Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:01 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,510,206 times

Advertisements

Yes Western Springs would be a very wise choice. The homes all around there are breath taking for the Chicago area. Each one is unique in their own way and kept up to look almost like brand new. I would also say to look around Brookfield, La Grange, and Riverside if thats more what you are looking for (older homes). The area is very "Norman Rockwell" to put it best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 AM

33 posts, read 86,898 times
Once again...great knowledge and very helpful.
Thanks to all

(Just have to get used to sidewalks instead of paths and malls instead of shopping centres).

Also, im sure there are some famous European footballers palying for Chicago now so cant wait for that and I CANT WAIT to go see the Bulls play

Old 09-09-2008, 08:54 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
I truly think you'll be fine. Western Springs is not my forte, so I don't have much to add, but do read my post in your other thread and take it to heart. I believe it to be true.

And as fair Market Value added you MUST let us know how your progress goes and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:53 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen001 View Post
OK.
After doing some research, speaking to friends that are already working and living in the city, and really listening to what people have to say, it looks like Western Springs may be the place for us.

I havent seen too much about the place on here but it seems ideal.

Can anyone, for this case then, give me some insight into:
1. The schools in the area. What is recommended (or not).
2. The 'local taxes'? This is a little confusing as over here we have a 'council tax' which pays for things like rubbish removal and police etc. I suppose you have this kind of tax aswell and it varies from suburb to suburb so an insight into this would be useful.
3. Can anyone confirm that the train travel from Western Springs to 51st West (near Washington Park) is not too much of a trek? I have looked and it doesnt seem far (30mins ish) and the price looks reasonable for the fare. Confirmation would be appreciated though.
4. Tornadoes...this is a worry. How bad does it actually get? In the UK it getws a bit windy and natural disasters like this dont really effect us. Is it as bad as it sounds or blown out of proportion (excuse the pun )
5. Local wildlife. Once again, please excuse my ignorance, but do you have spiders/snakes etc that need to be looked out for? I know many places do but do these areas? (Dont laugh....my little girl is worried )
6. Most important. How are the local people at accepting people from another country? Im not trying to be rude but being 4K miles from home is tough enough. Being lonely would not be nice for me and my family. Im not a church goer but love my sport. (Who is the local soccer team BTW? Thats my first passion followed closely by basketball)

Thanks in advance......the information i am gaining here is invaluable.
Once again, I don't think you'll be taking the train from Western Springs. There isn't a train that takes you from the suburbs to anywhere along 51st st. Second, if it's near Washington Park, I'm guessing you'd be in Hyde Park/University of Chicago area, which is E. 51st st.

If this isn't the case, then you'd have to be more on the southwest side near Midway, because in between those areas there isn't a lot of commercial activity (and it's not one of the safest parts of town).

So if you choose Western Springs, you'd be taking a train that will take around 30 minutes to get you into Union Station. From there, you'd have to walk a few blocks and transfer either to a CTA bus, if you're heading to Hyde Park, or possibly an Orange line train, if you're going near midway.

So, door to door, your commute is more likely to be around an hour and a half each way, factoring in wait times, walking between transfers, and driving to the train station itself.

If you can put up with that, then Western Springs would be a nice fit. But if you're not ready for a commute like that, then you need to look elsewhere.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Thanks for your insight...its appreciated

So, the question is open again.
Where is the best place for us to live?

Me, my wife and 2 young children.
Looking for good schools ( youngest is 4 years old with Downs Syndrome) so Special Needs important.
Rental price is not an issue.

Need to move by February 09

Thanks in advance

Old 09-12-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your insight...its appreciated

So, the question is open again.
Where is the best place for us to live?

Me, my wife and 2 young children.
Looking for good schools ( youngest is 4 years old with Downs Syndrome) so Special Needs important.
Rental price is not an issue.

Need to move by February 09

Thanks in advance
It's not that Western Springs isn't an option as much as taking a train to your job is an option. Wherever you'll be working will be difficult to get to via public transit, especially from the suburbs. Chicago's transit system is great getting you into the city center, but not so much getting from one neighborhood to another.

And again, it all comes down to where on 51st you'd be working. An address or intersection would be helpful to determine which areas might provide a tolerable commute, while still meeting your other needs.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:56 AM

I appreciate you help...thanks.

The location is: 51st West - Zip 60638
Does that help? (I hope so )

Old 09-12-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I appreciate you help...thanks.

The location is: 51st West - Zip 60638
Does that help? (I hope so )
Yeah, so you're by Midway airport. It's possible to take the train into the city then transfer to the Orange line - especially if your office is right next to an Orange line stop.

But, in this instance, driving would be a lot easier. So if you're certain that Western Springs is the type of community you're looking for, I'd say stick with it, and either bite the bullet on the longer train commute, or plan on driving.

I don't know that there really is a neighborhood like what you'll find in Western Springs that will make a train commute more viable. Maybe others can provide suggestions.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:57 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Blitzen,
I would drive. I have made it all the way from Arlington Heights to Midway Airport during the AM rush in 55-60 minutes. About 35-40 minutes is needed to reach 294 & Ogden Av. So if you take 294 S. to I-55 north to Archer Av. east to 55th St. your not looking at a bad commute. Some locals may even know some shorter routes.
You could try a CTA bus from a Metra station due north, but it would be taking you about 35 blocks south-a slow go. Here is link to Metra Metra - Metra System Map

Old 09-13-2008, 10:09 AM

19 posts, read 44,307 times
Default West 51st St, a tough commute from the burbs

So, live in the city. I think a couple of Chicago neighborhoods ought to be on your short list: Beverly and West Beverly. 91st and Claremont; 94th and Hoyne; 99th and Bell; 101st and Washtenaw--these are all fine places to live, and only 6 miles down Western Avenue from 51st street (OK, they are a couple of miles East of your employer. But I think nicer areas than, say, 99th and Cicero, which is more of a straight shot geographically.). Disclaimers: I have relatives in the area; not a lot of rental properties.
HTH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs