Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:31 PM

21 posts, read 111,410 times

Advertisements

My husband, 2 year old and soon to be born new baby are considering moving to the Chicago area. I was surprised to see 3 bedroom homes there in the 250-325k range. I think the schools near the homes were good. Could this be right? I'm a stay at home mom and my husband makes about 80k a year. Can we afford to live there? We actually want to be near the city center, but from what I've read on here the schools seem iffy.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 09:15 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
Yes, there are some bad parts of Evanston. Which school districts are you looking at?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:38 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Evanston definitely has some areas that are not particularly desirable, some of these are rundown/ noisy/too close to commercial concerns, others would be accurately called unsafe.

Depending on your situation with credit, savings, previous property sale you may be in a position where $80K does make it possible to live comfortably in Evanston. Our hosts here have this info about median house hold income:
Estimated median household income in 2005: $58,940 (it was $56,335 in 2000)
Evanston $58,940
//pics2.city-data.com/hin2005/5399.png (broken link)

As you can see many household make far less than $80K.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:20 PM

Thanks! I wasn't looking at specific school districts, just at houses. If I knew which school districts were the best, I would look at the houses there to see if we can afford it there. Any ideas about which are the best?

Old 07-05-2008, 11:22 PM

409 posts, read 1,518,107 times
You want to stick to Willard, Dewey, Lincoln, Orrington, Kingsley Elementary School Districts. Those all feed into either Nichols or Haven Middle Schools as well as Evanston High School. You might also look at New Trier High School District. It is Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Northfield, Glencoe, as well as part of Glenview and Northbrook. You may find it difficult in Evanston as most of Evanston is very well-to-do. The median income is brought down for a variety of reasons of no concern. Don't pay attention to the map of Evanston outlining OK, Nice, etc. It is not correct, the user says an area where the most expensive homes are is just OK instead of Nice, so yeah. Skokie is a good option also, you get pretty decent schools, perhaps Evanston schools also.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:38 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
You want to stick to Willard, Dewey, Lincoln, Orrington, Kingsley Elementary School Districts. Those all feed into either Nichols or Haven Middle Schools as well as Evanston High School. You might also look at New Trier High School District. It is Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Northfield, Glencoe, as well as part of Glenview and Northbrook. You may find it difficult in Evanston as most of Evanston is very well-to-do. The median income is brought down for a variety of reasons of no concern. Don't pay attention to the map of Evanston outlining OK, Nice, etc. It is not correct, the user says an area where the most expensive homes are is just OK instead of Nice, so yeah. Skokie is a good option also, you get pretty decent schools, perhaps Evanston schools also.

The OP is looking for a home in the $250- 325 range and you are suggesting that Evanston may be too expensive and also that she should look at Winnetka and Kenilworth?

Old 07-06-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
The OP is looking for a home in the $250- 325 range and you are suggesting that Evanston may be too expensive and also that she should look at Winnetka and Kenilworth?
Are you saying you don't think Evanston is too expensive? Or that Winnetka and Kenilworth are also too expensive?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:22 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,725,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha129 View Post
Are you saying you don't think Evanston is too expensive? Or that Winnetka and Kenilworth are also too expensive?

I think Evanston is doable, at that price point, Winnetka and Kenilworth are waaaay more expensive. Accourding to City-Data, the median home in Evanston sells for $370k, the median house in K/W sells for 1,490k , Winnetka's median house cost is $1,159k. So, yes I think its absurd to point you towards communities which have no homes in your price range.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:56 PM

346 posts, read 709,227 times
Evanston is huge so there will be some unsafe areas.
The only parts of Evanston I would not recommend would be either:

a.) Near Howard + Ridge
b.) Anything west of Dodge - starting North of Dempster and ending inside the McCormick/Green Bay/Emerson triangle.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 PM

409 posts, read 1,518,107 times
You'll have difficulty finding a home in Evanston for $370K, the new information from the Tribune says Evanston's median home value is around $660K. It is possible to find something though. Wilmette has housing for around $300K. There are some nice areas around Dodge and west of Dodge. Try to do your own homework on Evanston, do some driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs