U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 PM

28 posts, read 112,502 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our family is looking to possibly move to the Argonne area from the eastern US. I've been reading everything I can find in hopes of finding a town that is a good match. I'd love some input!

Our criteria:

1) Good schools (two young kids)
2) Low crime
3) Nice, walkable downtown area (sidewalks, nice shops and restaurants)
4) Homes within walking distance to downtown with mature trees and character ($400,000- $500,000)
5) Short commute to Argonne (less than 15 min)

Does this town exist?! Thanks!

hmarthur
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 08:06 PM

2,297 posts, read 5,755,344 times
You've just described Downer's Grove perfectly. You have the added benefit of Metra service (commuter train) for when you want to go into the city.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:51 AM

28,461 posts, read 78,595,246 times
I live much closer to Argonne than Downers Grove and you can't get to the lab in 15 minutes unless you are talking about the extreme southern tip of DG, and then you can't walk to its large downtown. That said I do think Downers Grove is a good bet. Housing stock is available in the price range you suggest, and some of it is in really quite nice. The town has a terrific Park District, huge library, great YMCA and many other ammenities. Schools are good, crime is a non-issue, century-old trees are common.

If you want better schools you could look at Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills, but unless you find a foreclosure you are not going to be in $400-500K range and still "in town". Quite a few of the Sr. people at the lab live in the Hinsdale/Clarendon Hills. Alot of the younger people and technical/administrative staff live more to southwest where housing dollars go farther.

There are only a handful of places that are under 15 minutes to the lab, and most of them have some downsides -- the lab is in the middle of a forest preserve and there is only a small border between the nature preserve and some rather busy highways OR some older canals. There are some challenges for those areas in terms of schools too, as they do not have as much property wealth and have a larger percentage of rental units, which tend to have a different mix of students.

You really ought to come visit and weigh the trade-offs, but if your top priority are very good schools and a very pleasant commute (via normal surface streets that you could bicycle in good weather) of perhaps 25 minutes or so you could easily find that...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 AM

28 posts, read 112,502 times
Thank you both very much for your input. I'm very glad I stumbled upon this forum. We'll definitely take your replies into consideration if we end up moving west.

hmarthur

Old 11-11-2008, 02:02 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,412,188 times
Downer's Grove is a beautiful town. From most areas during rush hour probably closer to a 20-25 minute drive though. Although, in most of the suburbs you can't beat that for a commute! I grew up about .5 miles from Argonne, my family had a farm out there. It is a great area, and the Rocky Glen (or Waterfall Glen) forest preserve by the lab is nice if you are into hiking or biking. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,130,925 times
You might also wish to check out Lemont. It's an older town with lots of growth.
My father-in-law was an engineer at Argonne National and they lived in Hinsdale, a lovely area.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:45 PM

69 posts, read 377,566 times
I am also looking at taking a job at Argonne NL. Is Tinley and Orland too far away for a comfortable commute?

What do you know about property taxes, etc in the areas?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM

1,966 posts, read 5,662,738 times
Orland and Tinley do not have the type of downtown you are looking for. Tinley is also a bit far. Orland a bit better but still not 15 minutes. It is suburban sprawl hell though in my opinion. I personally don't think either of those towns is as nice as what others have mentioned here.

In addition to Downers Grove many people at Argonne tend toward Naperville because of the schools. The downtown is also cute, I guess, and much more substantial than Downers Grove. The schools are definitely considered better. It isn't quite as close as you would like but not too far a commute. Personally I don't have a taste for any of those areas (though I recognize that they are quite nice) but I work with lots of Argonne scientists (I have an energy company) and this is what I hear from them.

Those who want an urban experience live in the South Loop since it is right along I-55. It is a 20-minute shot in against traffic.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:00 PM

4,074 posts, read 6,922,283 times
I'd say Downers is your best bet of all.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:05 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,405,495 times
Try Lisle or Lombard as well. Or even Geneva. Geneva is more spread out while Lisle and Lombard are typical suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs