Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on future of Elmwood Park and River Grove, Hispanic influx, White flight, back to city movement, rise in Hispanic population

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 PM

72 posts, read 212,739 times

Advertisements

What is the future of Elmwood Park and its neighbor, River Grove. Just wandering due to having alot invested in these areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 04:12 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
There are several threads about Elmwood Park if you do a search. Most seem to think that the Hispanic populations will rise, and that this will cause white flight in the future. I don't deny that white flight could happen, but it would be a shame.

One bright spot is the "back to city" movement and the mass transit options in Elmwood Park. I wouldn't write off either community yet!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:40 PM

29 posts, read 101,848 times
Default white flight

Quote:
There are several threads about Elmwood Park if you do a search. Most seem to think that the Hispanic populations will rise, and that this will cause white flight in the future. I don't deny that white flight could happen, but it would be a shame.
And why do you think that there is often white flight when blacks and Hispanics begin to gain numbers in a community? Could it be because a good number of the youths are involved in gang activity and maybe white people want to live in peace instead of worrying about a stray bullet coming through our window or being assaulted or worse because so many blacks and Hispanics seem to hate whites except for attractive white women? Liberals like you act like a good number of white people don't want to live in towns dominated by blacks or Hispanics just because they are black or Hispanic. Most black and Hispanic-dominated communities are known as "bad areas" for a reason and that is high crime/gang activity. A lot of white people like myself want to live in quiet areas away from gangs and high crime. Many black and Hispanic thugs won't listen to a word that white people say and just mock us so why stay and risk being a victim of a violent crime when they begin to dominate an area?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Default re: potter

I would say that the future of Elmwood Park and River Grove is that both towns will become dominated by Hispanics within the next 5-10 years simply because Hispanics are moving in all over and you can't stop them from having so many kids. I expect the white flight that was mentioned to accelerate if the "wrong types" of Hispanics aka Puerto Rican thugs from the city and illegal Mexicans who have little respect for people who aren't Hispanic continue to move in. I live close to North Ave in what is known as the best part of town so I haven't really seen it in my part but I know people on the North side of town who have said that they are seeing more and more Mexicans and Puerto Ricans around town.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
It is almost like Cold War Berlin over there right now.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
It is almost like Cold War Berlin over there right now.
What do you mean by that? Have you seen gang activity?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
And why do you think that there is often white flight when blacks and Hispanics begin to gain numbers in a community? Could it be because a good number of the youths are involved in gang activity and maybe white people want to live in peace instead of worrying about a stray bullet coming through our window or being assaulted or worse because so many blacks and Hispanics seem to hate whites except for attractive white women? Liberals like you act like a good number of white people don't want to live in towns dominated by blacks or Hispanics just because they are black or Hispanic. Most black and Hispanic-dominated communities are known as "bad areas" for a reason and that is high crime/gang activity. A lot of white people like myself want to live in quiet areas away from gangs and high crime. Many black and Hispanic thugs won't listen to a word that white people say and just mock us so why stay and risk being a victim of a violent crime when they begin to dominate an area?

Totally unrelated to my post.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:19 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,460,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTed View Post
Plenty of communities which saw a rise in a Hispanic population but no rise in crime rates. And of course, there are some which did see a rise in crime. There is a pretty clear correlation which shows that crime rises as income levels drop so take what you will from that.

Anyway, as he said, that has nothing to do with his post. He just said that's what people think is going to happen.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Plenty of communities which saw a rise in a Hispanic population but no rise in crime rates. And of course, there are some which did see a rise in crime. There is a pretty clear correlation which shows that crime rises as income levels drop so take what you will from that.

Anyway, as he said, that has nothing to do with his post. He just said that's what people think is going to happen.
You mean like Humboldt Park (Puerto Ricans), Pilsen (Mexicans) and the Avondale neighborhood (Mexicans and Puerto Ricans)? The crime in those neighborhoods became much higher when those groups started moving in, from what I know and what I've read.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Higher Poverty = Higher Crime. There is a clear relationship. Of course most poor people aren't criminals, but there is a strong corrolation between poverty and crime all over the world.

If the Latinos/Latinas moving into Elmwood Park are doing so as homeowners, you will have fewer problems. If they are moving in as low-income renters, crime will go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs