Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:19 AM

65 posts, read 291,209 times

Advertisements

Y'all are making me so jealous.....we found out that our POSSIBLE move to the Chicago area is about TWO YEARS away

Believe it or not, the cold is one of the reasons that we want to move there. We're originally from western Washington, so the months-long gray doesn't faze us at all (it's actually rather soothing and cozy) and snow will be icing on the cake (it doesn't snow much back home in the Seattle area).

What I'm getting sick of is the tropical island we've been living on for 5+ years. I know, I know, it's wonderful and we're lucky and we enjoy the palms swaying in the breeze and the hibiscus flowers growing wild and the white sand beaches and all that. But we have two types of weather here, 365 days a year: sunny, humid and 90 degrees; or rainy, steamy and 80 degrees. We got all excited over a "cold snap" on Christmas a couple years ago when the temperature stayed right around 82.

We're ready for some SEASONS, man!

Last edited by team_evans; 09-13-2008 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: thought of something to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 11:02 AM

4,720 posts, read 15,558,307 times
Some of us HAVE to have seasons. I am one of them. I look forward to the changes.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:44 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,124,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
I agree with the post about the grey skies. On a sunny and bright day, snow and 20 degree temps seems pleasant. When it has been grey and dreary for 30 days in a row that is when you say how much you hate winter.
We average 35-50% sunshine in the winter. There might be a week or two of cloudy days, then its punctuated by several sunny days.

Old 09-13-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
The average snowfall in Chicago is 100 cm per winter season.
Winters are cold, snowy and windy in Chicago area.
Summers are warm & humid. Pleasant spring/fall.
Summers are only humid for a few days here and there. I can probably count all the hot and sticky days we had this summer on two hands. Most of this summer has been cool with low humidity. Heck, even some hot days with low humidity. We're nowhere near as humid for as long as the south or east coast. Know how many times I ran the A/C in July and August combined? 13 times. Most areas of the country would LOVE to be able to do that in summer.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:49 PM

61 posts, read 178,642 times
I moved here from South Florida...Weather sucks here..no way around it...but its a nice area...i'll take humidity over dry cold winters any day..Invest in some skin lotion..

Old 09-13-2008, 10:01 PM

10 posts, read 28,062 times
Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like it's the same old winter stuff I grew up with, so no big deal.

Living in Florida does have some benefits weatherwise, but there are no real seasons here and it's way too hot! I'm ready to get my seasons back - not to mention fashionable cold weather clothing To a born and bred northerner, there's just something fundamentally wrong about Christmas decorations in 85 degree sunshine....

Old 09-13-2008, 10:25 PM

610 posts, read 2,718,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydub View Post
Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like it's the same old winter stuff I grew up with, so no big deal.

Living in Florida does have some benefits weatherwise, but there are no real seasons here and it's way too hot! I'm ready to get my seasons back - not to mention fashionable cold weather clothing To a born and bred northerner, there's just something fundamentally wrong about Christmas decorations in 85 degree sunshine....

I have visited warm places over the Christmas holiday and saw "winterish" decorations on palm trees etc... For those who grew up in a warm climate, did the winter holiday decorations ever seem out of place for you? When you read Christmas stories (for those that celebrate) did you ever wonder why Christmas related things always involved snow, snowmen, cold weather activities, etc... when you don't have that in your climate? I remember as a kids my grandparents had a huge plastic snowman in their Florida yard I always thought it was strange to see that down there, what do the native think?

Old 09-15-2008, 10:07 AM

1,464 posts, read 5,487,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
I have visited warm places over the Christmas holiday and saw "winterish" decorations on palm trees etc... For those who grew up in a warm climate, did the winter holiday decorations ever seem out of place for you? When you read Christmas stories (for those that celebrate) did you ever wonder why Christmas related things always involved snow, snowmen, cold weather activities, etc... when you don't have that in your climate? I remember as a kids my grandparents had a huge plastic snowman in their Florida yard I always thought it was strange to see that down there, what do the native think?
I never understood that either, why we always associate Christmas with cold and snow. Jesus Christ was born in the deserts of the Middle East. What does date trees, deserts, and dry-ness, have to do with snow and cold? And how did a pine tree native to northern areas become an item we must put up in our homes to celebrate this time of the year? Shouldn't it be something more like a cactus or date tree as the bible points out that the dates were ripe the time of year Jesus was born and to eat from the trees? How the heck did all this spiral so out of control over the past 2000 years? Now barking dog songs, singing cards... oh and trees must be involved, chasing lights (Vegas style) must be on the homes or lights to resemble icicles, huge plastic penguins must be out on people's front lawns wearing Santa hats, oh and then need I even leave out the fat man himself? LOL! And WTF is up with Christmas decos being in the malls in September? Somebody explain this to me! lol

Old 09-15-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
I never understood that either, why we always associate Christmas with cold and snow. Jesus Christ was born in the deserts of the Middle East. What does date trees, deserts, and dry-ness, have to do with snow and cold? And how did a pine tree native to northern areas become an item we must put up in our homes to celebrate this time of the year? Shouldn't it be something more like a cactus or date tree as the bible points out that the dates were ripe the time of year Jesus was born and to eat from the trees? How the heck did all this spiral so out of control over the past 2000 years? Now barking dog songs, singing cards... oh and trees must be involved, chasing lights (Vegas style) must be on the homes or lights to resemble icicles, huge plastic penguins must be out on people's front lawns wearing Santa hats, oh and then need I even leave out the fat man himself? LOL!
There are no cactus in the Middle East (at least not native), just thought Id let you know that.

And Christmas wasnt celebrated there, as its mainly an Arab/Jewish area. I believe Christmas was first celebrated in Europe, but Im not 100% sure.

Anyways, Christmas isnt even Jesus' birthday to begin with. Its a celebration of his birth, but not his birthday.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,736,029 times
Its all about the pagans, baby.

A lot of Chritmas symbols were adopted from winter solstice celebrations. Evergreen trees = life in winter. Since the pagans were in Europe, the symbols were from a temperate climate.

Last edited by cdc3217; 09-15-2008 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: man my spelling sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs