Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 PM

8 posts, read 28,509 times

Advertisements

I just moved from Florida to the Chicago North Suburbs. Can you please advice me of the kind of clothing I should buy for the winter? Are there any clothes that keep me warm but are not too thick and at the same time looks good? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 10:18 PM

18 posts, read 78,436 times
Personally, I think the winter winds in Chicago are a lot worse that the cold, so get a jacket that is windproof rather than super warm. Make sure it reaches down your butt, though. You can always wear an additional sweater if the temperature goes way down, and many days are really not that cold at all. If you have a car, a jacket, gloves and a scarf will probably be enough. I use public transportation, so I have a few sets of long, warm underwear, warm socks, a couple of sweaters, a windproof winter jacket and waterproof boots. And of course hats, earmuffs, mittens/gloves and scarves.

Salt will quickly destroy any shoes made of leather, so get more than one pair if you don't like the idea of waterproof ones.

BTW, I've seen people in flip-flops in Chicago in the middle of February, and believe me, it wasn't warm then

Last edited by Shrimps; 09-30-2008 at 10:27 PM..

Old 10-01-2008, 06:14 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,647,326 times
for the really cold weather(usually in january) I would suggest a down coat, or something with thinsulate. thinsulate is usually very warm, yet lighter weight. a great place to shop for winter coats, for women, is Carson's. I have had very good luck there. Also, Kohls has good sales too.
since I am the kind of person that gets really cold. I always bundle up. If you have kids that participate in football or track in the spring and you are a spectator, I would suggest picking up some Handwarmers. they are little packets that are heat activated by the air. you can get them at sporting good stores and also at menards. they last for hours!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 AM

17,400 posts, read 14,637,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimps View Post
BTW, I've seen people in flip-flops in Chicago in the middle of February, and believe me, it wasn't warm then
My personal favorite is big sweatershirt, shirt underneath that and shorts.

I've never quite understood that.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:49 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

You must have seen my FIL! He wears shorts all year round. Go figure!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Wool and silk are good in cold weather, avoid cotton. If you perspire, the cotton will stay damp and you'll get cold. Wool has excellent insulating properties. Thin merino or cashmere sweaters will keep you from looking too bulked up. If I am going to be outside for a while in cold weather I wear silk long underwear (including sock liners which you can get at Lands End), a cashmere sweater I picked up for 2$ and 82 cents (!) at a thrift store and then the top layer should be, as noted above a breathable, windproof jacket or coat.
Also be aware that in cold weather, your body may want to bulk up and that it's a lot harder to eat salads consistently when it's 20 degrees out.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:58 PM

8 posts, read 33,578 times
born and raised in the south. Once it stays below 70 on a daily basis I get out the coat. The best piece of advice I have seen here is find something to cover yer butt. That is critical.

Last year I bought a water/windproof large jacket (when a M would be enough) with a removable down liner. The versitility makes it less "warm" as a stand alone piece (than say those sleeping bag jackets) but gives you the ability to make it as bulky or not. and as warm or not as needed.

I am a big fan of fleece hats and scarfs (soft and warm), but bulker gloves. I wear a lot of fleece around the house (like now...).

I also where a lot of "fashion" scarfs (pashminas, etc) at work in the winter because it never seems to be warm enough for me.

That being said, be sure and get out and enjoy the snow.

... and just remember the amazing August days when it is March and all you want to see is green grass

Old 10-01-2008, 11:36 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,609,770 times
Screw style; go with warmth.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:52 AM

132 posts, read 528,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post

I do that a lot... including yesterday
But what confuses me is when a person is cold, wearing a big jacket, and not wearing a hat!
You'll lose a lot more heat going without a hat than you would by wearing shorts. All that happens when I wear long pants is my legs get much too hot when indoors.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:56 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
Go for the windproof jacket that covers your butt. Wear a scarf. Dress in layers. Also there are these boots brand name: Sorel, these things are awesome and they are good to like 40 below or something like that. They are available at outfitter shops like Gander mountain, farm and fleet, maybe other stores but you will have to call around.

Also, thinsulate gloves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs