Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:07 PM

16 posts, read 63,339 times

Advertisements

I hate Chicago. Lived here all my life. We've been trying to get out of here for nearly 10 years and it looks like it's going to finally happen in the spring!

I hate the cold. That's my biggest gripe. I hate being cold. I hate that I have to work (when we move, I get to quit). I hate the cost of living here.

There is a lot to do here, even in the 'burbs, which is really nice and about the only plus about this area, IMO. That I will miss when we move. But I still can't wait to move!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times
I laugh my a$$ of when I read posts like the one above. "Its cold, it sucks here, theres nothing to do", etc. Its those people who come crawling back on their knees realizing what they left behind. Sooner or later, like most before them, theyll realize thier mistake.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,554,680 times
Well, to be fair, moonhoney said she liked that there's a lot to do and will miss that. I think you misread that part of her post, Steve-O. And I can understand hating the cold ... I hate the heat, frankly. We had the opportunity to move to the Phoenix area, but I said no because I knew how much I would dislike living in the desert. I prefer the cold because I can just put on more clothes.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:11 AM

65 posts, read 223,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Well, to be fair, moonhoney said she liked that there's a lot to do and will miss that. I think you misread that part of her post, Steve-O. And I can understand hating the cold ... I hate the heat, frankly. We had the opportunity to move to the Phoenix area, but I said no because I knew how much I would dislike living in the desert. I prefer the cold because I can just put on more clothes.
THANK YOU! I've been telling people that for years. If it's cold & you have no heat, you can put on every stitch of clothing you own, every blanket, huddle with other people, you WILL eventually get warm (and I'm being extreme here). However, if it's stinkin' hot (and I lived in Fla. for 11 years & been in Houston a total of 21 years, so I'm familiar with Heat) and you don't have A/C or a fan, you can take off every stitch of clothing & you're still going to be HOT!

I will admit I don't miss walking outside & having my nostrils freeze shut. Southerners always think I'm exaggerating when I mention that.

Seriously, there are plusses & minuses to anywhere you live. Just decide which you have more of & whether you can live with them.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I read that, thanks. I didnt quote her directly, just people in "general". Ive seen it happen a quintillion times. You know, "its too cold in Chicago" and yada, yada, yada. They move to places like FL, AZ, NV, etc, then a few years later theyre clawing at the walls to get out of those places. Some stay and actually love it, but soooo many others get to their new "paradise" just to scratch their heads after a few years and say to themselves "WTF?"

Old 11-24-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegs56 View Post
I will admit I don't miss walking outside & having my nostrils freeze shut. Southerners always think I'm exaggerating when I mention that.
That happens, what, maybe 10 nights a year? Ill live with the few sub-arctic nights over 4-6 months of brutal heat. I call that kind of heat "cruel and unusual punishment".

Old 11-24-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
That happens, what, maybe 10 nights a year? Ill live with the few sub-arctic nights over 4-6 months of brutal heat. I call that kind of heat "cruel and unusual punishment".
No argument from me!!! I HATE hot weather with 27 purple passions. So, what have I been doing in hot climes for so long? Mostly circumstance & life events. Now it's finances. However, I never stop planning for the day when I really, truly, no kidding leave the South for good. I thought that happened the day I crossed the Fla./Ga. state line back in 1980, on my way back to Chicagoland. However, the above happened, & I ended up in Houston for a few years (family had moved here). Moved back to Chi in '84, for what I thought was the final time, but had to move back here in '90 (family emergency).

I've never stopped saying I want to go home, or quit whining about the heat. I even bought a pair of Ruby Slippers, but they didn't work. Clicking the heels together just made some of the glitter fall off.

Another thing I greatly miss is being in The Land Of Public Transportation! Just sketchy bus service here (and none where I live) & the closest thing to a train is the "light rail" put in several years ago, that goes from The Galleria (sure, people with the $$$ to shop there take mass transit) to The Astrodome (which has been vacant for several years). Of course, this IS oil country, so I guess it isn't that big of a surprise. On the plus side, gas was down to $1.56 gal. yesterday. I can finally afford to fill up my tank again.

But, I'd still rather be in Northern Illinois.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,783,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegs56 View Post
Another thing I greatly miss is being in The Land Of Public Transportation! Just sketchy bus service here (and none where I live) & the closest thing to a train is the "light rail" put in several years ago, that goes from The Galleria (sure, people with the $$$ to shop there take mass transit) to The Astrodome (which has been vacant for several years).
Light rail goes from South Fannin near the Astrodome and Reliant Center complex (which is in use) up through the Medical Center (which is the largest medical district in the world), museum district (which is quite extensive), midtown, to the downtown central business district and theatre district. It does not go through the Galleria. I know because I used it all the time to go to work when I was at the Medical Center.

Maybe if you explored Houston more you'd like it better!

Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 AM

Let's see...

I've lived here a total of 21 years. I've lived in Spring Branch, Inwood Forest, Fairbanks North Houston, Cypress Station & now out by Cypress (although the Post Office calls us Houston). I've worked by the Galleria, in The Heights & out on CityWest Blvd. In all those areas & over all these years, why would you think I haven't explored Houston? Why do you think I don't like Houston? I made no such statement regarding either of the above.

I DID say I don't like hot weather (didn't like it in Fla., either) & that I miss having a Public Transportation System. If you had ever lived where it was available, you'd know what I mean. I lived in Algonquin, Il., which is about 45/50 miles NW of Chicago. I could walk a block & catch a bus. I could take the bus to various towns or up to the train station in Crystal Lake (4-5 miles). I could take the train into the city & from there catch another bus or the El & go anywhere I wanted in the city. No car needed. Here, the closest bus service to me is the Park & Ride by 290 & West Rd./Eldrige (by Sam's Club). That's about 3 miles from me & while I enjoy a good walk, that's just a bit much for me in some weathers.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:48 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,767,817 times
Worst place I ever lived was south carolina in the summer during my AIT training. Made even Elgin seem like it just might be heavan. I would have given a kidney for a vienna beef.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs