Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,131,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
What is so horrible about not liking Naperville?
Who cares?
You can not like the town, but calling Napervillans "stuck up snobs" or "pretentious" is a very unfair stereotype. Most Napervillans are down-to-earth and level-headed. To paint the whole town after some rich pricks is unfair. I lived in Naperville and was blue collar as blue collar can get and drove a rusted out Toyota. Im the furthest thing from a pretentious, stuck up snob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 12:33 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,049,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You can not like the town, but calling Napervillans "stuck up snobs" or "pretentious" is a very unfair stereotype. Most Napervillans are down-to-earth and level-headed. To paint the whole town after some rich pricks is unfair. I lived in Naperville and was blue collar as blue collar can get and drove a rusted out Toyota. Im the furthest thing from a pretentious, stuck up snob.
well, to some people "pretentious" means you once entered a starbucks. They are entitled to that view.

Naperville is objectively very nice. I will say that it's not for me, but I would never say that it isn't an excellent town.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
well, to some people "pretentious" means you once entered a starbucks. They are entitled to that view.
They sure are, but that doesnt mean its kosher to stereotype an entire city and its residents.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:10 PM

945 posts, read 1,981,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Yay! Another another Naperville hater on this site! Just what we need!

Get lost.
Steve,

I don't think it's that people hate Naperville, or those that live there. I know I don't, even though I've been accused of it in past, on this forum. I think it's more that fact that the ego's are overinflated of some, if not many, who live there, under some false sense that it's "the best, most prestigeous place to live". You have lived long in that area, enough to know that there are far nicer suburbs of Chicago, in the western suburbs as well, and it just gets tiring to listen to many who think that Naperville somehow far superior of a town to live in. It's very delusional, at best, and the truth is, the ones that defend it the most are the most in denial of what else this wonderful Chicago land has to offer. I won't even plugg my own community this time. Not worth it.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmarketvalue View Post
I think it's more that fact that the ego's are overinflated of some
Key word: "some".

Id agree that there are many people in Naperville who might be smug, no doubt. But its no different than those who live in Northbrook, Oak Park, Hinsdale, Lake Forest, Winnetka, etc. You see, Napervillans are proud of their town, and rightly so. Theyve worked hard to make it what it is, and they wear it proudly on their sleeves. Dont confuse civic pride with pretentiousness, because even though there is good money in many parts of Naperville, there are many parts that are solid lower middle class. Any level-headed Napervillan knows that there are faaaaar wealthier towns then theirs. Do they care? Probably not, they have a special city and its recognized for being so. Of the snottiest towns Ive been in around this country, Naperville is not even close to the top 20. In fact, if you want pure snobbery in some areas, head dead East on Ogden to Hinsdale. Youll find plenty of snobs there indeed. But would I ever call the entire city of Hinsdale snobbish? No, there are, just like everywhere else, snobs and non-snobs. Get it?

Old 08-03-2009, 01:00 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,554,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingWong View Post
Naperville looks nothing like it did in 1959....none of it.
I'd invite you to my neighborhood, but the rest of your post sounds like you wouldn't really enjoy yourself. But just so you know, my house was built in the late 50s, and we bought it from a lovely couple who had lived there for 30 years. The couple behind us, and another two doors down, are original owners. Our next-door neighboor has lived in her house for over 40 years, having grown up there and inheriting the place from her parents. There is not one McMansion on our streets, and everyone we have met has been friendly and welcoming. My guess is that surly and suspicious people find what they are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs