Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:21 PM

34 posts, read 45,199 times

Advertisements

Where can I find a conservative Illinois suburb, in either Dupage or Cook county, that offers good public schools, a city-like feel and very little liberalism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 10:15 PM

223 posts, read 757,590 times
A suburb that comes to my mind is Riverside. It is conservative (Judy Baar Topinka's hometown) and its school district has decent scores. Riverside itself is not very urban, but it is very close to the city (and next-door Berwyn is more city-like)

Sun-Times News Group (http://www.suntimes.com/pcds/html/schools/2007/cache/RIVERSIDEBROOKFIELDTWPHIGHRIVERSIDE-BROOKFIELDTWPSD208.html - broken link)

Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 AM

298 posts, read 579,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concerned resident View Post
Where can I find a conservative Illinois suburb, in either Dupage or Cook county, that offers good public schools, a city-like feel and very little liberalism?
Wheaton comes to mind. DuPage Co. more conservative generally, though that has changed over the years. Given this is Chicagoland, most places w/ any city like feel will have a mix.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:51 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,118 times
I would agree that Wheaton may be the spot for you, especially the north side.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
According to another poster looking for a "liberal suburb", they were chastised for having Al Gore signs in Barrington. If you would like to chastise people for having Barack Obama signs, perhaps Barrington is for you.

BTW, I don't think that Riverside is that conservative (resistance to the Cook County Stroger regime isn't conservative, it's just intelligent). DuPage, Will and Kendall County burbs are probably a safer bet if you want to find a large cadre of Rush Limbaugh ditto-heads. Though Dennis Hastert's conservative bastion of Plano is supposedly even becoming more Democratic... It's hard to find a suburb that doesn't have a wide range of people and beliefs these days.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:40 AM

142 posts, read 427,249 times
Quite a few of the nicer SW burbs are conservative (yes, there are actually suburbs south of 55, shocking isn't it?). Tinley, Orland, Palos Park/Heights. None of these have a city-like feel in my opinion, but there are great schools and very few liberals. Not sure if a conservative burb with a city-like feel exists. I would not consider Wheaton to be urban at all.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT83 View Post
Quite a few of the nicer SW burbs are conservative (yes, there are actually suburbs south of 55, shocking isn't it?). Tinley, Orland, Palos Park/Heights. None of these have a city-like feel in my opinion, but there are great schools and very few liberals. Not sure if a conservative burb with a city-like feel exists. I would not consider Wheaton to be urban at all.
Yeah, the most "urban" suburbs are pretty solidly liberal. Or at least moderate Democrat-leaning.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
According to another poster looking for a "liberal suburb", they were chastised for having Al Gore signs in Barrington. If you would like to chastise people for having Barack Obama signs, perhaps Barrington is for you.

That was one person who said that, there are a hell of alot of Obama signs in Barrington, havent heard of any vandalism,protests or angry mobs over it.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Id think Wheaton would probably be the best bet, very conservative, with some Democraps mixed in, but everyone seems to get along juuuuust fine.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:56 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,509,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJT83 View Post
I realize this is a very touchy subject, but yes def. many of the south burbs are about as conservative republican as you can get. (BAAARRRFF.. Im totally not conservative) Anyways, if thats your thing then check out my town I'm currently living in as its as white as "wonder bread" (Again excuse me as I go barf) Orland and Tinley are pretty much all white, middle to upper class, republican, who's residents seem to be most worried about who's lawn is greener and the fact that the Joneses next door got a new car so they will now have to go out and buy a better one. Kids in Orland and Palos Park both seem to come off as being extremely high and mighty, but yes they do receive a top of the line education in the area's schools and are no dummies. Both towns are very safe which is a plus, but again if you are looking for a more liberal "shoot from the hip" atmosphere; Orland and Tinley are NOT for you.

Don't get me wrong if this all is your cup of tea, of wanting an area pretty much all white, upper to middle class, with it being mostly Christian, pro life, VERY ANTI GAY, pro Bush, and also yes sadly enough rather anti diversification, then Orland, Tinley, Oak Forest, Palos Heights, Park, Hills, Oak Lawn, Evergreen Park, Frankfort, Mokena, and New Lenox are for you.

Its funny the other day I saw a Obama sign in front of my neighbor's house when I got home from work ( I was kinda shocked to see that in Orland), and by the morning that sign was shredded into about a million pieces and thrown all over their lawn. Mc Cain's signs through the neighborhood are still in tact though. lol (some people's kids)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs