Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times

Advertisements

Racism are you serious? Yorktown is highly overcrowded with cars and no one is taking the bus to get to the mall so they took it out of the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 02:38 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Plenty of people take the bus to get there. I have seen them with my own eyes.

Pace was shocked by the decision, so that oughta tell you something.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:37 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Plenty of people take the bus to get there. I have seen them with my own eyes.

Pace was shocked by the decision, so that oughta tell you something.
Yeah it tells me something all right. It tells me some things in Chicago haven't changed. I've been to many cities around the country where even the poorest neighborhoods have access to stores other than those of the liquor variety within a 3 mile radius. This is still not the case in Chicago. Another latent effect of this that is rarely mentioned is the fact a large amount of educated African-Americans leave Chicago. Gee, I wonder why?

Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yeah it tells me something all right. It tells me some things in Chicago haven't changed. I've been to many cities around the country where even the poorest neighborhoods have access to stores other than those of the liquor variety within a 3 mile radius. This is still not the case in Chicago. Another latent effect of this that is rarely mentioned is the fact a large amount of educated African-Americans leave Chicago. Gee, I wonder why?
Uhhh the Pace route and mall mentioned are in the suburbs not in the city.

If you mean to say the Chicago area say the Chicago area. Only use Chicago when you are speaking of the city itself.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
I work in the area (I drive). I pass Yorktown every day. Not everyone that takes the bus to the mall are customers. Some are employees of stores within the mall. I think that this decision is lame and should be reversed. Walking along Butterfield Road, that does not have sidewalks is more dangerous than allowing buses into the Yorktown Mall lot. Plus the lot is huge and there is ample room by JC Penney's to allow for buses. How stupid to make it more difficult for shoppers and employees who don't drive to get to the mall. Unless retail stores in the mall want to start paying $13.00 an hour, they should protest against the mall management and RTA for this policy to change.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:24 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Uhhh the Pace route and mall mentioned are in the suburbs not in the city.

If you mean to say the Chicago area say the Chicago area. Only use Chicago when you are speaking of the city itself.
Why? When people from the Chicago area travel they always say they are from "Chicago". And that's whether they are from Chicago, New Lenox or even Racine.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:28 PM

1,083 posts, read 3,723,507 times
But you are not traveling now.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,446 times
The elderly and disabled were forced to walk onto butterfield rd is all types of weather which was dangerous and there are people who are unable to get to and from locations because of those changes in the mall. the fact is they within the Mall did not want the poorer classes within the mall area there has been a lot of harrassment of folks that don't seem to belong there it is racism and discrimination against the elderly, disabled and poor. No other mall does that look at Riverside, Schaumbug Malls they have common sense they want buyers not even in Oakbrook have they done this. It's outrageous and they are planning to start it up again from what I heard.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danna48 View Post
The elderly and disabled were forced to walk onto butterfield rd is all types of weather which was dangerous and there are people who are unable to get to and from locations because of those changes in the mall. the fact is they within the Mall did not want the poorer classes within the mall area there has been a lot of harrassment of folks that don't seem to belong there it is racism and discrimination against the elderly, disabled and poor. No other mall does that look at Riverside, Schaumbug Malls they have common sense they want buyers not even in Oakbrook have they done this. It's outrageous and they are planning to start it up again from what I heard.
And look at Northriverside mall now- it feels like walking through the west side of Chicago ghetto. Nice.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:22 PM

274 posts, read 708,889 times
I've seen this before at River Oaks Mall. The bus stops at Target so if you were trying to get to the mall, you would have to cross Ring Rd then walk across the large River Oaks West big box center parking lot. After that you have to find a traffic light and wait your turn to cross Torrance Ave. FINALLY you have to walk across another LARGE parking lot for the mall doors or Macy*s/ Carson Pirie Scott/ JCPenny. All in all about a 15-20min walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs