Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:34 AM

421 posts, read 557,011 times

Advertisements

I started this on the Chicago thread but didn't hear much. So I thought I would try my luck in the 'burbs.

We love chicago, but not totally sure we would want to live in the city. The job in question is near navy pier.

What we really want:
Home under 1 million (would prefer much less, like 550k)
4 bedrooms, 2 bath
Family friendly, safe neighborhood is essential
Back yard, we have dogs
Decent car commute to job location (near navy pier) - not sure what is a decent commute time by car is when it comes to chicago. Over an hour would be the pits. His likely work hours would be 8am-7pm, so those would be the commute times. Also I know driving in chicago is the pits, but he has to have a car for work.

Perks
Large lot (.5 acres+)
Public transport to the heart of the city (just for visiting)
Larger home, 3k sq/ft+
Newer home build/move in ready
Subdivision with pool, etc or good community centers
Close to nature
Close to Montessori private schools (elementary/middle)

Can anyone make suggestions? What are the car commutes like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 12:24 PM

33 posts, read 87,463 times
I would focus on some of the nicer neighborhoods on the north side of the city or the north shore suburbs along the lake. You don't want a driving commute to Navy Pier via I-90 or I-290.

In the city:

Bucktown - is a very safe and affluent neighborhood that is close to downtown. You'd get to Navy Pier via I-90/94 but it will be fairly quick. Higher end of your price range. Around 15-20 minute drive.

Ex: http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/22.../3732575_zpid/

Sauganash - is a more suburban affluent neighborhood on the edge of the city, would still be a decently close drive to Navy Pier. Around 30-35 minutes.

Ex: 5941 N Knox Ave, Chicago, IL 60646 is For Sale - Zillow

In the suburbs:

Evanston - the first suburb heading north along the lake, again not a bad commute via Lake Shore Drive. Probably 35-40 minutes.

Wilmette - immediately north of Evanston along the lake. Public schools are better than Evanston, especially if you intend to send your kids to a public high school after finishing middle school (New Trier tends to be ranked higher than Evanston Township High School). Can also take Lake Shore drive. Probably 45 minutes.

The one thing you're not going to get with any of the above is half an acre of land. Lots are on the small side in the close in suburbs even in the very expensive areas. You'll have a hard time finding a piece of property that big anywhere that is an easy driving commute to Navy Pier.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:05 PM

Thanks so much! Eek the lots are tiny! How's the common area and parks in chicago. We have been there many times but hang out in touristy areas. Lots of parks but...they didn't seem like family parks.

Old 08-20-2014, 05:24 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,477,336 times
Default Coming from Houston you need to adjust your perspective...

...the relative size of the "city limits" in Houston means that you can basically consider the ENTIRE METRO REGION of Chicago instead of the official boundaries of where the city's taxes end.

Lots of physicians that work at downtown hospitals like Northwestern or Childrens (both of which are near to Navy Pier in a tourist reference sense...) have no qualms about driving to work from suburbs like Evanston, Oak Brook, Wilmette, Western Springs, LaGrange, Elmhurst, River Forest, Hinsdale, Kenilworth, Clarendon Hills, Winnetka, or similar spots. (All of these towns also have well regarded local hospitals that many skilled physicians eventually affliate their practice to -- of course that might not be possible early in one's career or if one has

Assuming the kind of schedule that has time blocked out for early morning surgery it would not be unreasonable to accomplish a drive from say Oak Brook where large lots are exceedingly common and the municpal pool rivals most country clubs is well under 40 minutes off peak, it is a distance of 20 miles and is almost exclusively expresway except for the last few fractions of a mile. Of course there are choke points along the Eisenhower Expressway that will make the drive more like an hour during normal rush hour commute.

Towns north of the city of limits should also be considerd as "Lake Shore Drive" often moves very well too.

I have no doubt that you can find find a home in good condition but built perhaps many years in ago in any of the towns listed. All of the towns have schools that range from "outstanding" to "very good". The various lots sizes could certainly accomodate two good size dogs without disturbing your neighbors. The trade-offs may be that if you also want a "premium" type location that offers walkable access to Metra commute train service you will likely compromise lots size and/or knock up against the top of your budget. Alternatively if you are OK with something a bit futher from the train (which actually might work to your advantage if primary means of transportation is in fact personal vehicle...) you might be able to get more land and still stay under $1M.

Folks that have no refernce beyond the compact lots of Chicago or even those that are prevelent in places adjacent to the city like Oak Park, may not appreciate the desire of folks to have a backyard large enough to give kids a play area / space for dogs to get some exercise. Similarly the patterns of development in Houston are such that subdivisions inside the city are fairly common -- the places that have pools and such for just a subset of local residents are really unheard even in the nice towns I have listed. What the OP will find in the towns of eastern DuPage Co and western Cook Co that I have listed are some rather nice pools run either by the municipalities or a Park District. Some of these towns also have access to really large play areas, sports fields, pedestrian / bicycle trails as well as much larger dog parks than anything that can be found inside Chicago. It is not likely that many homes will be available at $550K or less BUT upping that toward $800K or $1M will see some nice options.

If you really want to iive in a very dense urban setting I would caution that the few parts of Chicago that would signficantly reduce ones commute to the hospital AND have a selection of the kind of 4 br+ houses that would be appropriate for an affluent professional are very likely to be signficantly more costly than $1M...

Old 08-20-2014, 05:57 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,416,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanmorin25 View Post
I would focus on some of the nicer neighborhoods on the north side of the city or the north shore suburbs along the lake. You don't want a driving commute to Navy Pier via I-90 or I-290.

In the city:

Bucktown - is a very safe and affluent neighborhood that is close to downtown. You'd get to Navy Pier via I-90/94 but it will be fairly quick. Higher end of your price range. Around 15-20 minute drive.

Ex: 2223 W Mclean Ave, Chicago, IL 60647 is For Sale - Zillow

Sauganash - is a more suburban affluent neighborhood on the edge of the city, would still be a decently close drive to Navy Pier. Around 30-35 minutes.

Ex: 5941 N Knox Ave, Chicago, IL 60646 is For Sale - Zillow

In the suburbs:

Evanston - the first suburb heading north along the lake, again not a bad commute via Lake Shore Drive. Probably 35-40 minutes.

Wilmette - immediately north of Evanston along the lake. Public schools are better than Evanston, especially if you intend to send your kids to a public high school after finishing middle school (New Trier tends to be ranked higher than Evanston Township High School). Can also take Lake Shore drive. Probably 45 minutes.

The one thing you're not going to get with any of the above is half an acre of land. Lots are on the small side in the close in suburbs even in the very expensive areas. You'll have a hard time finding a piece of property that big anywhere that is an easy driving commute to Navy Pier.
Did you not read that this person is not sure that they want to be in the city? Bucktown, is a TERRIBLE neighborhood for what this OP wants. Bucktown is more for college kids and perhaps younger couples with one or two young children, as well many smaller lots and homes.

Sauganash is good, but VERY pricey. That's like the primest area of Chicago that is essentially " a suburb in the city", next to Beverly.

As for your suburbs, I don't know why you wouldn't suggest Oak Park? There are some pretty decent sized lots there, and some pockets of the town is more affordable. It's a straight shoot down the Eisinhower and Boom, you're right there in the Loop. Evanston, pretty congested in terms of getting down south, Wilmette is pretty far.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:57 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,348,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
What we really want:
Home under 1 million (would prefer much less, like 550k)
4 bedrooms, 2 bath
Family friendly, safe neighborhood is essential
Back yard, we have dogs
Decent car commute to job location (near navy pier) - not sure what is a decent commute time by car is when it comes to chicago. Over an hour would be the pits. His likely work hours would be 8am-7pm, so those would be the commute times. Also I know driving in chicago is the pits, but he has to have a car for work.

Perks
Large lot (.5 acres+)
Public transport to the heart of the city (just for visiting)
Larger home, 3k sq/ft+
Newer home build/move in ready
Subdivision with pool, etc or good community centers
Close to nature
Close to Montessori private schools (elementary/middle)

Can anyone make suggestions? What are the car commutes like?
There are some surprising values in Wheaton that hit on all of your "perks." My only concern would be the commute, but that's an issue you and your DH would have to hash out. Wheaton to Navy Pier/Northwestern is roughly 30 miles and would take about an hour at 7am or 7pm (by car).

Here is a home on .5 acres that meets your criteria:
808 W Elm St WHEATON, IL 60189 | Redfin

Here is a home on 1.5 acres that needs updating/landscaping, but is offered at a RIDICULOUS $/sqft:
27W415 Wallace Rd WHEATON, IL 60189 | Redfin

Here is an incredibly unique lakefront property that has been on the market for a while and might be ready to deal:
26W108 TOMAHAWK Dr WHEATON, IL 60189 | Redfin

Public transport to the heart of the city: There are two Wheaton Metra stations. Express trains can whisk you to and from Chicago's Loop business district in as little as 34 minutes. Non-express trains take about 50 minutes.

Subdivision with pool, or good community centers: Wheaton has two large community pools, Northside Aquatic Center and Rice Pool & Water Park. Rice Pool & Water Park features three water slides, zero-depth entry, sand volleyball, and a massive waterfall.

Close to nature: Wheaton's southern and western edges are wrapped in sprawling county forest preserves. Wheaton's park district manages over 800 acres of green space and the downtown serves as the hub for the Illinois Prairie Path. There is also Cantigny, St. James Farm, Kline Creek Farm, and the adorable Cosley Zoo. Nature is never far away.

Close to Montessori private schools: Wheaton has two Montessori schools, Wheaton Montessori School and DuPage Montessori School. The public schools are excellent and there are also private k-12 options, both Protestant and Catholic.

Side note: Central DuPage Hospital is located just three miles from Wheaton's dowtown. The hospital was one of only two hospitals in Illinois to make the 10-best lists for both Consumer Reports and US News and World Report.

Last edited by holl1ngsworth; 08-20-2014 at 08:38 PM..

Old 08-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post
There are some surprising values in Wheaton that hit on all of your "perks." My only concern would be the commute, but that's an issue you and your DH would have to hash out. Wheaton to Navy Pier/Northwestern is roughly 30 miles and would take about an hour at 7am or 7pm (by car).

Here is a home on 1.5 acres that needs updating/landscaping, but is offered at a RIDICULOUS $/sqft:

Here is an incredibly unique lakefront property that has been on the market for a while and might be ready to deal:

Public transport to the heart of the city: There are two Wheaton Metra stations. Express trains can whisk you to and from Chicago's Loop business district in as little as 34 minutes. Non-express trains take about 50 minutes.

Subdivision with pool, or good community centers: Wheaton has two large community pools, Northside Aquatic Center and Rice Pool & Water Park. Rice Pool & Water Park features three water slides, zero-depth entry, sand volleyball, and a massive waterfall.

Close to nature: Wheaton's southern and western edges are wrapped in sprawling county forest preserves. Wheaton's park district manages over 800 acres of green space and the downtown serves as the hub for the Illinois Prairie Path. There is also Cantigny, St. James Farm, Kline Creek Farm, and the adorable Cosley Zoo. Nature is never far away.

Close to Montessori private schools: Wheaton has two Montessori schools, Wheaton Montessori School and DuPage Montessori School. The public schools are excellent and there are also private k-12 options, both Protestant and Catholic.

Side note: Central DuPage Hospital is located just three miles from Wheaton's dowtown. The hospital was one of only two hospitals in Illinois to make the 10-best lists for both Consumer Reports and US News and World Report.
Wow thank you so much for all the great info. I want that lake house! Wow! All the properties you showed gives me a good idea of the area. Again, thanks so much.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:51 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,956,119 times
Large yards are not good. A smaller nice yard is the best. Too much upkeep for the larger yards.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Large yards are not good. A smaller nice yard is the best. Too much upkeep for the larger yards.
We hire out for lawn care. Dogs and kids need space. Different needs for different people.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:27 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,101,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl1ngsworth View Post

Ding Ding Ding...this is the winner. If I would have stayed in the Chicago area, I would have moved to the Wheaton-Lombard area. It is in a great central location and is a very nice area. Also, the last time I checked Dupage taxes aren't as bad as Cook County taxes. I just get a bit of a kick at the nature comment. Chicagoland and nature, in the proper sense of nature, doesn't really exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs