Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,787 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband & I just started our family and are thinking about moving from the city to the burbs. We've lived in a variety of U.S. cities over the past 10 years (SF, NYC, Chicago) so the transition seems a little scary -- but necessary in terms of public school.

I'd be curious if anyone can elaborate on what it's like to live in La Grange or Evanston (two we both like in our $ range) for an anti soccer mom. Also, any comments on the public high schools? I've heard mixed reviews. Also, would I be totally nuts to live a few towns away from my mother-in-law?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 06:24 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
I lived in Evanston and Brookfied (close to LaGrange). I preferred Evanston. Nothing against LaGrange because it's very nice, but Evanston gave me more of a urban /artsy feel mainly due to Northwestern being right there. I have a good friend who went to Evanston Twp public schools and she went on to Notre Dame and is now an attorney for Bill & Melinda Gates. Their schools have a mixed reputation because of it's diversity, but many smart kids come out of that school system. I also have friends who went to LT (Lyons Twp ... LaGrange schools) and they seem to be much more of a suburban mindset ... group think. They lived so close to Chicago, but hardly ever went there ... not true of Evanston folks.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:10 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,387 times
Yeah I can totally picture that. Evanston, unlike the LaGrange area has an el train (CTA's Purple Line) that links it up with Chicago's north side, and generally has more of a city-feel. Parts of Evanston could pass for a northern extension of Chicago that simply closes up shop a bit earlier. The area is also a bit more diverse I think thanks to NU and the natural demographics of the area. Downtown Evanston seems to be ground zero & the hub of commercial activity, a mini-downtown Chicago for the North Shore equipped with high-rises, businesses & restaurants, southern Evanston is flatter but still looks pretty dense and has an urban, almost Rogers Park-like feel to it, northern Evanston is quieter and looks more like Wilmette, west Evanston is the predominantly African-American part of town (ie. Dodge St.), and then keep venturing west and you're in the super diverse United Nations-like suburb of Skokie. Go north into Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, etc. and you're in the less diverse, but definitely posh North Shore area (New Trier district).

LaGrange had a nice downtown the one time that I visited it. I felt that the area was a bit less diverse and could have more of a connection to a Naperville rather than a Evanston. A lot of it could be due to its location and the direction in which it faces the city of Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I lived in Evanston and Brookfied (close to LaGrange). I preferred Evanston. Nothing against LaGrange because it's very nice, but Evanston gave me more of a urban /artsy feel mainly due to Northwestern being right there. I have a good friend who went to Evanston Twp public schools and she went on to Notre Dame and is now an attorney for Bill & Melinda Gates. Their schools have a mixed reputation because of it's diversity, but many smart kids come out of that school system. I also have friends who went to LT (Lyons Twp ... LaGrange schools) and they seem to be much more of a suburban mindset ... group think. They lived so close to Chicago, but hardly ever went there ... not true of Evanston folks.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:16 PM

677 posts, read 4,209,178 times
I grew up in Western Springs (next to La Grange) and lived in Evanston for four years while I went to Northwestern. Evanston is definitely more urban/artsy. It has tons of great coffee shops (I think that was my favorite part), little stores, and the Clark St beach is great. El access is incredibly convenient if you visit the city a lot, although I would say that La Grange is almost as convenient since Metra has two stops in town. I went to LT and loved it. I can't say enough good things about that school. As for the K-8 districts, it's hit and miss. District 101 is one of the best in Illinois, but that's in Western Springs. In La Grange, District 102 is better than 105. La Grange has a great downtown area with tons of boutiques and local restaurants along with some chains. Personally I'd feel safer raising kids in La Grange versus Evanston, but in both it depends on where you live.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,551 times
Default LaGrange

On the contrary, A District 105 elementary school just received the number one school in Cook county by Chicago magazine.
I live in LaGrange, have two (2) small children and have moved many times in the past few years. My feet are now planted. There is no other place I would rather raise my children.

Old 01-30-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHManoa1997 View Post
On the contrary, A District 105 elementary school just received the number one school in Cook county by Chicago magazine.
I live in LaGrange, have two (2) small children and have moved many times in the past few years. My feet are now planted. There is no other place I would rather raise my children.
When I said that District 102 is better, I was referring to test scores. The average ISAT score for the middle school in Dist 105 is 65% meeting/exceeding state standards, which is below the state average. The only other school, middle or elementary, that feeds to LT and has an ISAT average below the state average is the middle school in Lyons. I think there's something wrong when a school in a wealthy area like La Grange scores only slightly better than one in Lyons.

Also, I completely agree with you about raising a family here. I moved back to my hometown, Western Springs, to raise my 3 kids because I believe that Lyons Township is the best area in Chicagoland. There is nowhere else I'd rather raise my children either.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 AM

26 posts, read 295,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenleigh View Post
When I said that District 102 is better, I was referring to test scores. The average ISAT score for the middle school in Dist 105 is 65% meeting/exceeding state standards, which is below the state average. The only other school, middle or elementary, that feeds to LT and has an ISAT average below the state average is the middle school in Lyons. I think there's something wrong when a school in a wealthy area like La Grange scores only slightly better than one in Lyons.

The District 105 middle school serves Countryside and Hodgkins--not just "wealthy" La Grange. I wouldn't say there is something wrong with the school. There are more underprivileged and ESL students there.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,551 times
Why would you base an opinion on the place where they spend only two (2) years? Hodgkins school, that also feeds in to Gurrie, made the top ten as well. Yes, test scores were taken into consideration. There goes the wealthy analysis. I did not notice any Western Springs schools on the list.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHManoa1997 View Post
Why would you base an opinion on the place where they spend only two (2) years? Hodgkins school, that also feeds in to Gurrie, made the top ten as well. Yes, test scores were taken into consideration. There goes the wealthy analysis. I did not notice any Western Springs schools on the list.
Was a personal attack really necessary? Regardless of the number of years, middle school prepares students for high school, and is an important step. The test scores in Western Springs speak for themselves. McClure Junior High has an average ISAT score of 95.5%, while the elementary schools scored 93.7%, 92.6%, and 91.9%, respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs