Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:14 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times

Advertisements

I sure hope you continue to post on these boards after you have moved so you can tell us how it is going for you and your family. Plus, I am really looking forward to your impression of Chicago's winter. it's devilish really because it is very difficult to drive in during the big storms that we usually get once or twice a month (where you have to keep the steering wheel turned slightly left just to stay on the road because the wind is so strong, driving on a coating of padded down snow/ice because it is snowing so fast that the plows can't keep the roads clear enough, giving way to very scary experiences when applying the brakes).

as for what suburbs would be best...i'd say stay out of Cook County all together. You know, higher crime rates, higher taxes, etc. I'd stay out of the southern suburbs too unless it was in Will County. I think the Western Suburbs would be your best bet. Good Luck and stay in touch with the board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Welcome.

But the notion that Chicago's winters are a long stretch of misery in a typical year is laughable. You will find a big percentage of the days from December through March where you will not only go about your business with no thought about the weather, but you will actually enjoy being outdoors.

This is true, however what happens is Old Man Winter likes to play games in Chicago. He'll give you 6 inches of snow only to have 45 degrees hit 3 days later. So while the temps may be nice, the ground is still saturated and like I often do in the winter when the temps permit, playing basketball or other outdoor activities will lead to a muddy experience.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:46 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technobarbie View Post
I personally went through this myself when I moved from Louisiana to Chicago. I wouldn't say misery - the blues is more like it. Someone who is used to living in a sub-tropical climate - where the sun shines year around - will be affected by Chicago's winters. For me the first year was exciting, but the second and third year were tough.
and that does make a lot of sense. It's not the issue of toughness that gets to me as much as the notion that we are all that different from the East Coast. If you listen to people in places like NYC, you'd think we were buried in 20 inches of snow at -40° wind chill all winter, while they're basking away at 50° and sunshine.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:09 PM

272 posts, read 484,552 times
Yeah, when I first moved to the Chicago area I remember thinking that 10 degrees didn't feel as cold as I thought it would feel. I was also surprised by how little it snowed. What happened this past winter in Chicago is more what I had in mind. I was also surprised how hot and humid Chicago can get. Not FL humid but still.

Another good thing about the area is that the weather changes all the time. If it's too cool outside, wait and it will change in a few days. Unlike JAX where the weather is pretty-much stagnant.

I also suggest to the OP if renting a house, make sure it has air conditioning. The first two houses my parents rented didn't even have a window unit. These houses were not that old either.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by technobarbie View Post
I was also surprised how hot and humid Chicago can get. Not FL humid but still
The best thing about that? It only lasts for a few days, then its gone, back to nice temps with low humidity levels. Cant beat it!

Old 08-29-2008, 06:33 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The best thing about that? It only lasts for a few days, then its gone, back to nice temps with low humidity levels. Cant beat it!
absolutely. we have few long heat waves; plus, we usually have plenty of breaks from the heat and humidity during the summer.

Lakefront temperatures can be downright sweater weather at times during the summer, particularly many evenings.

And for goodness sake, nobody should store their jackets and light wraps during the winter. There will be a number of times, even quite possibly in Jan or Feb where that jacket will be absolutely ideal for going out of the house.

I might be part polar bear (probably am), but truthfully there are Jan and Feb days when I leave the hosue wihtout any coat or jacket at all. And don't regret the choice.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:53 PM

6 posts, read 23,571 times
You may have some culture shock, I don't think it's possible to relocate and not experience some. However, if you immerse yourself in the culture you will adjust more quickly, as they say when in Rome. Try the different neighborhoods and the food, China Town, Greek Town, Little Italy and on the Near North Side there is a great little Scandinavian community with wonderful baked goods, etc. Chicago is a very accessible city, both by car and rail. It's also very easy to find your way around since most of the city and surrounding suburbs are set up in a grid system.

If you are looking for nice communities to raise a family my favorites are Naperville, Glen Ellen, Wheaton and Elmhurst, all are west of the city. They are all very family oriented, Naperville a little more so and all have easy rail access to the city. Both communities have good school systems. If you choose Elmhurst, Glen Ellen, or Wheaton try to get a home close to the Prairie Path, it's nice for biking, running or just a nice long walk. If you choose Naperville try to get a home closer to the heart of town, that's where all the activities happen and it's easier if you can walk to them vs. trying drive and park.

I suggest avoiding the Southern suburbs. As for the Northern suburbs most are nice but stay away from the O'Hare Airport area, the planes can be a bit much and the area can be spotty.

As for winters you will see snow, but it's not that bad because it's flat. Plus, most Midwest communities are very well prepared to handle the snow and ice, it's not like the South where everything shuts down. The part of winter I don't like is the long periods without sun, the overcast days seem to go on and on. If this bothers you just buy a light box, it works very well.

Lastly, I cannot stand the spring storms, tornadoes make me nervous. Unlike hurricanes, tornadoes don't come with much warning and sometimes none at all. Buy a house with a basement and get a good weather alert radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs