Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:13 PM

16 posts, read 78,640 times

Advertisements

hi
i am planning on getting a house in fox lake IL . My work is going to be in chicago. Can i rely on the metra system??? when i say the metra system i mean the whole lines. i am moving from Massachusetts to Illinois.
thanks
bp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 07:46 AM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,209 times
Metra is very reliable, don't worry about it at all.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:22 AM

oh that is good to know..thanks..
bp

Old 05-13-2007, 06:39 PM

58 posts, read 252,441 times
fox lake metra is very reliable too, i use it frequently when i go downtown from my parents house in johnsburg (a village right near fox lake) will your kids be going to Grant school or Johnsburg, because the district lines are drawn funny.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:21 PM

how does the metra works in winter??? i mean with the snow and everything is always a delay ??? so fox lake line is reliable??
thanks
bp

Old 05-14-2007, 04:47 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,619,209 times
On real bad snow days (ie 6 inches or more) there may be some delays. real cold days (5-10 below) can cause problems rarely as well. But the trains will still run, everyone just has to deal with the delays. you'll be laughing at the people driving 3 hours to get home in the snow, believe me.

seriously, do not worry about the metra, it runs very well.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:21 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,834 times
the metra is very, very reliable!! they are more reliable than people who are usually late and running to catch the train. the train WILL leave without you

trust me, many a day I was driving way to fast trying to catch the train at the next station.

and by the way, I took the fox lake line too, but usually get on in either long lake or round lake. Good thing about the fox lake line...you have a choice of stations in this area that are fairly close to each other.

I have lived in other areas and been very surprised by the un-reliability of trains.

this area is nothing like that. Metra is not subject to delays like amtrak (and some of the other commuter trains I have heard of)

the only delays I have ever really experienced had to do with -- sadly -- people laying on the tracks (usually drunks) or accidents with cars at crossings.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:16 AM

3 posts, read 12,667 times
Default I need help in this area too!

Hello everyone!

Glad I found this hopefully someone can help me find out the correct information!

My husband works around the 3500 w block of 36th st in Chicago.

We are thinking on moving to Fox Lake.

Can any of you guide me as to what line he would take and so on? Or where I can find this information out?

I have found he can commute from fox lake to union station with no problems. But is there a way to get closer to his work?

And if anyone can tell me a bit about Fox lake and the school districts that would be great!

Blessings

Lori

Old 08-08-2008, 03:18 PM

56 posts, read 214,763 times
Metra's Milwaukee District-North line is the one that goes to Fox Lake. It goes to Union Station in Chicago.
Metra / Milwaukee District North Line Information

I don't know much about Fox Lake; from what I've heard, it's a middle-class mix of old houses and new construction along the outskirts. Have you been there? What kind of community are you looking for? Fox Lake is kind of remote by Chicago area standards. You know, if your husband is working in Chicago, maybe you want to consider some of the communities a little closer to Chicago. Buffalo Grove (Lake Co.) and Deerfield are both known for great public school systems. Grayslake and Libertyville are also nice, maybe someone else can comment on their schools; I can't imagine they're inferior to Fox Lake. If you can provide some more information on what kind of community/house/price you're looking for, we can provide more advice.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-08-2008, 07:28 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lekrtk00 View Post
Hello everyone!

Glad I found this hopefully someone can help me find out the correct information!

My husband works around the 3500 w block of 36th st in Chicago.

We are thinking on moving to Fox Lake.

Can any of you guide me as to what line he would take and so on? Or where I can find this information out?

I have found he can commute from fox lake to union station with no problems. But is there a way to get closer to his work?

And if anyone can tell me a bit about Fox lake and the school districts that would be great!

Blessings

Lori
Is this some manufacturing plant off the Stevenson?

To get there via public transit he'd have to take an hour train in from fox lake, walk a few blocks to the Clinton Blue Line stop. Take that for 10 minutes to Kedzie. Wait around in a not-so-great neighborhood for the #52 bus. Then that will probably take another 15 minutes or so to arrive at 36th st. Then walk a few blocks west to finally arrive at work.

Driving to this location from Fox Lake will be 2 hours or so, so that's not really an alternative either.

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't think Fox Lake is a realistic location to be commuting from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs