Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,543 times

Advertisements

I was always wary of when the weatherman said the Siberian Express was coming in from Canada. That always meant -10 or more actual degrees. When the weather hit twenty, it felt like a heatwave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 01:19 PM

20 posts, read 55,118 times
I'm moving to Plainfield from Cleveland, so the general weather is quite similar, but I have already noticed on my visits 2 main differences...the wind AND sunshine! NE Ohio is one of the most misreable places to live in the winter because of the dreary skies from the lake effect....this area has more cloudy days a year than Seattle! But everyone I know from Ohio that has lived near Chicago has said that I will be amazed at how much more sunshine there is.

I did get a Lands End coat but only one rated to 10 degrees....I can't stand wearing bulky coats into stores!

Old 12-16-2009, 05:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
In 2001 they replaced the old formula for wind chill, resulting in higher (warmer) wind chill numbers. It would never have been -80 under the current formula. That -25 at 41 mph (the highest wind gust speed, which would be higher than the recorded wind chill) on December 24 1983 is only -64.

-65 is about as cold a wind chill as it's possible to get in Chicago.
The fact of the matter is the 1983 would still be colder than the 1977 or 1979 the guy mentioned.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
I think "wind chill" is a bunch of B.S. It just allows the T.V. weathermen to make their segments more sensational-sounding. Chicago can be damn cold at times in the winter. That's all you need to know.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartestblonde View Post
I'm moving to Plainfield from Cleveland, so the general weather is quite similar, but I have already noticed on my visits 2 main differences...the wind AND sunshine! NE Ohio is one of the most misreable places to live in the winter because of the dreary skies from the lake effect....this area has more cloudy days a year than Seattle! But everyone I know from Ohio that has lived near Chicago has said that I will be amazed at how much more sunshine there is.

I did get a Lands End coat but only one rated to 10 degrees....I can't stand wearing bulky coats into stores!
Yeah, OH is on the wrong side of the lakes. We do get a little more sun, but on the days when its sunny (ie the last few days), that usually means the temps have plummeted. LOL

As for coats? They dont have to be bulky at all. Get yourself to a ski shop, tell them you want the warmest coat they have. Sure theyre not dressy looking, but theyre not at all bulky, and warmer than most coats out there.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
...Chicago can be damn cold at times in the winter. That's all you need to know.
I agree. I just wish others would stop trying to downplay how cold it can and does get here. People need to know the truth!

Of course, people that grew up in this climate or worse in certain states won't have much trouble dealing with the winters, but for others it is a big problem...

Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 PM

313 posts, read 596,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
The fact of the matter is the 1983 would still be colder than the 1977 or 1979 the guy mentioned.

When the OP is worried about -85 degree wind chills, telling her that they're as likely as a hurricane seems relevant.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:54 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Of course, people that grew up in this climate or worse in certain states won't have much trouble dealing with the winters, but for others it is a big problem...
My family members in Wisconsin think that Chicago is balmy. My mother was born in the Chicago area, and she always talks about moving "back south" for the better winter.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
When the OP is worried about -85 degree wind chills, telling her that they're as likely as a hurricane seems relevant.
Anything below -20 windchill or so is pretty darn cold to most people. That is really all that matters to the OP or anyone else that asks. What is the difference if the windchill is -20,-50, or -85? Come on now. To many people not used to extreme cold, -20 would feel like -85.

The fact of the matter is most years we get multiple days that are brutally cold. Some years we get far more than others.

Why you keep trying to act like the winter weather will not be an issue here to many transplants, is beyond me.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
My family members in Wisconsin think that Chicago is balmy. My mother was born in the Chicago area, and she always talks about moving "back south" for the better winter.
I was in Indianapolis a few weeks ago. At the hotel where I was staying, there was a maid outside smoking while I was waiting for a friend to pick me up. It was a little windy out and the actual temp was probably 45 or so. The lady was shivering talking about how cold it was. I said, "You think this is cold?" "This is pretty nice for the end of November."

She said "Where are you from?" I replied "Chicago." She was like "Oh, ya you guys get it much worse than we do..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs