U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 11:34 AM
SP1 SP1 started this thread

24 posts, read 70,169 times

Advertisements

If this water contains unsafe levels of biological contaminants going unchecked is any water safe?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

CITIZENS GROUP INTENDS TO GET TO THE BOTTOM
OF DEKALB SANITARY DISTRICT’S QUESTIONABLE
ASSOCIATION WITH HORSE SLAUGHTERING PLANT

On Wednesday, February 21, 2007, the citizens of DeKalb, Illinois will finally have the opportunity to voice their opinions and ask serious questions as to why Cavel International, Inc. has received preferential treatment by the DeKalb Sanitary District and why it has been allowed to continue its operations despite years’ worth of mounting violations for illegal amounts of discharge into the city’s water treatment plant. The violations are as a result of the plant not adhering to its Industrial User Permit, issued by the DeKalb Sanitary District.

The meeting of the DeKalb Sanitary District Board of Trustees will take place at the DeKalb Sanitary District, 303 Hollister Avenue, DeKalb, Illinois, 12:00 noon. This matter is on the agenda and will be open for public participation.

For years, the people of DeKalb have been subjected to the dangers presented from highly toxic waste being dumped by Cavel International, Inc., while the Sanitary District has proceeded to issue violations, fines and threats of shut downs to the plant. To date, despite these attempts to compel the plant to abide by the terms of its permit, the DeKalb Sanitary District has yet to follow through on its threats to revoke the permit for noncompliance. To date, the illegal waste discharge continues while the plant still operates in its usual manner.

The citizens who are initiating this effort are concerned that the DeKalb Sanitary District has been intentionally putting the interests of this plant before the safety and welfare of the city’s residents. Residents are encouraged to attend this very important meeting. It is the consensus of those initiating this effort that the DeKalb Sanitary District has failed in its attempts to hold Cavel International, Inc. to the terms of its Industrial Use Permit, and that the plant must shut its doors until such time it is able to operate free and clear of any discharges that puts further strain on the city’s water treatment plant or poses any threat to the citizens of DeKalb and its surrounding communities..

“Public Safety must take precedence over the interests of big business”, says Dawn Mancina, a spokesperson for the citizen group. “Until the DeKalb Sanitary District takes responsibility for its own actions in regards to Cavel, the people will continue pressing for answers and action. The unanswered questions that have been floating in the air for a long time now have finally come to a head. It is our intent to see that the concerns of the people are attended to.”

Contact: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SanitaryDeKalbIllinois/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 12:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,155 times
It is hard to phantom that a business has be allowed to operate in constant violation of their "discharge" limitations.
How could the good people of DeKalb sit by and allow this? Where is the concern?
Seems the Sanitary District Board is bending over backwards to accommodate Cavel instead of shutting them down and protecting their residents from any unsafe water in DeKalb.
Now, Cavel installed a new tank over a week ago that was to relieve the situation of too much discharge. Yet, this tank is filled in a recent picture posted in a local newspaper yesterday. If you haven't seen it, I think you should. This huge tank that was installed to bring Cavel into compliance with their discharge limits, froze, there is yuk foaming over the top and the seams are all oozing also.
Come on people of DeKalb, and you are NOT to worry? If this much discharged occurred in alittle over a week, can't you imagine just how dangerous your water is? Look at it, all that would have been flowing in your wastewater system in alittle over a week. And you are not concerned?
All kinds of toxins are in that water, drugs in the horses that they are slaughtering.
We will be reading about your city down the line, like ones I have read before, frogs being born with abnormalities, hmmmmm..you got to worry, don't swim in the water. NOW how is that good revenue for your city when people will be afraid to visit?
What makes me really mad is that Mike Zima is going to help Cavel yet again. He is going to help find a solution to the oozing tank at Cavel.
Well the only solution is to shut that business down and start all over, this hasn't been working since 2002.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,149 times
Default Whose Palm is getting Greased?

The slaughterhouse has accrued many thousands of dollars of fines, but has yet to pay them. How can that be? Obviously, someone in government is turning a blind eye. If this were you, Citizen X, would you be able to get away with this? I don't think so. Shut this place down!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:09 PM

Thumbs down What a smart bunch

You are all so right, and today is the meeting, it started 1 hour ago in DeKalb. I hope the good citizen of this lovely town realize that there is nothing good coming from that oozing tank at Cavel and into the water supply... YUCK!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:14 PM
mdz

622 posts, read 2,544,072 times
Default ah, politics in the 21st century

have to admit that this thread cracked me up. Three new people (or maybe the same one) all post on the same day about the same topic, and then topped off with the original poster agreeing with everybody. I guess this is the new way to get the vote out and get people on your side.

that being said, good luck with your cause--dirty water ain't no fun

Old 02-21-2007, 01:23 PM

Default Politics? nope...ISSUES

Yes, I found this forum and showed other people that are concerned about the situation the forum. Is that wrong? I'm sorry, I think informing people is a good thing. I think that those of you who have been posting here should have picked it up sooner. This is what these blogs are for, to discuss these kinds of issues that are important and as you say, dirty water ain't no fun. I hope you look into this, there was an article exposing this pollution and here is where you can find it.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/artic...t#blogcomments

I had nothing to do with writing this article or getting it written, the reporter did this without my help but I did post there too. I think you'll recognize my user name.

Please take this as your own responsibility to find out about it. I may be a whistle blower but that doesn't make me wrong.

I'm glad you read this thread and hope you continue to follow the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdz View Post
have to admit that this thread cracked me up. Three new people (or maybe the same one) all post on the same day about the same topic, and then topped off with the original poster agreeing with everybody. I guess this is the new way to get the vote out and get people on your side.

that being said, good luck with your cause--dirty water ain't no fun

Old 03-19-2007, 01:38 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

CITIZENS KEEPING WATCH ON SLAUGHTERHOUSE POLLUTION:
DEKALB SANITARY DISTRICT MEETING
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 21, 2007, 12:00 P.M.

The controversy brewing over the continued discharge over contaminated horse waste into the Kishwaukee River has lead to the recent public outcry for the DeKalb Sanitary District to immediately revoke the Special User Permit held by Cavel International, Inc.Moderator cut: ...

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SanitaryDeKalbIllinois/

Last edited by Marka; 03-20-2007 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-02-2007, 09:11 PM

Exclamation watching the newspapers?

If you have been reading the newspapers this issue has been covered frequently. Channel 23 just did a story today about Cavel's closing but not due to the discharge violations. It seems that DeKalb County board has chosen to keep Dr. Collins on despite his open comment to Mr. Tucker at the public meeting where he told him not to worry about being in compliance. Nice!

Everyone needs to remember who reappointed Dr. Collins to his position on DeKalb Sanitary District board. This is public information, but look how they voted, who showed up at the meeting to vote openly, who sent their vote in but didn't show up at the county meeting, how all of this took place. These are your public officials, they are making important decisions for your lives, I wonder who of them drink bottled water.

Just do a Google search for Cavel, DeKalb Sanitary District, DeKalb County, IL, and the cast of characters. The Daily Chronicle covered the story but all the papers that have blogs were selective as to what to allow to be posted, yup, censorship.

Make sure you let everyone know at election time just who played what role. Pat Conboy was DeKalb's Mayor's choice but the County board dismissed his opinion.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 AM

50 posts, read 168,047 times
I lived in DeKalb during college about 6 years ago and they had problems with the water then too.

Didn't they shut down the slaughterhouse for a brief time?

I don't understand why something like this can still be operating? They banned Fois Gras in the city of Chicago because of inhumane treatment to ducks but they can't stop the inhumane treatment to these horses? The reports on how they put these horses down is just as bad, if not worse than how they prepare Fois Gras.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:39 PM

10 posts, read 42,269 times
Default Ah... thank you so.

Just logged-on for thoughts on Sycamore and/or Sandwich but DeKalb's proximity on the West of those areas is now most troublesome to me. I'll take my searches back up into Lake and McHenry counties now. And I don't happen to care if all of your are one-person-posting. I don't take this homework lightly. I'll use Greenpeace to do a little more for me. And I'm grateful to have read about this... not that all communities aren't on-the-take with local employers over the backs and well-being of property tax payers. But (again)... thank you so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs