Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:38 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
About 20 years ago I often had to go there and I took Metra to Maywood and walked to Hines. Never had a problem walking down 5th Avenue. You didn't note where you'd be living, but somewhere along the UP-W line would be good. The alernate of Riverside to Hines is a little longer, but through better neighborhoods. You are prudent to be looking at Metra; driving to work any distance over 10 miles can be a bear.
Did you realize the original posting was from 2007? Whatever decision she made was made a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 03:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Did you realize the original posting was from 2007? Whatever decision she made was made a long time ago.
Whoops! But somebody posted just yesterday.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Bellwood shouldn't be lumped together with Maywood. Bellwood has significantly less crime, and is on par with Berwyn, Forest Park, and only slightly worse than Oak Park.
There are parts of Bellwood is also very high crime kinda like Evanston

Old 10-04-2018, 11:17 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccidentExpress View Post
What I can't figure out is where the working-class portion of the age 25 - 40 crowd is at right now. There are a lot of young Whites who can't afford to buy into the desirable suburbs that are always talked about on this forum, but they also aren't buying into the undesirable neighborhoods that cause everyone on this forum to hold their noses. Are they spending beyond their means to live in the desirable suburbs for a little while and then filing for bankruptcy when they can no longer pay the mortgage? Are they still living with their parents? Are they leaving the Chicago suburbs and/or Illinois entirely? Are they going rural/exurb, where housing costs are cheaper but commutes are longer? Are they renting rather than buying?

I get the feeling that there was a mass exodus of working-class Whites (the parents of the people we're talking about) from Chicagoland years ago and the remainder are either getting old and dying or trying to find a way out. It would be interesting to know where they're going.
As someone in his early 20s who grew up in Oak Park and has known a lot of people in the demographic you mention, most of them who don't still live with their parents have moved to cheaper inner suburbs (Berwyn, Forest Park) or into cheaper/gentrifying areas of the city - usually with roommates. These areas have active nightlife with a lot of bars, arcades, and concerts.

I have the same impression as you do, though, that the white working-class population of the area has plummeted over the last 30-40 years, especially compared to other Midwestern metros.

...For my on-topic portion of this post, maybe I just have a deathwish but I don't feel that unsafe in Maywood. It's different from the suburbs around it but it's not like you're on the south side of the city. If I stay on major streets and keep moving I can bike there reasonably comfortably.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:46 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
It is painfully clear that Mr. Occident did not leave the house frequently LOL

Old 10-08-2018, 09:55 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
People revive posts all the time and possibly some people besides the original poster are interested in the information. Just a caution though as areas change and something that was posted years ago may not be relevant today. Regarding Maywood, I've driven through the area and its not as bad as some posters make it out to be. Its not boarded up buildings, vacant lots, chain link fences, etc. like the bad areas in Chicago. Its basically a lower middle class to working class African American suburb. Take a look on the streetview of google maps and you will see that many of its areas are relatively well kept up. Having said all this I certainly would not walk around there myself or frequent the area at night as it has a higher crime rate.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:36 PM

504 posts, read 495,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
As someone in his early 20s who grew up in Oak Park and has known a lot of people in the demographic you mention, most of them who don't still live with their parents have moved to cheaper inner suburbs (Berwyn, Forest Park) or into cheaper/gentrifying areas of the city - usually with roommates. These areas have active nightlife with a lot of bars, arcades, and concerts.

I have the same impression as you do, though, that the white working-class population of the area has plummeted over the last 30-40 years, especially compared to other Midwestern metros.

...For my on-topic portion of this post, maybe I just have a deathwish but I don't feel that unsafe in Maywood. It's different from the suburbs around it but it's not like you're on the south side of the city. If I stay on major streets and keep moving I can bike there reasonably comfortably.
Oak Park is miles ahead, and even Berwyn/FP are miles ahead of Maywood. Maywood is pretty ****ty and definitely filled with vacant lots and has boarded up buildings. I buy old housing materials from houses that are getting torn down in Maywood and there is constantly new inventory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs