Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:10 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,780,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think that is sorta like saying "I decided to get a Corolla and stack $30,000 in the trunk so it would drive like a Lexus" -- there are differences in where one lives, of which schools are not the only factor.
True. But if you absolutely love Berwyn as is, there are ways to get around the public schools. That's all I'm saying.

BTW, some might consider Berwyn more of an MG or some other flawed vintage car that takes some work, but has potential. I'd call some boring reliable suburb a Corolla, like Downer's Grove or Mount Prospect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM

5,014 posts, read 9,455,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
In terms of the "old Berwyn culture", you would certainly know better than I. I'll defer to you on that one, and I'd love to hear how the culture of Berwyn is changing. I grew up in an uppper middle class family in a largely working class town. My extended family is multi-racial due to marriages and adoptions. And my family is just one generation removed from the farms, railroads, and factories. So I'm comfortable around most types of people in the world. But my wife and I both have advanced degrees, love fine dining and culture, and want to live around some like-minded people. Perhaps we are a bit yuppified. Are the educated urban liberals creating sizeable enclaves in Berwyn? Or are they scattered throughout in small concentrations? I suspect the latter--but would like to hear your thoughts on this.

My comments on being "forced out in five years" were based on the assumption that the OP was uncomfortable with the public schools in Berwyn. If this isn't the case, that comment doesn't apply.
Sounds like we have quite a bit in common! Let me put it to you like this – we have a much larger circle of educated and professional friends in Berwyn than we ever did in Oak Park. And that circle’s growing too. We have a party circuit, wine tastings, beer tastings, and dinner outings all the time. It’s not like we’re forced to sit at the corner dive bar watching “da Bears” for our social outlet. Maybe it’s because the young professionals moving here are making it a point to seek out like minded folks so they feel less isolated, as opposed to a more tony community where many of the residents consider themselves to be very special. What ever the case may be, we’re definitely happy with the social life we have developed within the community.

There’s definitely a unity here that you don’t feel in Oak Park, probably because the town is more “in flux” and people have a sense that they have to be proactive and stick together to make sure it stays on the positive path. Your abstract of Berwyn as distressed vintage car and Downers Grove as a Corolla comment nails it, except I’d call Downers more of a Lexus IS250 – a solid but rather boring “near luxury” vehicle I’ve actually used this analogy before, as it’s a pretty good one. For many people who live here, the community is a project, both your home and the community at large. If you want just stick the key in the ignition and have it start up every morning, Berwyn may not be a great choice. You sometimes have to jam a screwdriver into the starter motor when it’s 5 below zero here. Some wouldn’t have it any other way.

Of course, there are other “cliques” here, including what you’d probably define as the stereotypical blue collar joe. But I think the community has changed so much in the last 10 years that you can no longer really take one label and say that applies to the majority, especially that label. Today, you’ll find more “old Berwyn” culture in Plainfield and Bolingbrook than you will in Berwyn itself.

As to enclaves, most of our friends tend to reside around the Proksa Park area on the southwest side, though we have friends all over the city at this point. I know a more than a few artists and gay couples who prefer the north end due to the more “urban” atmosphere.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:13 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,632,311 times
It dosent really exist anymore, but if you want a glimpse into the "old" culture of Berwyn/Cicero, this book is really outstanding
Neighborhood: Norbert Blei
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs