Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 02:59 PM

22 posts, read 74,795 times

Advertisements

What is real life experience on cell phone quality in the western burbs, north shore and downtown.

I'm relocating, and I currently use Verizon in Los Angeles, as it seems to have the best. Cingular is touch and go in various parts.

I know there either service won't be perfect, so I was just looking for a generalized answer for two scenarios:

Scenario A - Living in the North Shore, working downtown

Scenario B - Living in Hinsdale are, working downtown.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 03:01 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
Are you asking which scenario is better for cell phone service?!?!? Or just a general commute?

Old 07-14-2008, 03:09 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The entire Chicago region has about equal coverage in all the burbs from most the carriers. With US Cell headquartered here and Motorola as well there are lots of connected people that do a lot to drive service. Downtown gets five bars from pretty much all carriers. That said there are lots of areas in the nice burbs that could use more towers -- residents hate the sight of them. If enough folks complain about service the carriers will install towers in out of sight places, but these don't work as well the the big towers.

Overall ATT/ Cingular has more subscribers and is a bit more likely to add towers than Verizon.

There are small but notorious cellular "black holes" from just about every carrier in every town.

The best advice is to see how your exact house is for coverage directly or at least ask the neighbors before switching.

Downtown is about as saturated as can be.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:13 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
US Cellular has excellent service and customer service. They don't always have the latest hand-sets, but traveling all around Illinois & N. Indiana there are very few dead zones. I almost never experience dead zones or dropped calls in Chi-land area.
Service worked well in TX and Canada as well. E-mail service is reliable as well on the crackberry.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 PM

939 posts, read 2,379,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
US Cellular has excellent service and customer service. They don't always have the latest hand-sets, but traveling all around Illinois & N. Indiana there are very few dead zones. I almost never experience dead zones or dropped calls in Chi-land area.
Service worked well in TX and Canada as well. E-mail service is reliable as well on the crackberry.
I agree. I'm on the North Shore. In the past several years I've had Sprint, T-Mobile and US Cellular. US Cellular has been the best for me, T Mobile was the worst (in terms of dropped calls). I also like US Cellular because its WI coverage is good.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 PM

313 posts, read 596,338 times
ATT's 3/3.5g coverage is pretty good in the region now, from what I've observed. Verizon (isn't it?) has exclusive coverage in the subways

Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,006 times
Default cell phones in hinsdale

Drive through town and you will see people on their porches and in their driveways trying to get a signal. We have Cingular ATT and cannot use our phones in the house.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
I live in the city now and use to live in the burbs and Ive had the best luck with Sprint. My girlfirend has at&t and she can not get service in our apartment and I can. Just my .02 Alot of carriers offer a 30 day "trial"

Old 08-19-2008, 04:35 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,369 times
I've never had a problem with Verizon here, and I often get a signal in places people on other carriers don't (basements, etc.).

Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 PM

92 posts, read 445,654 times
I vouch for Verizon. I've only used Verizon for as long as I've had a cell phone, and never had any real problems with service. I've been all over the Chicagoland area, and most places I can use my phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs