Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 02:57 PM

15 posts, read 75,992 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We(my husband and I) are new to Chicago and are looking for a house in Naperville/Lisle/Wheaton areas. I currently work near O'Hare. Is there any public transportation(like metra) from Naperville/Lisle/Wheaton to ORD. We are looking for a house with

1. 3 bedrooms around 2000 sqft.
2. preferably built after year 2000 with lot of natural light
3. brick exterior.

Just to give you guys an idea about the kind of area we am looking for -- we recently visited a subdivision called ArborView Drive in Lisle. We would love to live in a subdivision like that which has some curvy roads and is a little hilly compared to the cookie-cutter type homes in a single straight line. We also visited a subdivison near Benedictine university in Naperville on Dunrobin Dr. We liked that too.

How much do we have to spend to buy a home like that?

One more question -- In case we buy one, Will the house appreciate in these areas as its going to be in an already developed area? What are the fast growing suburbs in/around Chicago?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 03:39 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Welcome Donna28!

Unfortunately the little bits of bus service that Pace gets support for in DuPage are not geared toward getting commuters to /from ORD. It would be an extremely convoluted and time consuming task to get there from any of the towns mentioned. Driving is pretty much the only way to go, either singly or in car pool.

I think that 2000 sq ft is smallish for a 3 bedroom, especially one so new. Generally in the Chicago suburban region more people shop by number of bedrooms and bathrooms. A 2000 sq ft 3 bedroom might have one bath, a bath and half, two full baths or even two full and one half bath. My own home has three full baths and one half bath, it would technically list as only three bedrooms, though I do have lots of finished space below grade, and the official sq ft would only be alittle over 2000 sq ft...

While most agents will have no trouble running a report of listings that has houses only XX years old, I do not think such a criteria is useful for much. I have owned homes that were solid masonary, brick on block, that were much more maintenance free than an home built of wood with brick veneer. They basically have not made homes that way in 40+ years. That is not to say all newer homes are poorly constructed, in fact some newer homes are very well built. Unfortunately it is just about impossible to screen for "quality of construction" in the MLS.

I am familiar with the subdivisions you mentioned. On the low end you might find something for $350K, if there is a special motivation for the seller / foreclosure you might go even lower. The high end of those areas could be triple +++...

I suggest that you consider a whole lot of areas, unless there is some special reason that you want to be in Naperville/Lisle/Wheaton there are many towns that have developments similar to those you've visited and may be closer to ORD. Many of the towns are as good / better in terms of schools and other ammentities.

Despite recent disruption caused by turmoil in the credit markets, Chicago suburban prices in mature developed areas have risen as much as in new developments, if not more. I cannot predict the future, but I do know that many people in the region prefer mature development to new. If this trend continues appreciation should as well.

The faster growing suburbs are generally further west. Some in Will or McHenry Co would be too far for a daily commute to ORD. Unlike some regions Chicago is well served by commuter rail and established patterns of growth tend to be favored.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:44 PM

409 posts, read 1,518,107 times
You'll definitely want to be in Schaumburg, Rosemont, Itasca, Park Ridge, or places very close to ORD if you are working there, because traffic is TERRIBLE around there.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:24 AM

945 posts, read 1,988,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
You'll definitely want to be in Schaumburg, Rosemont, Itasca, Park Ridge, or places very close to ORD if you are working there, because traffic is TERRIBLE around there.

I beg to differ. These areas do not fit the other criteria the OP is looking for- neighborhood type subdivisions, etc... and can be every bit as hard to get to Ohare as the ones she listed, depending on how far the home they choose is from the highways to ORD. The 3 areas she gives are night and day to suburbs like Park Ridge or Rosemont.

The ideal would be Elmhurst, with easy access to 294, no matter how bad the traffic, an easy commute to ORD. Same with the North parts of Villa Park, Lombard, and yes, North Wheaton. It's an easy commute for us form N. Wheaton as we are just 1/2 s. of Rt. 64(north ave.) and we reach ORD in less than 40 min., every time we go. If non rush hour, we can do it in less the 1/2 hour from N. Wheaton.

I won't waste the OP's time plugging our suburb of Wheaton as I don't want to be accused of such but a great community with top notch schools, $350,000 can get you a nice home in a nice neighborhood. Just remember to stay NORTH (of downtown) when looking at possibilities. One of our good friends works at ORD and lives in our old neighborhood in N. Wheaton. He thinks he has an easy, short commute compared to what he delt with going downtown. He said most days it takes him 1/2 hr. or less, driveway to pariking lot.

Good luck

Old 07-03-2008, 10:19 AM

409 posts, read 1,518,107 times
I don't understand why you don't want to push your community. I thought that was one of the goals of this website. You make recommendations, based on experience.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
I don't understand why you don't want to push your community. I thought that was one of the goals of this website. You make recommendations, based on experience.
I know, but we've taken quite a beating when we do plug our community, with insults flying left and right, as well as being accused of "trying to sell our own home", even though we explained we still live in Wheaton, just moved to a bigger home. It got a little tiresom! And we sold our other home, and I'm sure it wasn't because I "pushed it" on this forum. On top of that, when I give straight forward advise (like commute time to ORD) or something very factual, we are accused of lieing. So I'll say it, Wheaton would be a great choice, and the North side for easier commute purposes to ORD. South Wheaton is much more congested and has a lot more commercial interuptions that make commuting harder and longer, if you are trying to get North.

Thanks, Nysee53. I appreciate you allowing us a chance to push Wheaton. We are 17 year residents and counting. Last home we built to stay. Raising our 4 kids in a wonderful, beautiful, friendly, fun, great school dist. of a town!!! Can't wait for the 4th of July parade tomorrow, even though we're democrats!(LOL-that's a joke, since Wheaton has such a reputation for being conservative republicans). Well, at least there is one democratic family among the conserves! And can't wait for that parade anyway- the kids LOVE it, we love it! Dancing on front street to , loud music, playing trivia, kids running around and getting wet in the fountain, getting "smashed" at the popcorn shop while picking out all that candy, and just "being" on front street until the parade comes around! It truly is a great event and a chance to see and gather with great friends. Nysee53, I hope I didn't go on too much. Sorry if I did! Thanks again.
FMV

Old 07-03-2008, 09:34 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times
FMV, you won't be the only Democrat at the parade tomorrow

Old 07-03-2008, 09:36 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,575 times
FMV, I spotted the first chair and string set up LAST NIGHT on Main st. Do you have your spot marked off yet. Only in Wheaton do people line up chairs to mark their spot for the parade 36 hours in advance

Old 07-04-2008, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
FMV, I spotted the first chair and string set up LAST NIGHT on Main st. Do you have your spot marked off yet. Only in Wheaton do people line up chairs to mark their spot for the parade 36 hours in advance

Thanks! LOL- You're right, only in Wheaton. I saw those strings too. Believe it or not, we always just go about 9:00 straight to Front St. and never have a problem getting a spot somewhere between Hale and Main. Maybe people figure it's impossible to try, so they don't. Hope we're lucky this year too! I think Obama should have marched!!! And we'll miss seeing good ole Henry Hide, sittin' on the back of that poor convertable! OK, time to shut up! By the way, do you favor Irish setters? I grew up with them as our family dog and love em'. Wish we had one now.
Happy 4th.

Old 07-04-2008, 06:08 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,941,830 times
FMV, I agree with you about Wheaton. Wonderful community. Don't know why you keep dissing south Wheaton. It is beautiful down here with many lovely homes and areas and really easy to get on 1-88 to go to the city. Also it takes me seven minutes to get to the train station to go into the city. I don't find it congested at all, at least not in the residential parts. True the Danada area has more traffic but thats because of all the nice stores here in abundance which North Wheaton doesn't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs