Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:24 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times

Advertisements

lol at this thread...what are the bad sections of Oak Park- are you serious??? IMO there aren't any- some spots aren't as nice as others, but bad..... drive down Laramie and then you'll get bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:54 AM

333 posts, read 1,147,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Austin is quickly gentrifing with black professionals moving in and the ghetto scum moving out. I would not worry about Oak Park east.
Prove this ridiculous statement. Sounds more like a wish and the farthest thing from the truth!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
lol at this thread...what are the bad sections of Oak Park- are you serious??? IMO there aren't any- some spots aren't as nice as others, but bad..... drive down Laramie and then you'll get bad
Hey, Noid, what dont you live on Austin/Lake, even on the Oak Park side. See how safe you feel. Why dont you pull up a lawn chair and sit on the corner and talk to all the wonderful people you see walk past you. Dont worry, you will be fine.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by promis1 View Post
Hey, Noid, what dont you live on Austin/Lake, even on the Oak Park side. See how safe you feel. Why dont you pull up a lawn chair and sit on the corner and talk to all the wonderful people you see walk past you. Dont worry, you will be fine.
Dude I can pull up a lawn chair on Madison and Pulaski and feel safe I was born on the southside and raised on the westside (North Austin)- there is nothing about Oak Park that makes me feel unsafe (maybe west suburban hospital) Now if I was raised where the streets were paved of gold then yes some gum stuck to the pavement on Austin or a little trash would scare me

Old 03-11-2009, 08:25 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,075,642 times
It's one thing to point out that an area sucks in relative terms -- higher crime, ghetto looking storefronts, lots of trash, etc. Those are facts that can't be denied. It's totally ridiculous though to act like you are going to get mauled by savages if you pass through (or pull up a lawn chair) in the day. Even in some of the worst parts of Englewood there are woman pushing babies around in strollers. I go down Halsted to 95th five days a week, frequently stopping along the way, and nobody has ever said anything to me.

Before anyone freaks out, I did NOT say that there is nowhere that should be avoided at all costs. But those areas are more the exception. The random ghetto street isn't that big of a deal.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Pffft. I'm as pasty-white as they come and even I would feel fine sitting on a lawn chair all day at Austin & Lake.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Pffft. I'm as pasty-white as they come and even I would feel fine sitting on a lawn chair all day at Austin & Lake.
Why do we say all day? What about at night? I will bet you would be robbed within a few days. And all that criminal what say after he robbed your sorry but, is what a dumb whiteboy!

Old 03-11-2009, 10:50 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Oak Park has parts that are worse than other parts of Oak Park, but really no "bad parts". Maybe Austin Avenue itself could be considered a bit sketchy because it is shared with the horrible Austin neighborhood (it's the eastern border of the village). But I know separate families on Lombard, Taylor, and Cuyler--all east of Ridgeland--and they all love it in spite of the occasional garage break-in. Is crime higher in eastern Oak Park? A little bit. But it's not enough of a difference to call this a "bad part" of Oak Park.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Why do we say all day? What about at night? I will bet you would be robbed within a few days. And all that criminal what say after he robbed your sorry but, is what a dumb whiteboy!
You'd be dumb to be out alone at 3:30 a.m. anywhere in the near western suburbs.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
so if the criminal is white he would say what a dumb whiteboy or are you equating the word criminal to another ethnic group relative to the neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs