Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegjer815 View Post
I grew up in OAK PARK and lived there from 1936-1954. I vaguely remember a Nobel Prize winner being denied residence in Oak Park. Does anyone remember who he was?
Probably thinking about Percy Julian. Notable chemist, though he never won the Nobel prize. There's a bust of him in Scoville Park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:59 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,625,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Probably thinking about Percy Julian. Notable chemist, though he never won the Nobel prize. There's a bust of him in Scoville Park.
Yup-- however un-PC-- Julian is sometimes referred to as the black Einstein.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:01 PM

22 posts, read 36,565 times
Default OP is a nice village

I've lived in Oak Park for 3 years now. I personally really like it. It is a nice, friendly community. Depending on where you live, you can do most things by foot. It has both a small-town feel and an urban feel to the town. The tree-lined streets are beautiful in the spring and summer. I think it is a pretty safe town. I live on the west side of Ridgeland on Oak Park Ave. I don't have kids, so I can't comment on the schools. I would recommend visiting here and then deciding. Oak Park has a "meet the village" day in the spring sometime.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:37 PM

16 posts, read 59,212 times
I live in Oak Park now too and have been here for 7 years.

What are the demographics?
It is a very diverse suburb. All different backgrounds in an urban setting.

Is it safe?
Mostly yes. The closer you get to Austin Blvd (east) the more crime seems to happen. But I have never had a problem or seen any problems. There are lots of cops always on patrol so things seem well monitored.

What is the economic condition?
I am not sure if you mean real estate? or Jobs? Real Estate prices in Oak Park have fallen about 25% in the last 2 years. It is a great time to buy a condo or home here at below market prices and get a great deal.

What's the employment situation like? Where do most people work?
Nobody really works in Oak Park, it's all houses. The largest employer is the Hospital and then next is the town itself. Most people commute downtown to Chicago to work and others drive out to other suburbs to work.

What are the schools like?
The schools are rated well but I don't have kids so I can't say really.

How does it compare to affluent suburbs like, Lake Forest, Winnetka, Evanston, etc.?
I think there are a lot of the same type of people living in the large victorian homes in Oak Park and River Forest as in those towns because the property values are about the same. The difference is that Oak Park also has low income housing and mid-income housing also. So it is a more integrated and mixed community. I personally think that is better.

I hope some of this information helps.

Chicago Weekend Fun

Old 01-24-2009, 06:13 AM

298 posts, read 579,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Hello,
I'd like to find out as much as possible about Oak Park. For example,
What are the demographics?
Is it safe?
What is the economic condition?
What's the employment situation like? Where do most people work?
What are the schools like?
How does it compare to affluent suburbs like, Lake Forest, Winnetka, Evanston, etc.?

The more info you can provide, the better.

Thanks.
As an Oak Park resident, I really consider Oak Park (hip-urban), River Forest (stately, serene), and downtown Forest Park (smokin'!)to be "my area", as all three offer a pallate of options.

Now to Oak Park:
For demographics, etc., the city-data link will give you that info. Anecdotally, as a resident, here's my humble opinion:
Demographics:
diverse

Safety:
yes, like a city neighborhood, one must be aware of surroundings. Crime is a factor, mostly property stuff. This is an ongoing issue that we all contend with - I am bothered by the crime issues in Oak Park, others seem less bothered. I have a dog...

Economics:
The village is in the same situation as the country; budget issues. Read Wednesday Journal for updates. Taxes are high.

Employment:
Downtown Chicago is really the hub of employment, then corporate malls like Oak Brook. Oak Park has small businesses, etc. People travel all over to go to work. Major transit in CTA, Metra, expressways, etc. You can commute to most areas for work.

Schools: very good, very diverse, very active parents, lots of extras, can't go wrong.

Compared to other affluent burbs: Oak Park rules! Most similar to Evanston in the "urban suburban" feel. Really good restaurants, cool arts district, Marion mall is beautiful. Oak Park is a quicker trip downtown (8-10 minute drive non rush from Austin/Ike). As to the other suburbs, there's really no comparison, but rather personal tastes. Lake Forest, Winnetka, etc., have a slower beat, are certainly beautiful communities, but less vibrant IMHO.

In sum:

What I like:

GREAT architecture (no tear downs allowed, so great old arts/crafts homes), diverse, educated population, liberal bent, neighboring downtown Forest Park and River Forest, proximity to downtown Chicago.

What I dislike:

Scumbags breaking into garages to steal leafblowers , spillover crime from Austin, high taxes , Harlem Avenue traffic , and village government always in controversy .

Old 01-24-2009, 10:13 AM

26 posts, read 61,621 times
My sister-in-law's family lives in Oak Park and they love it. They have some of the best public schools there is, and it is EXTREMELY diverse. Compared to the more affluent suburbs, it is FAR closer to downtown (15 minutes instead of up to 45 minutes) and, despite its location to Austin, it is rather safe.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:51 PM

5 posts, read 11,553 times
I lived there for 26 years, raised my kids there and my house value incresed by a factor of 10. I leave my door unlocked, and if though petty crime may occur, it against property and the police follow through and catch them.
Raising my kids in an economically, racially, and demographically diverse community was the best thing I ever did to prepare them for the real world. Find a nice historic house and you'll never regret it.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:57 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboater View Post
I lived there for 26 years...I leave my door unlocked, and if though petty crime may occur...
Are you insane?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Btw what street do you live on?

jk

Old 01-24-2009, 04:30 PM

5 posts, read 11,553 times
I appreciate the smiley, but crime is prevented by people being on the street and being good neighbors. It doesn't matter how strong you lock is, or for that matter, if you lock it. That's why Oak Park is desirable, the people that live there.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:07 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,604,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboater View Post
I appreciate the smiley, but crime is prevented by people being on the street and being good neighbors. It doesn't matter how strong you lock is, or for that matter, if you lock it...
Uh yeah ok buddy.

So what is your address?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs