Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 AM

223 posts, read 757,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
You can but most regional and national chains are highly cognizant of all areas and markets in major urban areas, and use demographic models to determine where they will and will not go. So communities that feel they lack in retail are usually better off focusing on other things (e.g. lower crime, better schools) that will attract more affluent residents into their community first. In other words, Harvey can call Starbucks all day long and it ain't gonna matter.
I agree with what you wrote, but just out of curiosity I checked online if there are any Starbucks in Berwyn... there are none... the closest one being @North Riverside Park Mall. Interestingly enough there is a Starbucks in Cicero...go figure

Old 11-15-2009, 09:27 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,995,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danischu View Post
If residents in the Beverly, Evergreen, etc. area contacted the stores they would like to see in their neighborhoods and let those stores know how much residents would love to have them in their area, the stores will likely respond to those requests - but doing nothing will result in nothing
I shop in the area often and there is plenty of retail. The only problem they have is evergreen plaza mall is a bit outdated. It has too much competition from other nearby malls and the decor is dated(too 1980ies), the anchor store sizes are too small for most new retail stores, and it has a slightly odd layout(no central part of the mall really).

Even if the mall had no bad reputation it is a dark empty place that I wouldn't fill safe in if the place was filled with nuns, much less the average joe off the street.

I like the mall, but it could do with some serious redecoration, reconfiguration, and needs more retail.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
In Lake County, Wakegan, Zion and North Chicago have had a bad reputation. So did Round Lake for a time. And you could argue that Schiller Park is bad because it has no big-box stores. But in fact that suburb is surrounded by Forest Preserves and the airport, so there is not the necessary population to support one. My rule of thumb is where there are no stores other than liquor, and maybe convenience, stores in the neighborhood. But why would you care? I thought you want to buy in the best neighborhood you can afford.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:19 PM

31 posts, read 102,348 times
Elgin, Streamwood, cicero, Gary, Carpentersville ,Harvey, Hanover Park, I don't know about reputation but the Fox Lake area blew my mind, in a bad way.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:23 PM

31 posts, read 102,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
In Lake County, Wakegan, Zion and North Chicago have had a bad reputation. So did Round Lake for a time. And you could argue that Schiller Park is bad because it has no big-box stores. But in fact that suburb is surrounded by Forest Preserves and the airport, so there is not the necessary population to support one. My rule of thumb is where there are no stores other than liquor, and maybe convenience, stores in the neighborhood. But why would you care? I thought you want to buy in the best neighborhood you can afford.

Ok, I guess The Lake County thing is not just my opinion.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,735 times
Aren't indoor malls passe'? The direction that commerce seems to be going is the freestanding big stores like you see in Bolingbrook, Mokena and other places.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
According to Joel Garreau in his 1991 book, "Edge City", 250,000 customers must live within 15 minutes of a mall for it to be successful. So the issue is not that indoor malls are passe` but that in most markets, all the possible locations have already been developed.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,919,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showme314 View Post
Elgin, Streamwood, cicero, Gary, Carpentersville ,Harvey, Hanover Park, I don't know about reputation but the Fox Lake area blew my mind, in a bad way.
I don't think that Elgin has a bad rep. It has a few more Hispanics now I guess, but that does not make it bad.

Now Harvey is another bag. I am not too sure on Cicero, Streamwood, and Hanover Park. I have not been to those places.

For Carpentersville, I'd just wonder what's going on there? I never hear of anything. Why is Gary on here? It's part of Indiana.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Showme314 View Post
Fox Lake area? Seriously? Are we talking about the same Fox Lake area where people keep their half-million-dollar lakefront weekend cottages?

Old 02-18-2010, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 5,868 times
How is summit-argo? I'm looking for a rent there.
I know its neighbour bedford park is pretty good though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs