Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:43 AM

82 posts, read 394,480 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend an area for hiking and/or a nice woodsy area for a good long stroll...preferably on an un-paved path that is not overly populated with rollerbladders, babystrollers, etc., in Lake or Cook county.

Forest Preserves and/or State Parks would be good.

Is there anything out by Barrington or north towards Wiscosin?

We're coming from Evanston so could drive for an hour without getting too aggravated.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 06:32 AM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Wherever you go, follow the rules. Forest police Nazi's are everywhere and have nothing better to do but hassle people and collect fines.

In Cook county, parks close at "Sundown." Anyone know the definition of sundown?

I came back to my care at 7:51 last Friday and was ticketed $25 for being in the park past sundown - Apparently sundown on that day was at 7:40.

What a load of crap. Chicagoland has way too many rules and regulations.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:07 AM

694 posts, read 2,016,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Hi there,

Can anyone recommend an area for hiking and/or a nice woodsy area for a good long stroll...preferably on an un-paved path that is not overly populated with rollerbladders, babystrollers, etc., in Lake or Cook county.

Forest Preserves and/or State Parks would be good.

Is there anything out by Barrington or north towards Wiscosin?

We're coming from Evanston so could drive for an hour without getting too aggravated.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Ryerson Woods in Riverwoods is great, also Van Patten Woods in Wadsworth off U.S 41. Independence Grove in Libertyville is great but not very woodsy

Old 08-25-2008, 09:34 AM

Awesome; I'll look them both up! Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 08-25-2008, 02:52 PM

150 posts, read 457,762 times
Default Starved Rock (Utica, IL)

Check this out, excellent for hiking. Might be a bit far from you and hour or so but very nice place.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:13 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Morraine Hills State Park near McHenry.
Moraine Hills State Park, an Illinois State Park near Antioch, Arlington Height, Barrington, Bedford Park, Buffalo Grove

Old 08-25-2008, 03:16 PM

62 posts, read 224,769 times
For when you don't want to drive far but want to find yourself in the midst of beautiful woods: The Grove in Glenview.
Glenview Park District - The Grove National Historic Landmark
I've been mostly on weekdays, so can't say how busy it gets on the weekend. My family and I really enjoy walking on the paths and looking for wildlife.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:21 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Yes, Starved Rock in Utica is beautiful but it is about 3 hours or longer...too long for a day trip. Worth the drive though for the weekend.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 AM

150 posts, read 457,762 times
Smile Frankfort, IL

Flatlander,
If you ar looking for a biking/walking trail that is paved you may want to check out the trail in Frankfort, Il. It is an old train track path they turned into a paved trail. If i am not mistaking this trail joins to Joliet out to Starved Rock. This trail was suppose OR is, part of that bike path that was suppose to start downtown, go to Galena, then circle back round to Chicago. The path around New Lenox, Frankfort, and Mokena is beautiful. They left alot of the woods besides the trail all natural and downtown Frankfort is next to the trail and there are restaurants, ice cream shops and entertainment going on occasionally (you'd have to check out a schedule). This is about 1 hour away from you with the new 355 extension. Hope that adds to your packet of info.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:53 PM

65 posts, read 224,374 times
My first reaction is to suggest Deer Grove Forest Preserve. It's between Palatine & Barrington, on Quentin Road between Lake-Cook & Dundee Road. Gorgeous place, we went there for picnics, drives & general outings at least twice a month (including winters, good ice skating). We hiked through the woods, raced each other down the tobaggon slides, drank water from the old fashioned pump, had softball games, all that good stuff.

Then I remembered I haven't been in the area for 18 years & it's been 20 years since I was last at Deer Grove. It may have changed a wee bit since then. On my last visit, it was around noon on a pleasant Autumn day. I parked by the ball field to enjoy the autumn colors & aromas, & then 2 limos parked a few spaces away from me. The occupants sat in each car for a few minutes, then one person got out & went into the other limo, then he & another got out & went into the first. Hmmmmm. Was it just some business folk enjoying the weather & the view, was it some drug dealers (I suppose they could be called business folk), or just coincidence? I don't know, but that was my last visit.

Anyone know if DG has become too dangerous to visit anymore? I hope not, because it was truly beautiful. I have some so-so pix, from an instamatic camera (on silk finish paper - yuk) taken in 1978 & some from a film SLR in 1985, which I can post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs