Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:36 PM

34 posts, read 44,730 times

Advertisements

Just spoke with a fed up parent at Oak park River Forest High School who claims that children from the west side of Chicago(primarily the Austin community) are attending O.P.R.F. high school. She stated that they are using Oak park addresses to attend the school. She states that she actually saw one child get off the Green Line from Chicago and when she asked the child where he was going, he stated that he was going to be late for O.P.R.F. high school. When she asked the child what his address was, he became nervous and stated that he lived in Chicago. She stated that Oak park liberals are aware that their tax dollars are going to West Side Children. She stated that they turn their heads the other way due to their disgusting, ultra liberal tendencies. Just wondering if all this is true. Would love to hear some feedback from Oak Park residents or members that know the truth regarding this disturbing matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 PM

990 posts, read 3,175,223 times
This is true of all schools near Chicago City Proper. Chances are the person has an aunt/uncle who has like an apartment in OPRF and this is the adress used for school.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:17 PM

298 posts, read 576,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concerned resident View Post
Just spoke with a fed up parent at Oak park River Forest High School who claims that children from the west side of Chicago(primarily the Austin community) are attending O.P.R.F. high school. She stated that they are using Oak park addresses to attend the school. She states that she actually saw one child get off the Green Line from Chicago and when she asked the child where he was going, he stated that he was going to be late for O.P.R.F. high school. When she asked the child what his address was, he became nervous and stated that he lived in Chicago. She stated that Oak park liberals are aware that their tax dollars are going to West Side Children. She stated that they turn their heads the other way due to their disgusting, ultra liberal tendencies. Just wondering if all this is true. Would love to hear some feedback from Oak Park residents or members that know the truth regarding this disturbing matter.
I often see large groups of kids getting on the green line after school. Where are they going? Not home. I don't know why the school doesn't do more to enforce things, though I agree there are relatives or friends who loan out their addresses.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,060,276 times
Families using loopholes to get their children into better schools - disgusting!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:24 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,629,116 times
They do try to root this out, but don't have the manpower or investigative prowess to stop it. They are not the FBI!

I was talking to someone recently who was enrolling in Kindergarten in D97 (Oak Park), and they were complaining about the harsh questioning and suspicion. I pointed out that they are trying to avoid enrolling kids from outside the district, and that they give everyone the ninth degree. They now require multiple ways to prove your address and ask you questions about living in Oak Park. But of course, I'm sure some savvy cheaters get through because the motivation to get your kids into a decent school is pretty high!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 PM

11,973 posts, read 31,629,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Families using loopholes to get their children into better schools - disgusting!
If you were paying the Oak Park property taxes with your own hard-earned cash, you might feel differently. Ouch.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:54 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
If you were paying the Oak Park property taxes with your own hard-earned cash, you might feel differently. Ouch.
If I were paying the property taxes, I'd expect some due diligence from the district on par with what appears they were doing. At the same time, I can't imagine expressing too much outrage that a few West Side families can find a way around this in order to get their children a superior education.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:15 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,605,319 times
LOL, did you just fall off the turnip truck? This happens all over the city/ inner burbs.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:32 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,344,991 times
Ha Ha...I did this to attend Riverside/Brookfield HS. My parents moved my sophomore year to "the other side of Broadview" (which is north of Cermack)- I was able to attend RBHS because the first 2 years of high school in lived in North Riverside. I wanted to graduate with my class, so rather than transfering to Proviso East I used my Aunt's address who also lived in North Riverside.

How is this any different than a college student who lives with family to avoid the "out of state" tuition cost?

Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 AM

863 posts, read 2,774,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
How is this any different than a college student who lives with family to avoid the "out of state" tuition cost?
It's different because these people are paying top dollar to keep their children away from "inner city" kids and their drugs, gangs, and baggy pants.

I can't get over the fact that the OP's friend had the nerve to actually approach one of these kids and inquire about his address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs