Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:27 PM

284 posts, read 696,153 times

Advertisements

The post title says it all what is wrong with west chicago i never here anyone mention it there is really nice parts of this suburb town i grew up here and turned out good. I don't know i love this town just wondering why people stay away

Old 08-06-2008, 11:16 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
Because in the Chicago area, white people don't like it when Mexicans take over their town. There, I said it. Nice little pizza places turned into taquerias. And people *gasp* spoke a different language! Personally, I think the town is great. It most certainly gets a bum rap. Especially from snooty towns like Naperville.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 PM

i have to agree with the mexicans it isnt that nice that ur little sis has to be shipped halfway across town cause she does not want to be in a dual language program

Old 08-07-2008, 08:48 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Because in the Chicago area, white people don't like it when Mexicans take over their town. There, I said it. Nice little pizza places turned into taquerias. And people *gasp* spoke a different language! Personally, I think the town is great. It most certainly gets a bum rap. Especially from snooty towns like Naperville.
Its not that we get pissed that Mexicans move in, its the troublemakers who cause all the sh**, and it hit West Chicago pretty hard, with the gangs and all. It got pretty bad for a few years, and seemingly out of nowhere. Latin Kings, SDs, 13s, MLDs, GDs, etc, just popped up out of nowhere and started shooting each other up. It wasnt something we were used to way out here in the burbs, in a tiny little town.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:01 AM

223 posts, read 757,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Its not that we get pissed that Mexicans move in,
Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
its the troublemakers who cause all the sh**, and it hit West Chicago pretty hard
Proof? Numbers?
Violent Crime Indexes for some nearby cities (lower is better)

Violent Crime Index: 10
Crime Statistics for Geneva, Chicago, IL - REALTOR.com

Violent Crime Index: 13
Crime Statistics for West Chicago, Chicago, IL - REALTOR.com

Violent Crime Index: 15
Crime Statistics for Batavia, Chicago, IL - REALTOR.com

Violent Crime Index: 16
Crime Statistics for Naperville, Chicago, IL - REALTOR.com

Old 08-07-2008, 11:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandre View Post
Are you sure?

Proof? Numbers?
Violent Crime Indexes for some nearby cities (lower is better)

Violent Crime Index: 10
Crime Statistics for Geneva, Chicago, IL - REALTOR.com

Violent Crime Index: 13
Crime Statistics for West Chicago, Chicago, IL - REALTOR.com

Violent Crime Index: 15
Crime Statistics for Batavia, Chicago, IL - REALTOR.com

Violent Crime Index: 16
Crime Statistics for Naperville, Chicago, IL - REALTOR.com
Yes, Im sure, thank you very much. Hispanics and Caucasians have existed peacefully there for dozens of years. Some Hispanic families are in their 4th and 5th generations in the town. Its not like they just appeared out of nowhere. Sheesh. West Chicago probably has some of the longest standing Hispanic presence in all of Chicagoland. Even to this day I dont see any problems with coexistance.

And why dont you look back at the early-to-mid 1990s, when gangs ran rampant and crime skyrocketed. It wasnt until after the city formed a doggone gang task force that things calmed down. A tiny town of (at the time) 12K people that were experiencing murders and frequent drive-by shootings oughta speak some truth.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:20 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,347,608 times
West chicago has been a mexican enclave for decades now. No problems. But you all say recently the gangs have moved in, and this is a nationwide problem. Gangs suck.

I do know, where I used to work in west chicago, we had real bad problems with the power outages.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 19,808 times
I grew up in West Chicago. But, I would never consider buying property out there--especially considering this railroad acquisition deal they're working on. In fact, I would choose to live in Aurora over West Chicago any day--but in part because I work in Aurora--so, easy commute.

Last edited by yolebeast; 08-12-2008 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-12-2008, 03:36 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,287 times
Yeah, West Chicago doesn't have to much going for it in my opinion. This past year, we have had FAR too many dealings with real estate agents up there, and each and everyone has STRONGLY discouraged us from looking into the West Chicago market. In high turnover real estate areas like western Chicagoland, towns like West Chicago just simply will not get you the eventual return you might be looking for. With actual suburban gems like St. Charles and Geneva literally right next door it only makes the city look worse. Kinda the same issue with Oswego vs Aurora, or Plainfield vs Joliet. If given the opportunity, you have to ask yourself, as a whole where would you really want to live. West Chicago is also sprawled out to its borders, so don't look for things to improve anytime soon. Batavia isn't really that much better either. We all know that Elgin and Joliet are sprawling out today, like Aurora and Naperville did ten years ago. So you can say that there are "nice" and "newer" parts to any city up there. But I don't think it speaks highly for these areas, when you have to go to the outskirts of the city limits just for the word "new" to be implied the same way as the terms safe, good schools, etc. This is not the case in more upscale places like Downers Grove and Elmhurst. Unfortunely, as a whole, West Chicago just can't say this, and like I mentioned before, since it can't grow anymore, look for it to slowly go down hill.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUalumni View Post
Yeah, West Chicago doesn't have to much going for it in my opinion. This past year, we have had FAR too many dealings with real estate agents up there, and each and everyone has STRONGLY discouraged us from looking into the West Chicago market. In high turnover real estate areas like western Chicagoland, towns like West Chicago just simply will not get you the eventual return you might be looking for. With actual suburban gems like St. Charles and Geneva literally right next door it only makes the city look worse. Kinda the same issue with Oswego vs Aurora, or Plainfield vs Joliet. If given the opportunity, you have to ask yourself, as a whole where would you really want to live. West Chicago is also sprawled out to its borders, so don't look for things to improve anytime soon. Batavia isn't really that much better either. We all know that Elgin and Joliet are sprawling out today, like Aurora and Naperville did ten years ago. So you can say that there are "nice" and "newer" parts to any city up there. But I don't think it speaks highly for these areas, when you have to go to the outskirts of the city limits just for the word "new" to be implied the same way as the terms safe, good schools, etc. This is not the case in more upscale places like Downers Grove and Elmhurst. Unfortunely, as a whole, West Chicago just can't say this, and like I mentioned before, since it can't grow anymore, look for it to slowly go down hill.
Actually I think west chicago is the only city in dupage that can grow we have so much opened land,
Talk about upscale housing go to st Andrews estates on the north end of town it is amazing and i thought i was in a town like hinsdale or something the houses are huge i think the town is comming along well and will continue to grow and we will see another great western burbs were people will be posting on here if they should move here or not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs