Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,836,401 times

Advertisements

Brings to mind an old article in the Tribune Sunday Magazine, perhaps 25 years ago, about the East Side. One resident they interviewed mentioned that often they get their mail extremely late or not at all, because inexperienced post office employees cross off the "E" in their address and change it to a "W", thinking most likely that an address that far east would have to be out in Lake Michigan somehwere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,274,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
He certainly was confusing neighborhoods. I had never heard anyone call South Shore the East Side until today.
well u learn something new everyday...

Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
stop
Go to south shore or south chicago or the real east side and ask around ALOT of people refer to it as the "east side" or "over east". Hell i lived there when i was younger and even we grew up calling it "the east side". However now I just refer to it as part of the south side cause it is what it is but like i said ask somebody from that area i gaurentee that at least half the people will say they r from the "east side".
South Shore being part of the east side sub-region is a new one to me. When I think of eastside hoods, South Chicago, South Deering, Eastside, and Hegewisch comes to mind. For the most part neighborhoods east of Stony or South Chicago Ave. and starting at 79th going south is what I thought was the eastside. The southside is the biggest in land mass and always been divided into 2-3 sub areas.

But really this isn't the thread to talk about if there really is a sub-regional eastside in Chicago. I'm surprised this thread I created 2 yrs ago been resurrected from its grave.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-29-2010 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,274,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
South Shore being part of the east side sub-region is a new one to me. When I think of eastside hoods, South Chicago, South Deering, Eastside, and Hegewisch comes to mind. For the most part neighborhoods east of Stony or South Chicago Ave. and starting at 79th going south is what a lot of people call the "Eastside". The southside is the biggest in land mass and always been divided into 2-3 sub areas.

But really this isn't the thread to talk about if there really is a sub-regional eastside in Chicago. I'm surprised this thread I created 2 yrs ago been resurrected from its grave.
I really dont know why folks from S.Shore say theyre from the "east side" but in any case alot of them do. esp if they live south of , lets say 67th and east of stony island. Again I dunno why, may be it has to do with the curvature of the lake, but it is what it is.

but this is about harvey anyways..

Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 AM

16,915 posts, read 14,252,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post

Go to south shore or south chicago or the real east side and ask around ALOT of people refer to it as the "east side" or "over east" or "the south east side". Hell i lived there when i was younger and even we grew up calling it "the east side". However now I just refer to it as part of the south side cause There is really no east side. But like i said ask somebody from that area i gaurentee that at least half the people will say they r from the "east side".

But anyway this is about harvey
mas23
LMAO ... trust me when i say that, someone from the East Side or South Chgo or South Deering or Slag Valley or the Bush or Jeffrey Manor is not going to refer to South Shore as the East Side.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:22 PM

320 posts, read 713,892 times
I always thought that anything East of Stony Island and South of 67th street ( or directly south of Jackson Park) was the Eastside? This is mainly due to the curvature of the Lake and the fact that Stony Island and Jeffery pratically starts on 67th St. IDK, it always made since geographically to call that entire area the "East side".

Anyway, I have a class on that area that's called "Chicago's Southeast Side", which I think is what most people would call that area.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:52 PM

320 posts, read 713,892 times
Anyway,

If I was mayor of Harvey, I would Clean up the areas near the Metra and Downtown. Revitalized that entire area and create a Transit-Oriented Design concept that centers around the two Metra stops and the bus terminal. Increase police protection 10-fold for this area. Something similar has already taken place on 147th, east of the tracks.

I would encourage retail development on 147th, 159th, Halsted and Dixie Hwy, since these are extremely busy highways. Increase police protection

I would tear down all of the delapidated buildings and build some brand new ones. Also, I would create some extremely strict ordinances with very harsh penalties that would force the people or landlords to keep up their properties or leave the city.

I would try to get the community invovled in helping turn the city around by providing them with some oppurtunities in construction, maintenance, community patrol, volunteering, etc.

If the people don't get involved then there's no point in trying to changing anything.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:34 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,148,401 times
5 shot and 4 dead over the weekend in Harvey.

Friday night Oct 22nd- 31 year old man shot dead in his car on 151st & Wood. That is only 3 blocks east of me.
Man found shot to death in car in Harvey :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Chicago Crime

Sunday night Oct. 24th- A woman and two children, 9 and 16 were shot dead in an apartment on 151st PL(directly west of Dixie). A 4 year old was also shot, but luckily he survived.
Harvey Shooting: Woman, two children fatally shot, one boy injured in Harvey on 151st Place | abc7chicago.com

If I was mayor of my city

First tear down Dixie Square and build a mini-mall(and not one full of beauty supply stores and Mcdonalds). I would also tear down them boarded up Cornett Village apartments on 154th and build town homes. Limit section 8 to mostly senior citizens(at least 55 years of age). Fill up the vacant lots on 154th with businesses(excluding churches, liquor stores and beauty supply stores).

Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,325 times
If I was mayor I would tear down every abandoned building. I would condem every slum then tear it down. I would leave the land vacant untill whole blocks where available and developers wanted them. If not fine. keep on condemning and demolishing sooner or later some one will want to build a new city. As far as the gang bangers and drugees ..throw them in jail . Public intoxication ..possesion of weapons. Trespassing. Jay walking. Loitering. Public urination what ever .and keep arresting them daily if needed.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 547 times
Default Harvey

Harvey was a great place to live, and work. But there is so much to build back You have to first find ways to bring back manufacturers. Give hem deals to move in, but beg them to help restore the schools as well. then push to also bring back more stores like Harvey had before the Mall. Get Local shopkeepers,and get the people behind them in a way that restores safety to the shopping experience. A community concept has to be what droves people. One more think, bring in churches that instill the fear of od, andmke everyone know ta Jesus watches everymve that everyone makes. ou do that, then there is hope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs