welcome to FitzGerald's!) which is at Roosevelt and East. One of the best places in the metro area to see live jazz. Its got a good restaurant attached to it too.

Just a few blocks north of you is the Harrison Street Arts district (from Austin to Ridgeland) which has a bunch of art galleries, restaurants etc. A theater company (Circle Theater) is relocating to the Arts district from Forest Park in a year or so.

Both Roosevelt Rd and Harrison street seem to be on an upward trajectory. Lots of new businesses coming to both areas.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:56 PM

71 posts, read 269,278 times
Many apartment buildings on Austin are very beautiful. I grew on the north side on Humphrey (just west of Austin) and still live in Oak Park. Austin Blvd. gets a lot of crime that spills over from the west side of Chicago. A little common sense helps, but I know people (more than you'd think) who have been victims of armed assaults in that area despite all of the common sense in the world.

Transportation is great in that area because the Austin 93 (bus) can take you directly to the green and blue El lines.

Austin is very noisy and has a lot of litter. It has a very urban feel.

You could also look in Berwyn-it has just as many parks and has some up and coming bars and restaurants. It's also on the Metra line that would take you directly to the Brookfield Zoo station train station. Forest Park would also be an option to check in to.

I really love Oak Park because of its racial diversity, great schools, beautiful houses (that most can't afford), trees, and its revitalized downtown. That said, to me it's not worth it to live that close to Austin.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Question Pet-related businesses?

What can you Oak Park folks tell me about pet stores there?

I'm looking to get a dog or two when I move and would like to know what's available near Columbus Park - Roosevelt Ave. & S. Austin Blvd.

Also, what dog parks are available?

Thanks everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs