U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 10:54 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,867,922 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how many people out there attend farmer's markets in the western suburbs? If so, what do you look for? If not, is there a reason you haven't been? We have one here in Sugar Grove and are trying to get a pulse on farmer's market shoppers and why people don't shop them.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 11:09 AM

20,005 posts, read 71,968,476 times
Never been to one myself. No real need to go.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:54 PM

610 posts, read 2,537,398 times
We have two farmer's markets in my area that I attend regularly. There is one on Wednesdays and another on Saturday. The Saturday market is 5x the size. I LOVE the fresh produce and knowing that I'm helping out the local growers. I tend to purchase fruits, veggies, bread, organic dog treats, and anything sweet
I attended the Sugar Grove market when I lived out that way. The market was in its infancy and it showed. There were only about 4 people there selling things. The egg lady, a soy candle lady, the Homemade Gourmet lady and someone selling veggies. I'm sure it has expanded in the years I've been gone. When I lived out there I bought my corn from the guy up the street who sold along Bliss Rd. I didn't make it to the farmers market much because I had to drive there (it was at the school at the time) and was just not convenient. I attend my market now because I can ride my bike there, take the dog for a walk there and hang out in town afterward. I would think the SG market might do better in the parking lot of the new Jewel (maybe it is already there) where you might get people who run into Jewel for the "other things" and get their market stuff on the way out. I also found that the only advertising was the banner at the intersection of 47 and Galena. For those of us that were off Bliss and headed the other way to Main St. Batavia, we never saw the banner and many of my neighbors had no idea it was there. Maybe you should join forces with the "corn guy" on Bliss Road, he always did well although he brought most of his stuff from his Elburn farm. LOVED his corn.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:56 PM

38 posts, read 107,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
Just wondering how many people out there attend farmer's markets in the western suburbs? If so, what do you look for? If not, is there a reason you haven't been? We have one here in Sugar Grove and are trying to get a pulse on farmer's market shoppers and why people don't shop them.
I suspect the cost of driving to a "maybe" is greater than the cost of driving to a known quantity. The prices at these markets are really quite high, and the quality is variable. Sometimes the produce is great, equally often it is the same as the grocery.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:49 PM

39 posts, read 132,813 times
Default have you checked out CSAs?

We would shop at a farmers' market, but found an even better option: a subscription to a CSA.

You probably know about these: community supported agriculture. I.e. a local farm supplies a weekly delivery of (in our case, organic) produce to our neighborhood.

We use Genesis Growers and are completely thrilled with them. Supplies almost all of the veggies we eat. Here's their link at local harvest with contact info: Genesis Growers - LocalHarvest

You can also go to localharvest.org where you can type in your location and find places nearby.

Old 08-16-2008, 08:56 PM

I completely agree with the cost of driving and the "maybe" quality. I can walk or ride my bike to both of my markets so it works for me. I was there today and the cost of the fruit was about the same as the grocery and I would prefer to help out a small grower. Some of the produce was a bit higher in price today, not sure why, but I did get a huge eggplant for a buck.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:54 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,867,922 times
we had just over 300 people come to the sugar grove market on saturday. I purchased the biggest musk melon I have ever seen for $3.50! it was perfect. I also purchased fresh beets for $2.50, new red potatoes,also $2.50 and the best mini cukes for $2.50. We also have a caterer here in sugar grove that participates in the market each week and she has the best oatmeal cookie I have ever eaten. it is oatmeal, raisin, walnut, and cranberry..moist, tasty, not too sweet. depending on size, they are either one dollar or $1.50.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:12 AM

Sounds like the SG market has really grown in the past few years, glad to hear it! Like BicycleGuy said, I also know a lot of people who use the serive he describes. The one most people use in my community is Timber Creek. They deliver on Mondays and you get a hodge podge of whatever they have. I personally don't use them simply because I like to select what I eat and I'm not too creative when it comes to cooking with veggies I've never heard of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs