Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 06:37 AM

6 posts, read 14,717 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I just joined this website and am amazed by all the useful information availiable here.

Our HOA does not allow any type of shelter for a dog. However the Illinois Humane Care For Animals Act states an owner must provide "adequate shelter and protection from the weather."

Who is right in this situation? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 07:56 AM

610 posts, read 2,729,359 times
From my experience the HOA will over rule. You can keep your dog in your home or your garage, that is providing adequate shelter and protection from the weather. If your HOA allows sheds you could construct a heated shed. Sheds, fences, above ground pools, trampolines and dog houses/dog runs are heated items for residents and HOAs. In my experience the HOA has over ruled if the owners knew at the time of purchase that the rules and regs were in place regarding said issues.

PS Just wanted to add that I'm a dog lover (the bigger the better!) so I'm not one who is trying to prevent dogs from subdivisions

Last edited by irish setter girl; 11-19-2008 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: addes the PS note

Old 11-19-2008, 07:58 AM

57 posts, read 160,148 times
They are both right. There is a third option - bring the dog inside your house. If you can't do that- give it to someone who can. We had a contract security guard company provide dogs to guard a trucking firm next door- they all had well insulated dog houses. Even with the best dog houses- one of them died from hypothermia when the weather got down below zero.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 AM

Glad to hear you're a dog lover. I have a black lab who is the nicest dog in the world. He is very well behaved and leaving him inside is never an issue.

What is an issue though is my wife works nights, I work days and there is a 2hour overlap of our schedule twice a week. At that point we leave the dog in the back yard for two hours.

Any other time there is always someone there to supervise the dogs outdoor time. My dog loves to be outdoors. He doesn't care what the temp he would rather be outside than couped up in the house.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Where in the world do you live that doesn't allow dog houses? I just moved to the area and was pretty shocked by that.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:52 AM

Rockford il

Old 11-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Where in the world do you live that doesn't allow dog houses? I just moved to the area and was pretty shocked by that.
There are MANY subdivisions all over the country with HOA rules and regs that do not even let you paint your house without approval from the board. Structures in yards (playsets, dog houses, sheds, pools, decks,etc....) can all be "controlled" by HOA's. It is extremely important to check out all rules and regs of an association before buying or renting a home! There are some villages/towns/cities that have ordinances about said structures as well.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter5143 View Post
Glad to hear you're a dog lover. I have a black lab who is the nicest dog in the world. He is very well behaved and leaving him inside is never an issue.

What is an issue though is my wife works nights, I work days and there is a 2hour overlap of our schedule twice a week. At that point we leave the dog in the back yard for two hours.

Any other time there is always someone there to supervise the dogs outdoor time. My dog loves to be outdoors. He doesn't care what the temp he would rather be outside than couped up in the house.
You may have lready thought of this but is it possible to have a doggy door from your garage to the backyard? That way during the 2 hours the dog could hang out in a warm dog house in the garage but should he want/need to venture into the yard he could use the doggy door?

Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM

I could do a dog door but I am concerned about security. Also not to keen on cutting a hole in a brand new home.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter5143 View Post
I could do a dog door but I am concerned about security. Also not to keen on cutting a hole in a brand new home.
I thought if you have a service door from the garage to the backyard a doggy door might be easy to install in the door and if you ever wanted to you could just replace the door when the doogy door was not needed. They do make security doggy doors where the dog wears a collar and the collar opens the door - prevents other animals and people from using the door (unless they are holding your dog )

The only other alternative is getting a very discrete dog house and putting it in an obscure area and hope your neighbors don't complain

Just brainstorming with you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs