Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 PM

7 posts, read 45,097 times

Advertisements

Seen mixed things about Highwood. Great nightlife and downtown but a few shady areas. What parts of Highwood would be considered sketchy? I saw a craigslist listing for an apartment right across from the Highwood Metra? How would that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 04:02 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
I don't think I'd classify that area as "shady" though the apartments in Highwood were some of the shabbiest (and not in chic way) on all of the north shore as recently as 3 years ago. I don't know that they've gotten better, but the location alone should make it worth checking out. Lots of options for bars and dining, nice commute to many interesting places.
Even if the neighbors are lawn care workers and busboys that does not make them "unsafe"...

Old 07-02-2008, 08:37 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,484 times
Highwood doesn't really have any nightlife. Highwood is unsafe, it has a considerable amount of crime. Fort Sheridan is really the only OK place in Highwood. It is surrounded by an electric fence! There are some nice areas of Highwood that border Highland Park, but are not very nice by North Shore standards.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,964 times
What about all the restaurants and bars? I'd consider that nightlife.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:37 PM

There are some, but not as many as Evanston or Highland Park.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:14 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,465 times
Highwood has nightlife. Drive by Miramar or Birdie McKenna's or Buffo's or Gabriel's Backstage on a Friday night.

Most of Highwood is pretty safe. It's totally different than the rest of the North Shore, but interesting and vibrant.

If the apartment is directly across from the train station, it's on Green Bay Road and I wouldn't consider that sketchy. May not be what you are looking for but worth a look.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
There are some, but not as many as Evanston or Highland Park.
That doesn't mean it doesn't have a nightlife. HP and Evanston don't have as many bars and restaurants as Chicago, does that meant they don't have a nightlife either?

Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 PM

Well for a suburb. I wouldn't go to Highwood for nightlife, atmosphere isn't too great.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM

The bars are not my cup of tea, but some of the restaurants are nice.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:16 PM

23 posts, read 80,673 times
I'd hate to beg to differ. But I will.

Highwood has better rated restaurants than Evanston and Highland Park, combined. Its been that way for years. Del Rio was the first Italian restaurant in the Midwest... Gabriels, Froggys, and Miramar are award winning five star fine dining. La Casa de Isaac (though 1/2 block in Highland Park, its still Highwood) is the top rated upscale Mexican restaurant in Chicago for 2008.

Let's not even go into Nite "n Gale (top rated for almost 100 years), and Buffo's Pizza, the TOP dinner restaurant and pizza and brew pub. Sage Grille was (along with Isaacs) rated BEST new restaurants in Chicago in 2008.

Bar and nightlife, its not Chicago, but its not like boring old Highland Park, that closes at 11pm! We've got live entertainment at Bridie McKennas, Gabe's Backstage Lounge, Highwood Lanes. We've got a dinner theatre above the Curry Hut (oh also 4 star rated Indian) Live shows at teddy O'briens with their nice outdoor patio, and 4-5 other smaller pubs/bars.

We have the #1 Bocce court in the USA. Yeah, literally, Bocce Ball World cup is held in Highwood.

Did I mention you can walk to all of this?

I've lived here for 2 years, in this wonderful charming neighborhood. I could've lived in Lake Forest or Highland Park, but I chose this cute little town. In that time, the biggest "crime" I have been witness to, is a firecracker going off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs