Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 PM

5 posts, read 19,801 times

Advertisements

We are moving to a house with some pipelines in the basement with asbestos. It is a bit cracked so we wanted to encapsulate it. For $200 more they will remove it. I think that removing it is a better option but I am afraid that the asbestos fibers will remainin the air after they remove everything. I would like to know if somebody has experience with asbestos and what would be the recomendation..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:54 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,575 times
We have some asbestos covered pipes in our basement. We've always been told the best course of action is to just not disturb it. Removing it is very intensive and potentially hazardous. As long as you don't touch it or cause it to create dust particles, its pretty harmless. Of course I could drop dead of lung cancer tomorrow...

Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,359 times
I agree with the recommendation to encapsulate it instead of removing it when it comes to pipes. Now if the whole attic was filled with it then that is another story. I've always been told to not disturb it if at all possible.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,459,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
We have some asbestos covered pipes in our basement. We've always been told the best course of action is to just not disturb it. Removing it is very intensive and potentially hazardous. As long as you don't touch it or cause it to create dust particles, its pretty harmless. Of course I could drop dead of lung cancer tomorrow...
We removed an asbestos tile floor from our old house and just kept it wet so no particles would fly up, and tried to get it off in as large of pieces as possible. But even if you completely botch a small removal job, the majority of those who contracted cancer from it had a history of long term exposure to it. I don't want to make light of asbestos but I think we've been trained by the media to be overly terrified of this stuff.

Problem with encapsulating it is the material is going to continue to deteriorate with time, and if the covering ever starts to break off, or if your kids some day decide to start using the pipes as a chin up bar, you may end up (unknowingly) with more asbestos particles in the air (and in your carpet and furniture) than if you'd just removed it right before you moved in.

Personally, I'd just have it removed before you move all your stuff in, and ensure that whoever does it does it right, and then when its done thoroughly clean the pipes to get rid of any stray particles.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
For pipes in basement encapsulation is the better option. Anybody who says "for $200 more we can get rid of the stuff" is NOT the kind of asbestos remediation firm you want to deal with. The concern is not just that the friable fibers will be floating around your home for a very long time if this is not handled properly, but the poor fools that are going to contaminate themselves and dump the stuff who-knows-where for that small a sum...

Second Hand Asbestos Exposure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs