Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 03:29 PM

702 posts, read 2,523,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nysee53 View Post
I have lived in two old homes, the energy costs in my rental were ridiculous, and the other one was a 1914 American Prairie and it was hell. Everything continued to fall apart even after a gut rehab. On top of that it was in Evanston so the taxes were twice as much as a home of the same value in Winnetka, or similar. There are good options on the North Shore if you want more bang for your buck. Highland Park is good, Lake Forest is even a better deal, Knollwood in Lake Bluff, Glenview/West Northbrook, and West Wilmette all offer good prices per square foot.....
Old homes have the charm but you better have a big pocket book LOL. Our house was built in 1920 and we have put quite a bit into it and yes, the utilities are more expensive, so new windows and new heating systems help those old walls made of plaster with no insulation behind them. Luckily things we've rehabbed haven't fallen apart, but it seems there's always a project.

As for more bang for your buck - don't forget Northfield - it seems to be less pricey.

I would also add that the NS communities have been very stable over the years, so I would say that adds to their appeal - a safe investment in addition to the amenities. Sometimes you can't be sure with newer, less established communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 06:04 PM

409 posts, read 1,517,872 times
I don't know my hometown Glencoe has not been so stable and it has been here for years, but of course it is more stable then say Northbrook or Buffalo Grove, etc. Northfield is nice but there are not too many in the middle properties. You have $500,000 homes, then $1,500,000 homes, and then $3,000,000+ homes. It doesn't fit everybody, but it is a great place to get a toehold in the NT dist. and the North Shore.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:13 PM

60 posts, read 291,711 times
Okay, I just moved to the North Shore from out-of-state. So far everyone seems friendly and normal. We moved to this area because I wanted a walkable neighborhood, good schools, easy access to the lake, and to be fairly close to some inlaws who moved to the NS over a decade ago. So far, I'm happy with my decision - but then, I haven't received my first tax bill yet!
Now, who the heck are Laurie Dann and David Biro?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:19 PM

532 posts, read 1,231,796 times
If you are not maxing out your 401k and IRAs you should not be living in North Shore

Old 06-11-2011, 07:40 PM

8 posts, read 24,665 times
Having lived in Buffalo Grove all of my life, I don't understand why you all are getting upset my it. It is a wonderful little community, espically on the Lake County half. In terms of real estate, most homes, at least before the economy fell apart, were selling at 500,000 plus. Not only that, but the schools in Buffalo Grove are some of the best in the country. Having been inside New Trier classrooms before, Stevenson is much cleaner, newer, and technologically advanced. Winnetka is not as beautiful as you all are making it out to be. The whole area in inflated by the house prices and how snobby too many of the people are.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Odd criteria...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evjohns2 View Post
Having lived in Buffalo Grove all of my life, I don't understand why you all are getting upset my it. It is a wonderful little community, espically on the Lake County half. In terms of real estate, most homes, at least before the economy fell apart, were selling at 500,000 plus. Not only that, but the schools in Buffalo Grove are some of the best in the country. Having been inside New Trier classrooms before, Stevenson is much cleaner, newer, and technologically advanced. Winnetka is not as beautiful as you all are making it out to be. The whole area in inflated by the house prices and how snobby too many of the people are.
The current spread of selective admissions high schools means that such schools dominate even rankings that have useful dimensions. That said the mix of residents in traditional high schools is far and away the biggest factor in determing how well the students will perform in aggregate. Thus any rankings tend to parallel household incomes.

There is a very poor correlation between the investment in facilities and student performance. Even among colleges some of the most decrepit old campuses have a tradition of outstanding instruction.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:43 PM

24 posts, read 41,624 times
Default Just bought on the NS

We just purchased a home in HP for all the reasons cited by others. We are coming from the crazy world of suburban DC and were looking for the walkability. My husband will be able to walk to the train in 5 minutes and there are coffee shops, restaurants, and the library within a 10 - 15 minute walk. We looked at homes in La Grange, Western Springs, Downer's Grove, Naperville, etc., but it all came down to the lake access.

We too rejected NTHS--many alums have told us it is a pressure cooker unlike anything we have experienced back east. All the rankings for schools all over Chicagoland were excellent, so I think that comes down to where you think your kids will fit in best. I loved what I read about Stevenson as well, and Lyons, and OPRF, but it again came down to walkability and the lake.

Finally, current home prices are depressed enough that we were able to purchase a nice home at a rock bottom price. Our 401ks are just fine. I drive a 12 year old mini van and DH's Volvo was wrecked by DD, so he drives a heap now too. I hope our vehicles will fit in!

Old 06-12-2011, 02:34 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,417,868 times
One problem with towns such as Gurnee & Buffalo Grove is that a rail commute into the Loop really stinks compared to rail commutes from a lot of the North Shore towns (esp. if you live near a station). The Metra North Central line from Buffalo Grove is a joke (not frequent enough) & takes way too long to reach the Loop. Gurnee doesn't have a train station period and relies on other nearby areas that do have Metra access. These towns are very good if you work in Lake County, however.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:58 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountylifer View Post
Whats everyone's opinion of the North Shore Suburbs and how they have changed over the years? Does the hype match the value? Is your life Truly better in Winnetka vs. Buffalo Grove?

Should a family sacrifice every penny for a huge mortgage in Highland Park (at the expense of little to no contribution to a 401K for example) because the school system is supposedly better and your neighbor will be your banker?

My own thought is no, having grown up on the north shore and moved away, all I see in the north shore is a change of attitude to ultra snobbishness and self proclaimed better lifestyle.

Seems to me that the north shore lifestyle is less to do with being happy vs. keeping up with the Jones'......
Your whole premise for this argument is skewed. It would be stupid to sacrafice contributing to your 401k to buy a house you can't afford regardless of location.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:25 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Growing up on the North Shore is like being a Cuban refugee. Most cannot go back to living there. But regarding the trains. Those on the UP North look down on the North Central. But in fact the NCS has faster average speeds than UPN. Commuters even socialize. And it goes right to the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs